1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Birds and the Bees...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by myheartincheck, Dec 23, 2012.

1. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For those of you who want children or are open minded to the idea, what are your views on giving them "the talk?" (Or perhaps you don't want children but have strong ideas about this subject) :slight_smile:

Let me clarify... do you feel it should be taught in schools, or that the parents should be held responsible for teaching their children about sex and sexuality? Or both? Or that they should be taught "the good old fashioned way" by experience?

Just fulfilling a curiousity of mine. :grin:

2. Capichino

I do not like the idea of learning it in school it's very aquard and werd and bad I think it should be the old fashion way

3. Parents for sure, if you where in school and out people would bully you forever!

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Parents. The average parent does little enough as it is, and if left up to a possibly incompetent teacher and kids who might not be ready for the talk all at once, the kid could have a very broken idea of what a sex life is like and take quite awhile to sort it out for themselves.

I had sex-ed in school, but it was assumed that we all knew already to insert tab A into slot B. What was discussed was the anatomy and function of the parts, and why we shouldn't use them without protection.

However, I am undecided on teaching LGBT sensitivity. On one hand, tolerance and open-mindedness are also the responsibility of the parents. But on the other, bullying about gayness happens in school. If the kids learn that LGBT is not wrong or shameful before they are mean to each other, we might not only change hundreds of lives for the better, but actually avert tragedy in some extreme cases.

#4 Argentwing, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  5. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like you guys may have some personal experiences with this! :grin:

***Also: I tried to make a poll for this, but unfortunately I ran out of time since you're only allowed ten minutes after posting to add a poll, but it was like this:***

Option 1: I feel nothing toward this subject/have no opinion.
    Option 2: They should learn the old fashioned way... by personal experience!
    Option 3: Its up to the schools to teach Sex Ed to our kids/teens!
    Option 4: The responsibilty lies therein with the parents to inform their children/teens about sex and/or sexuality!
    Option 5: I believe Sex Ed should be taught both in school, and in the home.
    Option 6: Not only should children/teens be taught Sex Ed, they should be informed on different sexual orientations and identities!

Sorry I couldn't get the poll up and I had to do it like this. :grin:

6. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    option 6 obviously.

7. timo

So very much this. I know society is heteronormative but I believe it's a good idea to teach children at a young age about sexual minorities. It will make them more informed on the subject and therefore hopefully more accepting.

I'm glad they'll soon start giving education like this in Dutch primary and secondary schools.

8. Jordz

I agree with you there mate, but I think it could also be awkward with parents aswell :confused: So the old fashioned way is what i'd say

9. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Option 5!

10. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    Before i get into this post forgive the typing errors, mainly capitals and what not. I am on my tablet.

I believe the way sex is taught in schools nowadays is the right way to go, that is, from a reproductive point of view. That unfortuanately means that this only beneficiates heterosexual people but sex ed is designed to answer where children come from.

That is not to say i don't disagree with the idea that sexuality should also be taught in schools. Sexuality should of course be taught, but the nitty gritty dirty bits such as what goes where should be taught exactly as it is in the classrooms today.

Parents are of course entitled to teach their children about sex, but I dont necessarily think one is better than the other. I was taught sex in primary school and I didn't find that hindered my understanding at all. Honestly if my parents started talking about sex ed i would have probably would have just nodded a hell of alot just to get out of there.

I definitely think that parents should be there to answer any of the questions the child may have after being taught at school. Simply asking your children "did you understand what you were taught today?" Would definitely be ideal.

11. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you believe that this would benefit those in high school? Do you believe different levels of sexuality should be taught at different ages?

I'm of the personal belief that high school students need to know how to PREVENT procreation lol but this is just IMO. I believe the point you're making is valid for those in primary school. :slight_smile:

12. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No it isn't. Sex Ed. is designed to not only do that, but teach children about safe sex, stds, genital health, et cetera. That should obviously include LGBT people too.

13. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    As this was a topic on the birds and the bees I had to make that point that the way it is taught in schools now is acceptable. Reproduction should be the focus in my opinion to avoid confusion.

The teaching of sexuality though, that is something I am definitely in support for, but I have to ask myself to what extent? Besides teaching about the different types of sexual orientation and discouraging the discrimination that comes with it - what else would need to be taught?

As for procreating i don't know. Its definitely the role of the parent to teach their children when its ok to have sex. Teachers already do enough by teaching them about the dangers of having sex- such as STIs and pregnancy. It is far more important to teach safe sex, which is what is being taught in classrooms today.

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2012 at 10:33 AM ----------

Forgive the wording there. Sex ed is of course a much broader topic- but when it comes to the actual topic of sex, then reproduction has to be the focus.

14. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

If I have children, I'd explain fertilization to them when they're 8 and the mechanics of human intercourse. In completely scientific terms without visuals, though. I'd prefer to be the one teaching my children about reproduction though and I'd definitely prefer they know before like 12 or 13 which is when a sex ed course would teach them. Metaphors like birds and bees - I will not use.

15. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What about the stork? :grin:

16. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

That is a lie that parents tell their children because talking about sex makes them uncomfortable. No.

17. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know. I'm just teasin'. :wink: I heard in the old days, people would say pregnant women "swallowed a watermelon" around children...

18. Fiddledeedee

Opinionatedness time!

Sex ed should be compulsery in school beyond the age of, say, 14, including lessons on contraception, sexuality, relationships, etc.. From maybe 10 or 12, learning about human reproduction and puberty should be compulsery. Before these points, lessons in less detail (as in, age-appropriate) should be given but the child should be able to withdraw from the classes should they and/or their parents so desire.

This means that all children will have a thorough grounding in biology, which is important and something they should learn from teachers rather than less qualified parents, and in sex and issues surrounding it, regardless of the beliefs of their parents, before they are likely to be sexually active. The ability for children to withdraw is for if they are not ready for the lessons or if they/their parents have beliefs contradictory to the lessons, but the education does need to happen at some point.

The idea of having it in school at all is because biology should be, as I said, taught by those qualified, and the more complicated things surrounding sex should have a less potentially biased source than parents; otherwise, some teens might never learn about, say, contraception, which is very important. However, parents should at all stages be encouraged to keep an open dialogue about sexual issues with their children, giving information they feel is appropriate, especially if they choose to not have their child in all the lessons.

Opinionated time end!

19. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

I'd just say "That woman has a parasite"

20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as teaching different sexualities, could it simply be a footnote around 6th grade where they go over how some people like their same gender, some like both*, and showing them the Kinsey scale?

*Didn't include pansexuality, because in my own experience, there was really no such thing as other gender identities. Not that it's not just as respectable, only that it was never seen in the open.