1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After all that has happened what are your opinions on the gun laws?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheUndiscovered, Dec 19, 2012.

1. TheUndiscovered

With so many shootings in such a small amount of time President Obama is definitely getting more and more reasons to ban the possession of guns. Some still believe that man is still entitled to his rights to bear arms. While I have recently stood by this notion I am definitely having doubts about if our nation (The USA) should really be able to own firearms. To me it just seems ignorant to just sit back and say this won't happen again because the shooters weren't mentally stable. Well, it has happened again twice now. How many innocent people have to die before people really start to think that it just isn't as safe to let everyone own guns anymore?

2. Ticklish Fish

1) I think this apocalypse fad needs to stop. some people believe it forreal and stock up ammunitions
    2) i have no idea how easy it is to stock guns or permission or background check...
    3) I am surprised no one tried to poison the water of a city or something.
    4) this thread will be watched by admins and mods lol

3. madi

I think that we shouldn't ban guns, but I also think that it is waaay too easy to get ahold of them. Anyone can get a gun. It's not difficult at all. We need to put more laws in place and make it harder to qualify to get a gun.
    I think that these shootings have also brought another issue forward and that is how poor our system is with dealing with mental health issues.

4. Ticklish Fish

or the astigmatism in general of anyone who wants to see a psychiatrist or psychologist for any reason.

it's like, once you see one, you're mental!

kind of like, some people think that if two guys kiss, they are insta-gay!

people logic sometimes...

5. TheUndiscovered

What? I'm not making a thread on the end of the world I'm making one on the issue of gun handling. Why would the admins keep a close watch on this?

6. Ticklish Fish

i was just speculating the admin part lol. topics like this tend to get forum rules riled up.

also, from an article I read, the elementary school shooting's mother thought the economy was unstable so she taught her sons how to shoot and stock up on ammunition... it's kind of relatively close to apocalypse fanaticism

7. TheUndiscovered

I agree. I think there should be a difficult system with a series of mental health evaluations as long as you own a gun. People need guns for protection but it should be a lot more difficult to purchase one.

---------- Post added 19th Dec 2012 at 04:47 PM ----------

I can imagine a lot of people are equating the shooting with 2012.

8. madi

lol yes! and even if someone has a mental illness it is so socially unacceptable. People instantly think they are psycho. We need to change how people view mental illness because really they are no different than any other illness.

9. Ticklish Fish

kind of like back in Swine Flu, people would think a simple cough is a disease?

I mean, some people likes to hunt deer and things.
    but like, not everyone likes to shoot animal for fun, so why those people have recreation guns is a mystery to me... *trails off*

10. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Certain guns need to be banned, such as assault rifles. There is no logical reason for any average American citizen to possess one. We're not living in a warzone.

Also, the process to purchase a gun needs to be even more difficult than it is now.

Of course, these actions wouldn't completely prevent shootings from occurring. But doing absolutely nothing about America's gun problem is just reckless. Pretending there isn't a problem won't make it go away.

11. Ticklish Fish

and before people bitch about video games showing guns, what happened to hack and slash with swords or magic? oh right, devil-worshipping because of magic. *facepalm*

what about puzzles and platforms? too classic? too retro? not profitable? *facepalm*

12. Fire2free

Fire2free Guest

I'd like to point out that with most shootings recently there has been mental health issues. I'm my view I'd like to see some study taken about registered gun owners that have medication for problems such as bipolar disorder.

13. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because its one of those topics that tend to attract certain types of people who represent the extreme elements of all sides of the arguments, and those peeps are notorious for measuring discussion success based only on who can shout the loudest. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Regarding views on gun laws, this is one of those hot topic issues that I'm glad the UK doesn't have to deal with. I personally don't see the need for guns, but I'm from a different sociocultural setting so tis neither surprising or relevant to the discussion on US law. All I will say is the observations I've done over the years when following US politics has just made me feel that both sides often have fundamental flaws in their ideological positioning, and I can't see anything changing unless people actually discuss gun laws with the intent to listen to the other side, rather than making it another Roe v Wade style discourse.

14. Ticklish Fish

in UK, don't you guys have like active royal army or something to keep citizen safe?!

