1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you want to live until you are 100?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GingerGuy, Dec 24, 2012.

1. GingerGuy

Yesterday, I had a conversation with a friend about the recent death of a Brazilian architect who was internationally famous in his lifetime. He was 104. So we discussed if it was worthy to live so long, but eventually, we agreed that it isn't. For two reasons:

- Health. If you don't have a healthy lifestyle it's impossible to be a centenarian, but even if you have one, it won't entirely protect you to the ills of old age, such as cancer, osteoporosis, heart failure, etc. You might live a century with relatively good health, but you are more likely to be in a hospital many days of the year. Or breaking your bones every time you suffer a small fall.

- This is the sad one: if you live so long, your spouse and all of your generation are going to die before you. Our bodies weren't projected to live so much (in fact, they were made to die around thirty), so we can assume that all of a centenarian's friends die before he or she does. Worst: after this age, there's a high chance for the centenarian to outlive HIS CHILD, like what happened to the architect I mentioned. His daughter was 82.

So, with all of this in mind, would you still want to live to 100?

2. KeanusGuitarus

East Australia, in NSW, quite a while from Sydney.
    Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I personally would like to, just to feel accomplished for keeping my body healthy and living so long. I would try my best to keep my body in a healthy state, so that small accidents wouldn't happen.

3. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i'd hate to live 'til i was 100. i don't even want to live to 70 tbh

4. ForceAndVerve

Depends on my state of health. If I'm able bodied and independant, I would like to live beyond 100.

5. TheUglyBarnacle

This.

6. aeva

Yupp, I'm with ya on this one.

7. Jordz

Yeah, I agree with ya as well

8. Kidd

Kidd Guest

No, I really wouldn't. If I can't enjoy life then what's the point of it. I mean..just think about it. If you live to 100 or more, just about everyone you've ever known and grown up with...they're all dead. I want to die first, there's a lot of people that I'd be too sad to live without.

9. SkyDiver

Heck no. :lol:

10. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

It depends. If I am still healthy, both in mind and body, and am able to lead an interesting life all the way to the end, then sure, why not? But my family has a history of various health issues (back problems, diabetes, etc) that means I'll be lucky if I'm still mobile when I'm 50, let alone 100. When combined with my mental health issues, which may or may not remit anytime soon, I doubt it would be worth it.

11. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Think I'm going to go against the grain in saying I think I'd like to, but naturally only if I was in good health.

While there may be a chance of outliving close friends and family, it seems that longevity [to where people are living well beyond their eighties] is becoming more common and that future generations of seniors are going to be much more active than we've generally imagined them in the past. So I guess the idea appeals to me, not so much in a vain "I don't wanna die!" way, so much as the opportunity to be witness to so many events, hopefully travel as much as possible, continue to make close friends and acquaintances, to learn, to influence change and progress and ultimately, hopefully, be a little bit wiser with each experience. [As corny as all that sounds.]

However, apart from trying to take care of my body, I can't control how long my lifespan will be but I can't honestly say, "No, I wouldn't want to live that long."

12. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Nope, I wouldn't want to live to be that old. I wouldn't want to outlive all the people I've grown up with or most of my family.

13. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I wouldn't want to, it's too long. I'd want to die around 85 maybe, 90 if I want to push it, but that's it. I wouldn't want to be 100 or more.

14. Bellerophon

No.. For so many reasons.

15. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

I wouldn't. You will know when you're ready to go, the problems (great pain) start when you try to prolong the inevitable. Live well now and you will have no regrets when you do go.

16. Jonimarie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The women in my family live long. And most live healthy lives. So as long as I was still healthy and mobile, yes I would hope to live that long. I have two kids and would love be with them and their children as long as possible.

17. revi

revi Guest

It depends I would want to live that long IF I am not plagued by illneses or lose my memory.

18. LailaForbidden

I can tell you its not going to happen to me. I live in the US...our life expectancy is 70's and dropping. But if i could, would I want to? That's a hard question. If i'm in pain or sick or just plain unhappy, then no. Just get on with it and kill me! :grin:

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I'd rather die in honorable combat defending someone who needed it.

20. GingerGuy

Why is like expectancy in the US dropping? In my country, life expectancy is 72 and increasing, but it's still far behind America because of our shitty healthcare system. I don't see anything to worry about.