1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Marriage...new idea?!?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wolfbane, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Wolfbane

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    so in Honors US History today...we're watching Iron Jawed Angels. If anyone has seen it, plz comment later on. But for those that haven't, its the struggle of women in the time during WWII, during President Woodrow Wilson's terms...it is about the women's struggle for female suffrage. It showed how they even had to fight other women for their goal, beause of different upbringings. The women decide to pickdet the front gates of White House for their idea, set up an organization that appeals for ammendment constantly, and even personall addressed the president. When the wartime came around, the women were arrested on bogus charges of 'abstructing traffic' because they continued to picket through wind/rain/snow/hate/abuse/misinformation. they stood strong through it all. In jail, the officers were cruel and hit/abused the women then bound one woman to the cieling as an example. In jail, all the women imitated the one cuffed to the cieling, holding hands above head and not talking/eating. They would not eat in prison because they were innocent and they knew they had done nothing wrong. They were then painfully forcefed and this act of violence sent outrage through millions of people. Eventually, Alice Paul and other women pull through the hate and through the disrupt by quoting president and putting it on banners...thus getting the right to vote after they take the men's positions in war and prove their worth. another tactic used is the parade....making a silent march that used political posters, sensually appealing outfits...and other characteristics that would catch attention.

I was thinking, like women's suffrage in the 1860's, there are less than 10 states, which is 1/5 ofthe voters, that are not allowed to married whom they choose, not allowed to express their own love legally, and are technically being financially penalized for their unwilling orientation. Heterosexually married couples have substantial financial help like tax money back, tax cuts, increased welfare, and other help....homosexual families cannot receive these financial helping methods because they cannot get legally married. the revised constitution clearly says that a man is free to the right of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. While the outlaw of gay marriage is unconstitutional, it is being enforced.

I was thinking, if we put some of the same tactics the female suffragists used to achieve their equality goal, would gays be able to achieve the right to vote? Of we paraded to Washington w/ men holding hands, dressed in tuxes, and being 'wed' on the way to DC....if we appealed directly to president/candidates/congress...if we continually picketed the gates of whitehouse NONSTOP...through rain/sleet/snow/shine....if we, if arrested, campaigned across the states, if we continued to show exampled even through bars.....would we be able to achieve the same effect on Americans?

Just some things to think about.

2. Bevo

Bevo Guest

Hmm i like that thinking..it makes perfect sense

It's a very interesting tactic which could very well work...it just shows you can always learn from history to apply to today's problems

3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Guest

The indoctrination of gay marriage is inevitable. It is a goal that will be met whether backward-looking conservatives like it or not. Maybe a display like this would serve as a good catalyst, but don't worry: it will come. :slight_smile:

'Phobes are a dying breed (and I like to think that members of the religious right are, too).

4. Jeimuzu

It'll happen. State by state, it'll happen.

As for the comparison to the suffragette movement, there's one problem - there were a lot more women than gay men. So if we're going for numbers to intimidate, it won't be quite so easy.

5. TyraBanksIsFierce

But we could get supportive straght people to help>? You wouldn't have to be gay to march/picket/whatever??????

6. Wolfbane

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    exactly lahan....and you guys say say it will happen. Well of course it will happen eventually...when someone decides to picket....when someone decides 'you know....maybe we should just give em marriage". You guys say it will happen state by state....and I wanna know just one thing: When? I hope to get married in my lifetime...

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Have you heard of the White House Easter Egg Roll? Many gay and lesbian families show up for this on the White House Lawn. I think its a great statement that they exist and they need protections!!

8. Wolfbane

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know what you mean Becky. I think it is pretty cool that same sex families can turn out for this event, and have a chance to openly enjoy themselves as a functioning family....it seems so nice and normal....too bad it isnt. I just want free rights for same sex marriages. They say that the law says that a marriage = a man loves a woman in holy matrimony......and I say....well change it. Anything can be changed. The constitution has been changed, the law has been changed previously....why not again.

How long will same sex families have to wait until they are given the simple liberty of legally loving whom they choose? A right given to those brothers and sisters of America that lead different-sex marriages, and whom interact with same sex famlies everyday. There is no difference in our mental capabilities, and there is no difference in our abilities to love. The only difference comes from the same sex inability to please the religion of the majority in a country that has a seperation between religion and government. A seperation of all religions from affecting the constitutional government.