1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out at school or through Facebook?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wonderingdave01, Dec 17, 2012.

?

Should I come out at school or through Facebook?

1. School

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Facebook

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Neither right now, wait until college

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Other (state below)

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Or through neither yet?

My family accepts me
    Most of my friends will accept me

I've already built a support system, but I'm still in High School

The only thing that will happen is a couple of people won't like it/won't talk to me/won't be my "friend" anymore. They might also verbally pick on me (they wouldn't dare to physically touch me). Or that they might shout or whisper insults across the room.

It's easy to say "who cares what people think" but I have to spend 7 more months with these people. It's gonna be hard?

What do you think? Any advice? Where should I come out and why?

2. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think that it is black and white like that. I feel that you should start telling your close friends, then graduate to a little farther friends, and then good aquaintences. Then come out on FB. Therefore, your friends won't feel betrayed because you told the world before you told them. In addition, they will be less surprised. You could also ask their imput about the whole FB think once you come out to them, and based on how they know the other kids at your school, they can give you valuble imput.

3. jaysuss

I had quite of number of people who knew about me before I came out over Facebook. I have had nothing but support from everyone even though I live in the center of the LDS faith.

4. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Facebook. Is what i did today, pretty amazing feeling.

5. Capichino

Ok the ppl that won't be ok with it are NOT true freinds and if they do whisper things to u in class tell the teacher and if its not in class tell ur mom

6. Pain

Pain Guest

I suppose if you do come out now, you'll find out who your real friends are. In high school, people tend to be petty and still have their parents' ideals. People could treat it like it's a big deal, but that'll subside with the next 'big news' of a cafeteria fight. In college, people don't act like it's a big deal. They'll think "Oh, he's bi. Mkay."
    If you come out on FB, it'll feel impersonal. Did you think of only changing your 'interested in,' or making a status announcement? Furthermore, it'll spread on FB, because of people's need to gossip, and the immaturity of high school attitudes. FB makes it quite convenient, albeit impersonal.

Honestly, I would say, if you have a support system, why wait?

7. Both, but the status announcement will be the official statement.

It's just scary. I guess I just need to man up.

8. madi

Most people don't come out to everyone all at once. Maybe that is the right thing for you to do, but for me personally it has been better to come out to individual people I trust first. People I am super close to and care about. After that I came out to some acquaintances and now I am out on facebook also. The next step I need to make is coming out to my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing that. Maybe do something like that where you come out more gradually starting with individuals close to you.

9. grizzleybear33

I agree with this. Coming out in any manor would be very difficult but I think coming out on Facebook just seems waaaaay to impersonal and detached from everything. It would be nice for everyone to know without the rumor wheel starting up. When I do come out I plan on just not denying it anymore. Everyday there are people who joke with me about being gay so once I decide to most everyone would know the same day I came out. Up to you though.

10. Pain

Pain Guest

Not at all. It is scary, but a lot that goes into it, I'm sure you know, would be bracing yourself for the icy water when you take the plunge. When I began coming out, the only way I could was by not thinking about it. Just doing it.