1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your thoughts on this statement ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miz Purple, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This statement was regards to the article about the pope and his Christmas speech , this is was one of t he comments which you an always cant on a great laugh from the comments

:
    " The pope is right. Everybody can say "oh gay marriage is ok" but where does the bible say that at? I know people in these end times don't live by bible laws, but I do. Gay marriage is wrong. I have no issues with gay people though, but they shouldn't bring it into a marriage. Marriage is between man and woman, not man and man, nor woman and woman. It says that man is head of the household and women are submissive to their husbands, well how can gay people do this? Live by gods's rules people, not your own."

What are your thoughts on the part of the man is head of the house so how can gays do this ? Iv wondered this becaus I keep hearing questions to gay couples who wear the pants in the relationship but those to me are just so stupid .

2. Level75

Families can afford anything less than both parents working these days? I'd have figured families, straight, gay or otherwise, would have moved towards something more egalitarian practically out of necessity by now.

3. curlycats

i think the whole thing BS, honestly.

my mom wore the pants in our family because she had to as a single mom. she had to do EVERYTHING, totally not by choice. he would fault her for that?

if i wanted to be the "bread winner" and my male partner a stay-at-home father, he'd deem that wrong too and to him i would say "your god's rules don't apply to me, sorry. actually, not "sorry". more like, "huzzah!""

also, the whole bible vs marriage thing? i don't know where Christians or any other religion for that matter get the idea that somehow THEY created marriage, that somehow THEY get to dictate what constitutes a marriage and who gets to enter into one. marriage has existed longer than Christianity and in today's world marriage is very much a LEGAL matter. whether it's a religious matter as well is up to the people getting married. plenty of heterosexual NON-RELIGIOUS couples get married, but you don't see anyone coming after those people with pitch forks.

4. Ticklish Fish

and i know quite a few not-so submissive wives... XD

also, arranged marriage still exists in other parts of the world...

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The pope needs to mind his own Godly business and let us dirty heathens be free from his self-righteousness. This issue is not even prejudice; it's forcing religion on those who don't want it.

I actually do consider myself religious, or at the very least, theist. But that man's Bible does not dictate my life-- that is handled by my own decisions and U.S. laws. For the most part, they work just fine.

6. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    People are just stupid they think that because there isn't a " man " and " woman" in a relationship they don't know how you make it work and its actually very easy it's called a team and making descions together on how you want to live your life together, iv always hated the whole the woman has to be submissive, the great part about being in a relationship is that there is no leader but a 50/50 give and take and equal , there doesn't t need to be a head that's just ridiculous .

7. grizzleybear33

I am happily Catholic but I don't buy into a lot of the things that I am supposed to believe or do. Just because I'm Catholic doesn't mean that I am ruled by the Pope. I couldn't care less if he is supposedly the mediator between us and God. For all I care the Pope can hide come where in the Vatican and stay there. Some parts of Catholicism are so hypocritical. They say that God created everyone in his image and if so then he created me just the way I am. I go to a Jesuit school and almost all the priests are actually, not in support of but open to hay marriage. Gay marriage is a civil rights issue not a church one.

8. PatyR

My mother is the household and my dad is just a slacker (and he isn't submissive either, just a freeloader). So, this is basically saying that my family is not a "real" family in that aspect?
    There are many "god laws" stated in the bible that nobody (or almost no one) follows nowadays.
    I believe in god, but damn... the church is such a hater... Wasn't god supposed to love everyone? Aren't we people too? -.-

9. grizzleybear33

Woops didn't read the thread very well, still the Pope could hide away in the Vatican and not come out for all I care

10. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Possibly the stupidest, insensitive, thoughtless thing I've read in a while. My advice to this person? Three words: "GO. FUCK. YOURSELF."
    :bang::bang::bang:

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2012 at 10:01 PM ----------

As well as the pope. He can go mind his own goddamn business. And fuck himself too.

11. Pain

Pain Guest

Ok. Lots of things wrong :slight_smile:

First off-- Grammar. Putting 'at' at the end of a sentence if the most foolish thing, so common, sadly, and makes one sound OH SO UNINTELLIGENT.
    Second-- You know not that these are the end times. You are not the Lord.
    Third-- You don't live by "God's laws" because nobody CAN. ALL fall short of the glory of God. That's in the very Word itself.
    Fourth-- "Marriage" is also defined as the joining of companies or partnerships, and is therefore, not between a man and a woman only. Your argument is invalid.
    Fifth-- How many women, feminists, and even men did you piss off with this statement? Women are not submissive to men, and have no obligation to be submissive. In many households, there are 'stay-at-home-dads' and bread-winning mothers. These are different times. Get out from under the rock under which you live.
    Sixth-- See my THIRD thesis. People take and choose which laws to follow, you included.
    Seventh-- Who the hell are you? Do you have any standing in anyone's life? I doubt it greatly.

THE END

#11 Pain, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2012
  12. Deaf Not Blind

IDK, I was told by my pastor when an atheist learns a line to say about How can God do * if He is good? It is just a loop question, they don't care about a real answer, they just want to get you mad. So don't bother with them...real people however ask genuine questions not ones that can't be answered.

