1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"We're not homophobic; we just don't BELIEVE in gay people."

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RemyLeBeau, Dec 19, 2012.

1. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

So I received a call from a certain private college asking me to apply. I talked on the phone to a young woman, who overall was pretty nice. I had been interested in their occupational therapy programs, which is why I looked them up in the first place.

Anyway, she finished the necessary introductory spiel and asked if I had any questions. My second question was what their religion's view on gay people was. I mean, I wasn't trying to be rude, but I also wasn't about to consider a school where most of the people would hate me just for liking chicks, that's too much pressure. She got really quiet and confused, and asked me to clarify like 3 times.

I finally just came out (no pun intended) with, "Look, *her name here*, I'm gay, and though I respect your religion, I wouldn't want to go anywhere I had to constantly hid who I was. It's not like I'm gonna parade around in a rainbow flag, I'm just asking. That's all."

"Oh," she replies. "Well as long as you don't act all g- ... you know, it'll be okay. As for our views, we don't hate gays!"

"Um, okay."

"But we don't believe in them." At this point, I was the one who was utterly confused. I asked her to repeat this another time.

Finally, I just burst out, "Well that's silly! Are you saying you don't believe in me then?"

"*groan* No, I just don't believe your gay. It's not real."

"I'm sorry, what? But then if you don't believe in it then can't I just act like I normally do?"

"Um, it depends. And isn't it lesbian? You ARE a girl... right? Sorry if I'm wrong!" I told her I just didn't like that term and she apologized a thousand times and said she had to go, leavign me sitting there with a bad case of the "WHAT THE FUCK".

I mean, has anyone else experienced this whole "I don't care you're gay but I don't believe in it" silliness? I REALLY don't want to be rude to anyone's religion, but COME ON.

2. Given To Fly

Some people are weird. I mean, I don't beleive in Santa, but that doesn't mean he isn't real...

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Saying that they don't believe gayness is a thing saves them from a lot of backlash, I think. It is equally closed-minded and bigoted, and probably even MORE insidious because they hide their prejudice with coyness. It's also arrogant to believe they know that homosexuality is a choice made on a whim, when they denounce it and don't have any experience dealing with it constructively. But that's religion for you. Opinions first, facts never.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Some people just don't know any better. It takes all my patience in the world to just smile and walk away.

For some reason or another some people believe that being gay is something you can "disagree" on or not "believe" in. You know, just how I "disagree" that women should be allowed to vote :rolle:

At least you dodged a bullet there!! :grin:

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a school tell me the same thing when I was looking at going there. At least you found out their views before you went there.

6. ForceAndVerve

Are you crossing that institution off your list?

Sounds like a case of bigotry clashing with political correctness to form some odd line of thinking. They don't necessarily like your sexuality but they don't want to offend you over it either.

#6 ForceAndVerve, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  7. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

Just out right odd never had that happen to me

8. Awkward Balloon

I seem to be having the same problem with a really close friend.. This is what's keeping me from coming out to her :confused:

9. Jordz

That makes no sense, they are saying they aren't homophobic but they don't believe in them. That doesn't work. Homophobic means they don't like gays and they are saying they aren't, but by saying they don't believe in them basically means they don't like them and will not acknowledge them, that is basically being homophobic.

10. Gen

Gen

Its understandable. Many people havent properly spoted the super rare spawn that is, the Homosexual. I've heard that they have found a way to mutate their bodies to pose as everyday humans being.

Its really is quite 'unbelievable' when you think about it.

11. Linthras

Linthras Guest

That's like saying I don't hate women, I just don't believe in them.:bang:
    I've never encountered it before and it would be hard to not start laughing if I ever do.
    This is such a ludicrous notion that I wouldn't know whether to feel sad for such ignorance or laugh at its stupidity.

12. Hexagon

Its ridiculous. But I suppose the whole 'conversion therapy' thing rests on the premise that homosexuality is an illusion of sorts.

13. FemCasanova

Lol ... I almost felt sorry for the woman on the phone. Imagine having to be the one having to try explaining that sort of absurd thinking. I know I sure would not be able to, even if I whole heartedly believed it. Hmm. Though, in a weird way it makes sense. They cannot possibly hate something that does not exist. So, if they do not think it exists, they would not have to hate it. Maybe it is like an attempt at self-curing hate with stupidity? It is like being in this room, painted red. You hate the color red, because it freaks you out, but you don`t want to insult the owner of the house, so you close your eyes and pretend it is painted in a nice acceptable shade of blue, thinking that maybe you look like an a**, but at least you aren`t being offensive. Poor sod!
    *shakes head*

As silly as it is, I do think I would like that better than someone telling me I would go to hell for it, and how unnatural and *insert useless rubbish*. Or quoting the bible. I absolutely detest the bible, and that is all because of bible quoting a**-wipes. Last time Jehova`s Witnesses came to my door, I asked them if they were interested in me knocking on their door, to spend half an hour preaching about atheism. When they said no, I said that was what was going to happen if any one of them showed up at my door step ever again. Haven`t had a single one of them on my door since, rofl! It was awesome fun :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I probably would have used the same strategy on these people. I would say; "I share a similar philosophy, so I get it. I do not hate religious people, I just don`t believe in you. That you are really religious, or that there is such a thing as faith, I mean." Just to rattle some feathers :grin:

14. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

I don't believe in straight people, tbh.

[​IMG]

15. Given To Fly

How many times do I have to tell you people? RED DOESN'T EXIST!!! :bang::tantrum::bang:

16. LiquidSwords

I think what she's trying to say is that she doesn't believe people are gay, they're just choosing to act that way.

People who believe sexuality is a choice are either just incredibly stupid or are being willfully ignorant because they're bigoted :***:

17. TheUndiscovered

I don't really understand what people mean when they say they don't believe in gay people..I guess they think we all say we're gay but at the end of the day we don't really have sex with men and it's all some show. :eusa_doh:

18. Ticklish Fish

"I am not racist but I don't believe in latin & black"

^ would this phrase work in the same logic as the title? lol

19. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

Some days I feel like true gay people rarely exist, like we are a statistical outlier or an anomaly. I see way too much "in-between" going on here, too much bisexuality. Sure I tried "bisexuality" out but there's just no way I have urges or desires for the opposite sex. Ever. I see way too many guys calling themselves gay, yet they feel some urge from time to time for girls. I don't see enough true gays like me, that's why I call myself androsexual because I like men and men only. Gay is too broad.

20. Equalist

Equalist Guest

"I don't believe in gay people." -Works at private college

Oh, the irony. Isn't college supposed to be a learning environment?