1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shit, got a bad grade

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ticklish Fish, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Ticklish Fish

Should I retake it?

it's related to my major >_>

technically my overall GPA is not failing, but it's just this class. this one class. D:

#1 Ticklish Fish, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  2. prism

Depends on a lot of factors. There's too much information missing for anyone here to give you specific advice.

The first thing you should do is talk to an adviser at your school. It's their job to assess your situation and guide you down the best path.

Also, what do you mean by "bad grade"? I'm assuming you didn't fail, otherwise you would have to retake it for your degree. Here are a few things you should consider:

- Is it worth the time it will take to retake it? You're giving up the opportunity to take a different class, so it might not be worth it just to change a 'B' to an 'A.'

- To put things in perspective, calculate what your GPA would be if you retook the class and got a "good grade." Depending on what year you're in, it may be a very small change and thus not worth it.

- Check what the class is a prerequisite for. More advanced courses might require prerequisites with minimum grade requirements (i.e. You need a grade of C+ in Calc I to take Calc II). You don't want to find out later that your grade isn't high enough for another required class.

Hope this helped! Good luck!

3. Have you retaken a course before? At my school you can only take courses again with grades C- and below. Also, depending on what you plan to do in the future (medical school, graduate school), the way your second grade contributes to your GPA may differ. Some future programs may replace your first grade with your second grade, while others may take the average grade between the two grades. Also, consider transcript notations if that matters to you.

4. Deaf Not Blind

^ Agree with above.
    Also, assuming it is C...
    if you are going to be a lawyer, who wants you if your grades include Cs?
    Other bosses could weed you out for the lower grade if it comes down to your vs another guy just as qualified.
    If your next class builds upon the material, you could be lagging behind for a long time...maybe better to do it again be a bit behind but get As from here on out.

5. Ticklish Fish

it was a D+ :frowning2:
    not even a C

that's how hard I failed

I mean, it's just one class because I had trouble juggling this semester...

and looks like no masters for me

also, my cumulative GPA is ok, but it's just one class >_>

#5 Ticklish Fish, Dec 21, 2012
  6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if the grade has an impact on whether you can apply/enrol in the masters, and if this is what you would like to do, I would suggest to retake the class.

7. Ticklish Fish

I just looked... looks like the class is already filled and registered with people :/

looks like i might need 5 years to graduate, or 4.5 years ._.

EDIT:

I also felt stupid for not dropping the class when I know I am doing bad.. but then I don't know if it would drop the lab too and if I would get financial aid.

I JUST FEEL STUPID. WHY DID I SIDETRACK?!
    WHY WERENT I STUDYING AS I HAVE BEEN DOING THE PAST FEW YEARS?!

UGH.

I want to make a long post, but I kind of don't want to now

#7 Ticklish Fish, Dec 21, 2012
  8. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try not to beat yourself up about it. You made the choice you did, because you felt it would still be okay to continue in the class. It also sounds like that there was a financial reason which needed to be taken into account.

If you feel you need to vent, go for it. Sometimes, that is what one needs to do to move on from a decision taken earlier.

In the meantime you could also try talking with a undergrad/grad advisor and try finding out if they would consider a course in lieu of... sometimes that is an option too.

9. Ticklish Fish

I actually need that class to take another class in next fall, but with the spring version now filled, I just need to keep checking to see if anyone drops and have space :frowning2:

also, if i were to rant, it will be filled with quite a bit of jealousy, self-hatred.... and part of my fault is that it was my decision, so no, I probably shouldn't even complain because there are people who might be worse off than me anyways

10. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's unfortunate that the course is a prerequisite. If you have the option of getting on a waiting list, try doing that.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So what? You'd be surprised how many are taking extra years. I took five. Really it just means you enter your masters more mature. It's a good thing.

12. Ticklish Fish

Ok, I just got my spot back to retake the class next semester...