1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Dating Sites: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Saviour, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Saviour

Saviour Guest

I'm sure we've all had an experience where some online sparks caught on fire, since its starting to pick up in pace, what's your opinion on online dating and online dating sites?

To me personally, it seems like they're just more of...hook up sites. I'm sure a few people got lucky, but for most of us it's been a nightmare.
    I just find it hard to trust someone I can rarely see in person.

2. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Pretty much my experience in a nutshell. I gave up on them a while ago. I to find it hard trusting people i can rarely see. Besides the msjority of the ones i found may have well 'hook up' in big letters since that what they badically were.

So my answer would be Nay

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay

(though really the question should be: "Yea or nay", in which case my answer would be "Yea")

#3 Pseudojim, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  4. Jim

Jim

I've never been on one, I think you need to be 18... I met my girlfriend online though.

5. yoBRO

Never experienced any online-relationship type thing, but I'm not opposed to it...
    so really, Yay!
    Love in all forms, right? :lol:

6. dano22

dano22 Guest

I just had a really bad experience so I am gonna say nay.

7. Jared

I met the guy I'm seeing right now on a hook up app and it's been going really well. He's really sweet and we get along really well. I haven't seen him lately since I'm home in NorCal for the holidays. But when I go back to LA I'll see him. We go to the same school and even live in the same dorm :slight_smile: I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

8. Colton

Well I haven't been on one, seeing as I'm not old enough, but I met my current boyfriend online, so I say Yay!

9. Given To Fly

I met some of my best friends through an internet forum.

I haven't built up enough courage yet to try internet dating yet though. The whole 'hook-up' mentality kind of puts me off, as casual flings just don't appeal to me. Maybe I'll give it a go one day though, never know the guy of my dreams might be out there...

10. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My experience with men on online dating sites is that most are just looking for hook-ups. So my vote is a nay

11. RainbowBright

I think the situation is very different for lesbians online than it is for gay men. Women are far more apt to be looking for serious relationships, and it is pretty easy to tell who is not. On the other hand, I haven't looked, wouldn't gay men also have the option of citing how serious of a relationship they are looking for? - and then are you looking at people who have "marriage/serious relationship" on their profile but they aren't when you meet them? Or are there just not that many serious guys to choose from?

I haven't been on any dates yet, but I've done a lot of browsing, and I think it's a YAY, there seem like a lot of women whom I would be interested in at least a first date, and who would likely at least make great friends. Since we are already in the minority, I think it would raise chances the most to find someone - checking out my local scene is not likely to be enough. Even in my non-photo browsing I have already made a few friends I still keep in touch with - so YAY! (But I will say, I am super turned off by the number of shallow people I find who apparently do nothing but drink and are very critical when it comes to a potential partner, so for that part, nay...) Oh yeah, but the one thing I fear is the supposedly very incestuous local lesbian scene, I don't want to go on 4 dates and find out they've all dated each other! Then if I strike out with one, the next date will already have heard about whatever I did wrong!

#11 RainbowBright, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  12. hello1992

Its something might consider, but i'm afraid that its just used for hook-ups which isn't really sort of my thing at all, i'd like to get to know people first...

I guess thats the good thing about sights like EC. So i guess nay??

13. leer

I know people that use it for one night stands exc It`s just plain lazy in that aspect .

14. Nash

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There are a lot of people only looking for hookups online, but there are also a lot of people who are genuine and looking for a relationship, friends or support. The issue I think a lot of people have, especially around where I live is I am a two hour drive from the closest city which would have a place to meet someone. There is no gay community near me and it seems the only logical place to meet people sometimes. I say yay for some!!!

15. ORly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I have received zero responses or messages from any girls, so I'm leaning more towards nay. (I think if I was looking to hook up it'd be perfect honestly...)

Oh, Actually... I suppose it's not truly zero messages as I've gotten tons of messages from straight guys until figured out how to hide my profile.

16. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I wouldnt say no to it. If the girl is genuine and lives close enough, why not!

17. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have met two of my best friends through dating sites.

18. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say nay, because even if I managed to find someone who shared my interests AND was actually looking to slowly get into a serious relationship (most people that have resorted to a dating website are either looking for sex, or looking to immidietly jump into a relationship), I'd have a difficult time feeling comfortable. I like to start dates casual, without any big expectations, whereas if you meet through a dating website, usually the bar is high, people want to just skip the small talk and get right into things. Not my style :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I usually like to meet people casually, and if I like them, build a friendship (but not waiting too long) and segue into a romantic relationship. It just makes everything more relaxed, and it feels way more legitimate than the "Dating first, feelings later" mentality.

19. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm kind of cut in between. I met a woman online when I was 16. She was 24, but I was ok with that since I prefer older women and 16 is the age of consent in my state (even though the website had an 18+ age restriction, so I had to lie at first >_>). The relationship went well during the first few months, but she eventually started to attend church and ended our relationship due to her religious beliefs.
    It really depends on what you're looking for. If you decide to go try online dating, make sure you make it clear on what you're looking for in someone. Also be very careful. You never know who you're talking to online.