1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmm..i find it odd...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mattyboo, Feb 22, 2008.

1. mattyboo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [/COLOR]
    :dry: :eusa_doh:
    I realized something today. Well more like last night. Is that at school, more particularly my school, that the girls are ok with gay guys. But when it comes to lesbians they don't like it. And everytime I ask someone if they like gay people, they reply with a "yeah it doesn't bother me" but yet they still don't like the lesbians. I also realized that it may be to them that 'gay' is considered for guys only. I understand why, but I mean its short for homosexual. And if a girl is a homosexual then isn't she gay too? I think people just reference 'gay' more to men and 'lesbian' to women. and im not trying to get all mean or like "thats so wrong" but i just kind of don't understand.:confused: if someone could help explain maybe?¿ and me and my friend had a two hour convo last night about like everything. and you know how some guys think lesbians are hott, but they don't like gay guys. hmm its odd. i guess both gender groups like the opposite but not the same. idk. im just confused. if someone could help explain itd be great=]
    Matt_*//

2. SadConfusedBandGeek

Ya i've seen that, its not big at my school. No one really cares who gay/straight/bi wutever lol. But girls tend to like lesbians less, and guys tend to like gays less.

It cause girls like guys, so they can see why guys like guys too. They see it as normal cause they can relate. but they dont like girls in that way, so they think its weird that other girls do.

same thing with guys and gays lol.

its kinda dum, because i don't judge that thing on how "gross" or "normal" i think it is. I just think that people can love whoever they want. But not everyone sees like that (to bad tho)

#2 SadConfusedBandGeek, Feb 22, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  3. Wired106

lol that stuff is sort of common sense haha. You're sort of asking a question like why don't we call girls boys also... Gay = boy homosexual, and lesbian = girl homosexual. The reason heterosexual guys like lesbians because they like GIRLS. and the reason why heterosexual girls might like gay people is because they like BOYS. and the reason why gay people like boys is because they are gay.. lol. Hetero boys like girls and lesbians because they are the opposite sex and that is what they like. that is why their called heterosexual. Kinda like why gay people like boys. Why don't you like girls? Because you and me and a lot of other people are gay. :slight_smile: lol anyways, thats what i think ^^

4. KatoKumi

Wow I didn't see you around when I came back
    I thought you like, left.

And I think it's because young hetero boys tend to find things weird if they don't understand anything in any way. With lesbians, it's something sexually appealing to them. Because there's no men involved, there's no emotional aspect they have to understand. But when it comes to gay men, they don't understand the feeling you get when you're with a guy. It's just based on them having to come to terms with it. Mature boys don't bother me, only the ones that still say "Adam and Steve."

:/

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think more than anything, lesbians don't threaten straight men because the lesbians are not going to be into them but a straight guy can still relate to them as sexual objects, whereas having a guy who could potentially be interested in you can upset your understanding of your own sexuality. And vice versa for women.

6. pirateninja

With people I have known, certain girls are okay with gay guys, but don't like lesbians because they're afraid they'll hit on them. However guys don't like butch lesbians, because they don't like to be seen as less masculine than a girl, and they don't like gay guys because again they're afraid they'll hit on them.

7. divadarya

It's funny...."Gay" does seem to be a blanket term, like "Transgender". You can say "the gay community" and inferentially include Lesbians, but you'd never say a guy is a lesbian(unless he's one of those cornball straight guys who says "I'm a male lesbian, har har har".
    Just as Transsexuals are Transgendered but not all Transgendered are Transsexuals, you could say Lesbians are Gay but not all gay people are Lesbians.
    (more coffee)

8. Ty

Ty Guest

I had to read the last bit a few times to understand it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Congratulations for making me '......wait what?' :grin:

9. jab429

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After I came out to my bestest friend, she told me "I am okay with gay guys, but I don't know about lesbians."

I think it is dumb, I love lesbians! A few of my best friends are lesbians.

#9 jab429, Feb 23, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  10. Psychedelic Bookmarks

yeah, i think "gay/homosexual" is both, lesbian is just...uh... lesbian :grin:

as for people being ok with one and not the other: those people just have some logic flaw going on. usually to do with gender boundaries being threatened / fear of getting hit on / fear of being gay themselves / attraction towards one or the other.

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That's a good point and i know exactly what you mean. The term "gay" is sometimes assumed to include lesbians, but the term "lesbian" never includes gay guys. Phrases like "gay pride" and "gay community" are good examples, as they are assumed to include gay guys and lesbians, and indeed probably most LGBT people.

