1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oblivious people

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chloeles12, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Chloeles12

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I was wondering how many people have had similar experiences with people oblivious to the LGBT community around them.
    In my health class, we had a short discussion about LGBT people and why they wouldn't come out in our school. One kid said that he didn't think there were any in our school. The teacher just says, "Oh, really? You think so?" And I'm silently cracking up in the corner because there are two of the five people in my grade( that I know of) in that class. I had to try really hard not to catch the other persons eye and my friends who didn't know probably thought I was insane. :grin:

2. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i am that person

3. RainbowBright

There are oblivious people everywhere. Remember though that just as much as you may be very conscious of LGBTQ issues, you may be oblivious to poverty in your school, or racial issues, or issues of gender inequality, or disabilities/chronic illness... we can't be experts in everything, and the person who had no clue about gay people may be able to run circles around you fixing a car or helping you with your computer. So it's annoying, but that's why it helps to be patient so we can all teach each other - we all look like dummies to somebody.

4. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Yup I know a lot of oblivious people to the LGBT community, though I think I was a little oblivious to it myself. I find I'm constantly having to teach my mom things about LGBT all the time. I've found a lot of straight people I have talked to don't know that the rainbow is a sign for gay pride.

5. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    My extended family comes to mind, unfortunately. They're extremely religious, not to connect oblivion or ignorance with religion, since that's not always the case. But as much as I love them, I do notice that many of them are so tied to their religious views and personal beliefs - which to my dismay includes rejecting homosexuality - that they tend to assume most people around them believe the same. And so, the thought of anyone they know personally being gay or queer just doesn't cross their minds very much. It isn't really thought of as something they would need to 'deal with', if that makes sense, so they tend to be oblivious about gay people and the gay community.

But, what do I know? For all I know, they could know a lot about the LGBTQ community. I just doubt it, as much as I'd like to think otherwise.

6. MixedNutz

I'm in the same boat as Thieves.

My parents were always religiously oblivious growing up, as in never talked about, never mentioned, never hinted, never asked. Nothing. My father has made unfriendly comments about programs I had been watching such as Glee, but my mother would regularly watch it with me and may have some sort of inkling in her mind now.

7. LiquidSwords

Haha same! I mean there must be gay people around me but who are they and how do I meet them?

Everyone seems to have gay friends but me, and I'm the one who needs them most :icon_bigg

8. Adelaida

Love this, RainbowBright. Well said, and it's so true. It reminds me of a teenager I knew who stated that no one was actually addicted to or using drugs. They were just saying that to sound cool. He had never had any personal experience with someone who was a drug user, so he just assumed that they didn't actually exist, at least not in his school.

Some schools are coming a long way, though. One of the high schools I work in has posted signs on several classroom doors designating the classroom as a "safe zone" for LGBT individuals and has a bulletin board dedicated to LGBT issues. The only way to change attitudes is through education and awareness. It just takes time. At least be happy that your classmate wasn't putting down the LGBT community!

9. theskywreck

That's how I came out as a lesbian (when I identified as female). One of my friends wondered aloud if there were any gay people in the school. I turned around and loudly said "me" so everyone would hear. Even the teacher stopped what she was doing and turned to me. It was hilarious.

10. IanGallagher

Made me think of this:

"Anonymity is a mutant's first defense against the world's hostility".