15. TheUndiscovered

From what I understand no one not even the police carry guns. One might say this is silly and dangerous but one may also say that it is safer because no one has access to guns.

16. Zontar

Gun laws aren't solving the real problem: the obsession with fame and violence in this country, together with the single worst healthcare system in the world. Banning semiautomatic rifles isn't going to stop these same fame-obsessed nutbags with exploding a Ryder in front of a school McVeigh style. It's a band-aid to a deeper issue, namely the increasing normalization, legitimization, and freeing of what are effectively incurable burdens on society.

#16 Zontar, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  17. Salazar

I am strongly behind the right to bear arms, upon the filling of certain conditions. After all my dad has two shotguns! I think the system we have here in the UK is really a very good one, if not slightly too strict. Handguns are illegal, as are assault rifles. Essentially, the only legal firearms here are shotguns, and you have to demonstrate a requirement for the weapon, even if the reason is recreation, as in my dads case. It makes for a much safer country. As a result we have many orders of magnitude fewer gun deaths here than in the US (58 deaths per year here compared to 87 per day, according to this woman Gun Death Stats In UK | Gifts Of The Journey ). As such, our police are not regularly armed, and when such proposals come up, they are struck down very quickly.

I don't think it's possible to enforce a system like ours in the US, nor do I think it should be, however there is certainly no need for a civilian to have an assault rifle! I think ranges should have licences to possess assault rifles, but no individual should personally own it, especially without check on everything, including mental health.

18. Ticklish Fish

the healthcare is fine, I think it's more like lifestyle... and diet LOL.

IDK about the obsession with fame and violence part, is that why a lot of people upload their own "famous" videos on youtube?

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For what it's worth, in the case of the Newtown shooting, all the background, medical checks, and licenses in the world would not have made a dent. All the guns were owned by the shooter's mother. He stole a few of them, capped her on the way out, and proceeded to show everybody that something has to change.

There were some (on the far right I imagine) that suggested the teachers optionally carry concealed. I tend to agree with this, because no matter how many regulations pass or even if all guns are banned/confiscated, there will still be MILLIONS of weapons that slip by. Unfortunately, those are the ones we really have to worry about. If our politicians are surrounded by armed guards, why shouldn't our children, helpless and densely packed in a place that's blatantly a soft target, have the same protection?

People oppose the idea saying "I couldn't send my kid to school knowing that a bunch of teachers are carrying guns." It sounds really bad to an anti-gun person, but there is so much more to this idea. For one, concealed carry permit holders are not gangbangers; certification requires training, which not only means they are capable of shooting well, but skilled in keeping the gun secure. I guarantee no responsible carrier will let his or her weapon get into the hands of a student. Furthermore, we already require extensive background checking of teachers, so nothing would change there. And if a crazed dude comes in packing heat, he'll be staring down a bunch of people who are instantly ready to oppose him in defense of the kids.

I acknowledge that this is a very conservative view, but the left needs to understand that guns are not bad. They make it easy for bad people to do bad things, but they also make it easier for good people to stop those bad people. Otherwise, the gun-control advocates would also support totally disbanding our nation's millions-strong military on the logic that the terrorists will follow suit. The world is an ugly place sometimes, and in cases like mass shootings, we literally need to fight fire with fire.

**addendum: Salazar, people in the US don't have assault rifles either. They are defined by the US Army as "selective fire" which means they can fire either one shot at a time, or burst/fully automatic. The only rifles we can have without strict regulations are semi-automatic, one bullet per trigger pull.

#19 Argentwing, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  20. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not overly familiar with how the British army structures itself, but I can't think of any divisions that operate that publicly and have guns. The only exception to this would be the Queen's guard, but depending on the country's alert level then these tend to be unloaded. If the alert level indicates any sort of imminent danger then the guns will be loaded, and they may be outside 10 Downing Street and Parliament too. Perhaps also other high risk area such as airports, seaports etc, but at that point I'm assuming.

Although I did make a mistake above too. Northern Ireland apparently allows their police to carry firearms, which is something the other 3 UK countries do not. Only certain divisions can use firearms, but our Metropolitan police do not.