1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm thinking of getting a tattoo-your thoughts please

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sunnii, Dec 16, 2012.

1. sunnii

I've thought about getting one in the summer but all I knew was I wanted like a word or phrase on my side. I couldn't think of anything and wasn't 100% sure I wanted one so I left it. But now im kind of wanting one again. Randomly the oher day I saw the phrase rise above hate and thought that would sound good for a tattoo.

Just want to hear what yall think. Btw I am aware the side of the torso is 1 of the most painful places tO get a tattoo

2. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If it's something you really want....and it's something you've really put some thought into (since tattoo's are, for the most part, permanent....I say go for it.

I have one tattoo. I drew it myself and then the tattoo artist made a stencil of it. It's kind of cool cuz I personally drew it. That was about five years ago before tattoo's really became mainstream.

I always thought that I would get more tattoos as time went on but (the rebel part of me) is hesitant because it seems EVERYONE has one now. Kinda weird, I know. Plus the fact that where I am, it's so damn expensive for even the smallest and simplest tattoo.

But like I said, if it's what you really want to do....go for it.

3. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I say, if you're sure you want to live with it for the rest of your life, and you'll be just as pleased 20 years from now as you will be the day you get it...go for it! :slight_smile:

I have three. I'm working on my fourth. I LOVE them.

I will say this...consider placement...and what that placement will be like as you age. For example, young women getting tattoos on their lower abdomens...before having children...might regret that after being pregnant as the pregnancy can distort/destroy a tattoo. So, get it in a place that will preserve it and where it age gracefully as you do as well...:slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

4. FemCasanova

I have a rather big one, on my ribs, and one on my lower back. Both places hurt like heck, though the ribs definitely hurt the most. But, if you really want a tattoo, it is really worth it. My best advice is to find something that will mean something for you. Something that is not just the spur of the moment, but something you could carry with you, with pride, for the rest of your life. I love both my tattooes, I took one when I was 18, and one when I was 23. Both mean something, both make me smile. It doesn`t have to be too serious. My rib one is of a Star Wars character. I chose that one, because it is something that reminds me of all the fun I have had with my siblings, who I have a close relationship with. It is a fun tattoo, it always makes me nostalgic and happy.

So, whatever you choose to do, think it over a good while before actually doing it. Make sure it is the right thing. And don`t get one somewhere cheap and dirty, you might end up with an infection and regret the whole thing. Go somewhere with a good reputation and look through their earlier work in their albums. Even if it is just writing, you want it to look nice. A tattoo and a person mate for life, the divorce option hurt a heck of a lot more than taking the thing in the first place, which is true for most divorces, I guess.

I love tattooes, and I would have gotten a third this year, if it hadn`t been for my computer breaking down. Now I have to get a new computer instead, which is a b****. But heck, so it goes.

Good luck, tell us what you decide :grin:

5. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

Yah if its something you thought a lot about and will be happy with it do it. Make sure you find a good artist that wont mess it up :slight_smile:

6. Caudex

Caudex Guest

If you're going to, I won't say it's bad. But you have to be careful, make sure 80 year old you will like it, and steer clear of pop culture because in 50 years, Star Wars might be considered boring by most people in the same way that many people consider the Sound of Music boring.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have to ask people on an internet messageboard for their opinion, you're not ready. My personal take. :slight_smile:

Lex

8. MixedNutz

My rule of thumb for first tattoos

Don't get something huge or very extensive
    Get it somewhere that can be covered with normal summer clothes
    Make sure it means something heartfelt to you

Always research the artist, ask to see pics of his past tattoos.
    Good luck and posts pics

9. Tiny Catastrophe

I have 2 tattoos and I'm getting another one. My rule is to make sure it's something meaningful and to make damn sure I'm ready for them. And I wouldn't suggest getting one on your side. Anything around the ribs and hips are extremely painful. My friend got her whole side done and she said it was horrible pain (and judging by the look on her face in the pictures that were taking while she was getting it I would say it hurt pretty damn bad lol)

10. prism

This.

I personally don't believe that there is any image or text that I would want to have permanently etched into my skin.

I had a teacher once that had an effective rule for tattoos: If he thought he wanted a certain tattoo, he would print it out and tape it next to his mirror, where he would be forced to see it every day. If a year passed and he still wanted the tattoo, he would get it. However, he admitted that there were several times that he got sick of seeing the image after a few months. I thought it was a pretty clever test.

11. starfish

I concur with the Representative from Colorado.

12. grizzleybear33

Give blood before you do... Since you can't for a year after you get a tattoo. Save a couple of lives

13. Delta

Have it drawn in the font you would have. Print it out and put it somewhere you will be forced to look at it. In 4 months, if you still want it that bad, get it. :slight_smile: I did that with my tattoo, and I don't see myself ever regretting it.

14. Motov

If you are willing to deal with the pain, realizing it will be permanent then go for it

15. 807

I have several tattoo's & do not regret them, but I got them because I liked the images. However watching these terrible TV programmes about tattooists it seems you now need a emotional reason to get a tattoo & to me that spells disaster.
    If we get a tattoo because we want one, then yes we all change our minds & opinions, but better to get a tattoo because you want one, than for some ephemeral desire. What is meaningful & emotional to you today may not be in a few months time & chances are it will be nothing but a reminder of a phase in a few years time. So my suggestion would be get a tattoo because you want one & make it an image that simply appeals to you. As what you like today, image wise, you will probably still also like in a few years time.

16. aeva

What I've done with 3 of my 4 is that I actually drew them on my body for several weeks, redrawing them when they got faded. I designed them all myself, so it was fairly easy to copy the original. The only one of mine that I even slightly regret is one I had drawn much smaller and in a different spot, but was told by the tattoo artist that he couldn't do it there that size and so switched it over at the last minute.

I completely disagree with 807, I think they should be something emotional and personal. The 4 subjects that my tattoos represent (2 people, 1 animal and 1 philosophy) are things that will never change or become less important to me. I have quite a few friends that got tattoos simply because they wanted one, and it's something that appealed to them greatly at the time and no longer has any importance to them. They all regret them. It's a terrible idea to go with something that you just like in the moment.

#16 aeva, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012