So I place these kinds in same category. They read somewhere a good question, they recite it to encite anger and do not really intend to get any answer they will accept.

I have in both cases tried to answer kindly both obstinate groups and yup, they have said even if I give them a good think about this answer they still will reply after a heartbeat, well Idc, I still say **** and that I am right!

So, I say ignore it all.

There is a vast difference between trying to personally live righteous and raise a good clean family and going online anonymously and posting stuff like WHo is the man, and Who is submissive, so that proves gay marriage is stupid. Of all the best arguments I get, most being not great, this one is very lame. I be willing to bet that it was a woman who posted it, and that she is not always submissive to her husband as God has commanded.

For the record, my grandparents were very straight and good loving couple who never even french kissed. Gramma told me she knew she was to be submissive to my grampa, HOWVER, he never demanded it. He was "in charge" but in a pacifist way, more like after a long discussion he lead about a conflict of opinions, he would come up with a good compromise and request she agree before they go to sleep so they could be happy. Thus, she was a good non-shrew person, and he was a trusting guy...and they fell more in love over time.

If one person happens to be more of the leader type, does not mean they must domineer the marriage, do like my grandparents, compromise before going to bed so you don't go angry, and forgive, trust, and be trustworthy. I think if the focus is on THE MAN IS KING then they forget JESUS IS KING OF KINGS...focus is all wrong. Shall we pray for them?

13. animequeen567

The guy can go fuck himself. I know plenty of straight couples where the woman is the dominant one. Who cares who wears the pants in the relationship though. All that matters is two people love each other. It doesn't matter if it's same sex or different sex marriage.

14. Deaf Not Blind

How can a guy fuck himself? Wouldn't it be quite a long dick to do it? :slight_smile:Always pictured in my mind how that can occur...

15. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it actually doesn't have to be that long, although slightly above average I'd say. But it is possible.. :wink:

16. Nyanko

The bible says a lot of bullshit that even the biggest religious nut still goes against, so there really is no perfect way of living without "disobeying God."

Also, who says there are certain roles everyone has to be in? If I want to bring home the bacon while my husband/wife takes care of the house, then I will. "Live by gods's rules people, not your own." Again, I will do as I damn please whether or not some dusty old book told me not to, because we all know there isn't a perfect soul on this planet.

"I have no issues with gay people though," isn't that ALWAYS the excuse "normal" people make when saying shit about gay people? If you have no issues with them, you shouldn't have an issue with letting them get married, end of story.

I'm Catholic, and believe in a lot of stuff, but sometimes I have to just cringe at the bullshit I hear.

17. hello1992

Depends in what sense tbh.

I personally don't believe in gay marriage WITHIN a church. I guess this comes from my relatively religious upbringing and i still have respect for religious values. I think it is wrong for the government to meddle in religion and force religions to accept gay marriage within churches when their belief prohibits it. I also think the pm's talk of allowing religious institutions to 'voluntary' accept gay marriage is also silly as most religions don't believe in gay marriage anyway.

I believe that everyone should have the right to have some form of marriage, but this should not be under a religious ceremony. I guess i see it more of as a legal and cultural sense. Marriage equality under these aspects. Most civil unions do have similar recognition as normal straight marriage so i guess you have to ask yourself why do you exactly do you want marriage over a union.
    In fact, the definition of marriage is a union between a man and a woman (google it) so it would be wrong to call an LGBT equivalent of marriage as marriage.

I know this must a little odd considering i am gay, but i am completely in favour of an LGBT equivalent of marriage, it should be in everyone right to bond themselves legally and culturally with whoever, but it just depends on the formalities of this.

#17 hello1992, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The person who wrote that is an uncritical misogynist and heterosexist. I don't really think that anyone should "wear the pants" in a relationship, as relationships should be based on egalitarianism.

I think you should bare in mind that this whole line of forcing churches to marry LGBT people is not a position argued by very many people at all. Marriage equality advocates, at least in the US, I don't know about the UK, are strictly concerned with the legal rights of marriage, not edging their way into religious institutions or forcing them to change. Religious freedom is not under attack with the push for legal marriage equality and never has been.

And every time I hear it repeated that it is indeed the aim of LGBT advocates to do so, I find it extremely tiresome.

#18 Pret Allez, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  19. Aquilo

My first thought is this: Just because you (the writer of this statement) have a religious belief, doesn't mean that others should be forced to follow this too. This applies too if the majority of a country holds this belief, living in a civilized state doesn't mean just having a rule of majority (democracy) but having a bill of rights too to protect minorities.

My second (theological) thought is this: You can't say a commandment (or lack of one) from the bible should be regarded as rule (With as argument that you should follow all laws in the Bible like a 'good Christian'), if you don't follow all other commandments. If you chose to follow all commandments and rules in the bible, I don't think you'd qualify as a Christian at all as quite a few are morally flawed. (Can't give examples now as I don't have my bible with me)

20. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The statement was obviously made by a religious person, so it's not surprising that its archaic and backward in principle.

I wouldn't let it bother you, gay marriage will happen and religion is dying.