Male dominance again, perhaps?

12. Psychedelic Bookmarks

i think it's because gay women can sometimes be marginalised in the gay community. hence we have our own word, lesbian, to claim as our own...? it's part of a sad trend in lots of words - eg actor/actress etc.

13. Ty

Ty Guest

I used to wonder this when I was like 7 in the playground (I was well aware of men liking lesbians so I assumed the opposite)

Maybe this was just an example of me being gay as a child ? :slight_smile:

14. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

Haha when I wnt to elementary and people called each other fags the guys used to say "Yeah I'm a lesbian cuz i like women" lol so i said" But lesbian is still the same thing as gay so you're calling your self gay.." and my friends figured it out too. But yeah good times. You made me har har har diva =]

15. JSG

JSG Guest

To those cornball straight guys :
    Oh, you're a lesbian? How did you hide your homosexuality before you came out? :eusa_eh:

16. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's that (the way the male gendered form of words is often used to describe an entire group) but it's also reflective of the fact that the modern gay civil rights movement started up around the same time as 3rd wave feminism got going in the late 60s/70s, so a tiny bit before it was seen as important for women to not be subsumed by male adjectives/nouns. Also, it's quite possible it had a lot to do with people feeling more of a pressing need for unity with other queer people than a need to have the movement fragmented into the alphabet soup we have now (glbttsqqi etc).

It's also likely the media reported on the movement using the male gendered term as a convenient shorthand. Even today, they usually refer to the gay and lesbian civil rights movement or maybe if you're REALLY lucky they'll throw in bisexual. I can't really see a news anchor doing a report on the GLBTQ Pride Parade...

That's why I like "queer," because well beyond the politics of it, the fact its use as an umbrella term originated in the academic community, or the whole debate around whether epithets can or should be reclaimed... it's just really convenient.

I believe in gender-neutral terms like flight attendants, fire fighters, postal workers/mail carriers, etc. It's kinda annoying that people have started using "actor" to refer to both men and women who act, just because actor is the male term, although I appreciate the sentiment behind it. Still, it's pretty much moot until award shows stop giving out awards based on gender categories. (Personally I think it's because most women can act circles around most men. *grin*)

17. InaRut

Well the lesbians around our school tended to be a bit butchy and outspoken so alot of people sorta put their noses up at them. I can still think of one lesbian (there was 3 that I knew of) who still kept her girl friends after comming out but I don't know what the TRUE relationship was like....

The other 2 happen to be my friend and I know the one lesbian people don't mind but the other one can cause an uprising...

As for the gay kid I knew about...He still got along well enough I think, but he did face alot of verbal abuse (like rumours and "Jokingly insulting.") from his peers...

But for the most part the gays got along with the straights.

18. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Sorry to post hijack, but it is relevant: to joeyconnick, I say "actor" for both genders because it is the basic form of the word and just means a person who acts. I see no need for "actress", so I never say it. Also, if you use actor and actress, then you have to go around saying both all the time. Just using the same basic word for everyone is much easier.

19. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it may be the "basic" form of the word but until recently it was pretty highly gendered (i.e. it meant a man who acts/performs and you would not have called a woman who acts anything but an actress) so to me its use as a gender neutral word is somewhat unfortunate. It's not tragic but like I said, it's a little irrelevant given that screen and stage acting awards are so caught up in "best actor" and "best actress." Whether you rename those "best male actor" and "best female actor," the whole affair is still segregated by gender.

On a related note, when I was growing up, we would use the terms "female" and "male" when specifying the gender of someone whose position was traditionally seen as held primarily by someone of the other gender (i.e. male nurse, female doctor, male secretary, female CEO, etc.) But lately I've noticed people using "woman" nearly exclusively in those cases where a woman is in a position tradtionally seen as masculine (woman doctor, woman CEO, etc.). Has anyone else noticed this and does anyone know why? To me it just sounds really wrong. I've always treated "woman" and "man" as nouns (and was taught that's what they were), not adjectives, so it makes no sense to me.

20. Alexander

I think that straight girls like gay guys for a lot of reasons. We understand relationships with guys. We are guys that they can hang around without worrying about sexual tension. We often let them do the clingy girl crap that some girls do. So basically, we're better than straight boyfriends, except there's things we can't do. This is basically reversed for straight guy/lesbian relationship - everyone can be more masculine with no stereotypical female frufru.