1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you find is the best way of learning something new?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Paul_UK, Feb 23, 2008.

?

What do you find is the best way of learning something new?

1. Internet

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Books

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Classes or lectures

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  4. Working it out as you do it

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

This question was a new survey question on Markie's Wii yesterday and coincided with me receiving two more books from Amazon.

So I thought I'd ask you all.... what do you find is the best way of learning something new?

• Internet?
    • Books?
    • Classes or lectures?
    • Working it out as you do it?
    For me initially I find a good book on the subject gets me started and gives me some familiarity with the subject and terminology. Then actually doing it and using the books or Google to answer specific queries. If I just dive in without some background knowledge I have more problems getting answers from Google because I don't know the right terminology.

As a recent example I have bought a couple of good books on PHP and MySQL (web programming language and database) which got me started. I now tend to use Google or php.net for specific queries and also use the books when I know I have seen something in them but can't remember.

I am now struggling to get my head around CSS (cascading style sheets, a way of defining webpage appearance) and Google alone isn't really helping. So I have bought a book on that from Amazon.

I have added a poll and allowed more than one answer.

2. ethene

Internet is the best way to learn something, at least for me. For example, half the English vocabulary I know comes from the articles I read on English Wikipedia.

3. Bevo

Bevo Guest

The best way i learn is by reading and studying books..they give me all the information i need.

However there are lots of times where there are no books or written information on topics or i just need a brief summary of information where i go on the internet (mostly Wikipedia.. and BBC for current affairs) so i voted for internet and books

4. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The internet and classes for me. I can sometimes be okay with teaching myself, but with things like maths i can't. I get mega confused about all the numbers and how they appeared. It was an uber mess for me. :astonished:

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think it depends on what kind of learning style you have. I learn best when people show me so lectures/classes would work best for me.

6. Defender

Defender Guest

I like learning as I go along =). As long as there is no major pressures :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Ty

Ty Guest

I don't do so well on my own, I prefer being taught it. So proberly classes and lectures.

8. SlickyPants

I think the best way of learning is with a book and hands-on practice. I'll read a section and I'll take what I learned from that section and try and do something with what I learned. It doesn't have to be practical, serve any purpose or make any sense. It is merely to become familiar with what I just read and in doing so I'll probably make mistakes and I can learn from those mistakes as I read further and integrate new stuff I've learned with some of the stuff I've read previously.

9. Wired106

I'd have to say working it out as you do it because it's not like you will fully understand how to do surgery on a person threw a book or through the internet. You have to experience it. Same with a lot of other things that you learn like mechanics on a car or learning how to cook. If your doing the thing you're trying to learn then you will remember it more easily and you will be better everytime you do it :slight_smile:

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think books and certain portions of the Internet are a really good source of knowledge but in terms of figuring out how to actually do something, for me it's classes/lectures and hands-on experience. I think of the Internet, in particular, as a good reference... but it doesn't TEACH me anything. It provides information. PEOPLE teach me things.

I love classes/lectures, though. Always have.

11. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Internet and books for sure.

12. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you have any familiarity with object-oriented programming (Java, C++)? I found CSS pretty easy once I realised it was all about inheritance, which is a foundational concept in object-oriented programming.

Of course it doesn't help that the major browsers all do CSS slightly differently. *sigh*

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

When I was at school and college, classes and lectures worked well for me. At that time in my life that was the method of education my mind was receptive to.

A few years ago though I went on a couple of training courses with a previous employer and found it really hard to remember what was being taught that way. My mind just didn't receive and acknowledge that as a means of learning. Maybe it's because the information is coming at a faster rate than self-teaching (the courses were 3 of 4 days and covered a lot of material).

Meanwhile though I have learnt a lot from books and from actually doing it. I have had no formal training on anything to do with computers, writing software, website development or anything else like that which I do in my day-to-day work. It is all self-taught, mostly due to necessity and progression (like the current need to learn about CSS because that's the way web development is moving). The fact that I find it interesting helps too.

The only object-orientated programming I have done is with Visual Basic. Most stuff I do in PHP etc is procedural.

So far I really haven't done much with CSS other than fiddled with existing styles a bit to try to make the changes I want, then got frustrated when it didn't always work right. I started reading "CSS: The Missing Manual" last night and it is already beginning to make a bit more sense.

That is the main thing I have been fighting with. Internet Explorer 7 insists on displaying my CSS styled bulleted list slightly differently to Firefox and Opera (wider gaps between the lines). I think I found the fix for that (an IE fudge) in the book last night so I'll try it later.

14. Jeimuzu

Books have to be especially good. Alan Clements, for example, wrote an excellent book on Computing. But to be honest, he's an outstanding teacher.

Lectures are no good. I learn very little. Lectures should always consist of a lot of stuff that we can note down, and some very diagrammatical ways of explaining things. Otherwise, I need tutorials. I learn more in tutorials. I rarely even bother going to Networks and Communications anymore simply because what's the point? I don't learn anything, and I learn a lot when I go to the tutorials because the teacher explains everything in clear concise terms.

Internet is more of a supplemental tool. It's good for providing an extra point of view. Learning an entire subject from it isn't really gonna be easy, but because it's offering such a wide range of subjects written by in casual terms, it's much more useful than 90% of books.

Working it out as you do it... hmm.

Well, as it goes, actually, I find the overall best way to learn is to be given a lecture in which I take notes written how I understand them, and then to sit and work it out on my own with a teacher to explain any point when I get stuck. It's useful to have texts and the internet nearby for referencing purposes, if it's a simple question that doesn't need the teacher's attention.

15. Ty

Ty Guest

My English teacher says there are three ways of learning and people either have that type of learning alone, or have a bit of each... I think the three were....

Visual - By writing it and reading it, you learn it better.

Audio - By listening and speaking, you learn it better.

Physical - You learn better by doing it as opposed to the above two.

16. Alexander

I like da bookz!

17. Rette

I'm a kinesthetic learner; I learn best by doing. Or, better yet, I learn by doing something wrong.

As far as books go, I can't read long; my notes have to be succinct, or I'll just end up tuning out and not taking in anything. I have a tendency to condense my notes into as little as possible when studying.

18. tehnathan

I learn by reading online. I hardly ever read books, as a matter of fact.

I'm a visual person. I'm horrible at learning by doing.

19. James

Internet.

20. sdc91

Aye, I'm a hands-on person. I have a near-photographic memory so I can read stuff in a book and remember it, but only if I'm interested (but I can't remember dates to save my life). I can't really learn math or science from a textbook, though. As far as the internet, it's really fun but I tend to forget stuff I read on the screen a day later.