1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rainbow bracelets?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheUglyBarnacle, Dec 23, 2012.

1. TheUglyBarnacle

Does anyone here wear rainbow bracelets? If yes, was there ever someone who knew what it means?
    I contemplated it a lot before making my own because I'm not sure whether it's just a phase but, heck, why not? It's LGBTQ pride. Questioning included. And I doubt anyone is gonna give it a second thought, anyway, especially since I'm a girl. :grin:
    So I made one today and I'm wearing it now. Didn't turn out as colourful as I had wanted it to but oh well.
    What about you guys? :slight_smile:

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I usually wear one and no, no one has ever said anything in regards to it.

3. Romi

I have a rainbow bracelet, wristband, a Day of Silence bracelet, and a LEGALIZE lanyard I always wear my keys on at work. I wear at least two of these daily unless I'm at home all day.

Do/have people ever said anything about them? All the time.

I get a lot of compliments on my lanyard, which actually surprises me. Albeit, most of those compliments are from teenage girls, but still.

As for my rainbow things... I'm often asked the infernal question of "are you gay?" or some variant thereof.

I've only had two bad experiences with it, but those are the times when you just ignore those jerks. The nice things far outweigh the bad.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I do not have one, but I will soon remedy that problem.

5. Pain

Pain Guest

I just made one out of canvas and melted crayons for my boyfriend for Christmas! It's so cuteeeeee

6. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just bought a rainbow peace sign key chain and turned it into a necklace. So far people only call me a hippie. :lol: I would buy more rainbow stuff if I saw more when shopping. :grin:

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really want a bi pride wristband (pink, blue, and purple) but I'm not sure I'm far enough out of the closet to randomly order something like that online right in front of my gf. Once I had it, of course, I'd never take it off. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. madi

Yes I wear one. I made a friendship bracelet one. No one has noticed or at least not that I know of...A little disappointing honestly.

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2012 at 02:57 PM ----------

you can make a friendship bracelet one :slight_smile: I made myself a bi colors one but also a rainbow one because a lot of people don't know the bi colors. You can buy embroidery floss for a couple dollars and make them. There are good tutorials on youtube. Then no you don't have to be embarrassed by ordering them online :slight_smile:

9. TheUglyBarnacle

All of the replies are very interesting. I guess it depends on where you live and how active the gay community is to get them noticed.

@Swordsman Like madi said, you can make one. I've made mine out of polymer clay beads. It was actually my second time messing with it so it's not that difficult at all.
    I never knew about bi pride having different colours. I thought the rainbow was for the whole LGBTQ community...

10. CharlesFP

limerick PA About 1 hour from Philadelphia
    [​IMG]

this is a bracelet that i made

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2012 at 06:08 PM ----------

sorry i didnt know how big the pic was. Zoom out to see the bracelet

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really like the rainbow (contemplated getting a studded rainbow belt, much out of character for me XD), but then people would just assume I'm full-gay. I'd prefer to let people know a little more specifically. :wink:

Bisexual pride flag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12. TheUglyBarnacle

@Charles I can't see it. :3
    @Swordsman Thanks for the link. That makes more sense now.
    And I've just realised I messed up with the order of the colours and the hues. Fortunately, there is ssome Fimo left. I'll fix it. XD

13. curlycats

i've just ordered 3 bracelets. :slight_smile:

- a rainbow chainmail bracelet
    - a bisexual chainmail bracelet
    - a made-to-order pansexual chainmail bracelet (like the bisexual one but in pink, yellow & blue)

like RSwordsman, i'd prefer to specifically show my bi/pan pride as well as my more general LGBT pride. :slight_smile: so i think i'll wear these 3 bracelets interchangeably or all together, depending on my mood and outfit lol.

14. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    I have a rainbow bracelet and a bi pride necklace. So far, no one has really noticed. Although when I went out to dinner with some of my friends from high school my friend that just came out as lesbian noticed right away. She excused herself to the bathroom and I followed her. We were never very close, but we're getting to be good friends now.

15. GayforGuys

I love the idea of getting a studded pride belt, any idea where to buy online?
    There's like no stores near me that sell them :frowning2:

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't have a mall with Hot Topic or any other teen store with punk things around? You're not missing anything by-and-large, but that sort of sucks.

Madi, it's not the actual ordering I would prefer to keep to myself. It's the "getting it to begin with" part. I'm technically out to her, but I'm not sure she knows how far I actually am from straight, lol.

@Curlycats-- I am a medieval history nerd, and the idea of a chainmail bracelet sounds awesome. I've already got a full shirt of riveted mail, but I don't get to wear that too often for obvious reasons. Might have to look into that. :slight_smile:

17. Salazar

The thought of it used to make me cringe, but as I've become much more accepting of myself I've actually contemplated getting one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. curlycats

i'm not sure if you'll find something exactly like that, but you should check out Etsy.com. it's a site where hundreds of thousands of artisans and crafts people setup online shops to sale their wares. most things are handmade and there is a lot there for LGBT people. :slight_smile: often times shop owners are even willing to custom make something for you if you contact them with an idea in mind. :slight_smile:

perhaps it's time for another sitdown with your girlfriend? :slight_smile: i try my best to regularly check in with my boyfriend to make sure he's still ok with things and to talk over anything that he feels confused/iffy about.

re: looking into the chainmail, you so should! the shop/lady that i bought mine from (see the previous links) is really nice and is more than happy to make custom orders if you contact her with an idea in mind. :slight_smile: i bought the last chainmail bisexual bracelet, but i'm sure she'll put more up after the holidays. she'll probably even make one specifically for you if you ask her.

19. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wear one. A few people figured out that I was a member of the LGBT community just by me wearing it.

20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have my issues with her, but I might just get it anyway. At least she'll know without a doubt I'm serious.