1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muslims dont celebrate Christmas???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by airbusa380, Dec 25, 2012.

1. airbusa380

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just posted a message on another website saying merry christmas to everyone (I said: Merry Christmas everyone!!!), some people (muslims) got into a fight with me saying i shouldn't wish merry christmas to those who do not celebrate it.

They also sent me some weird links on why muslims dont celebrate christmas. i did not even reply to their messages and yet they keep arguing with me.

and its not like i said merry christmas on a muslim website or something,people of all faiths use that website.

i don't think its right, i was just being nice.

Do you think i was wrong?

:icon_sad:

2. toaster

I don't think you're wrong but I think you should be more sensitive next time when posting on website. There are people with different religions that do not celebrate Christmas. Maybe post an apology if you want to? I am a Buddhist and whenever people said Merry Xmas to me, I said you too. I don't think this has anything to do with religion but more of a greetings like wish you well. But people with strong faith in other religion might think otherwise.

3. lenon01

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It wasn't wrong, but it could have been more inclusive. I'm honestly ignorant as to what, if any, celebrations the Muslim community participates in around this time of year. I never found this kind of thing something to fight over, but I am always happy whenever a cashier or someone else whose working says 'Happy Holidays' instead of 'Merry Christmas', just because they're taking that extra step to make sure I wouldn't feel left out should I happen to not celebrate Christmas.

I really wouldn't worry too much. It's just something you might want to keep in mind during the holiday season.
    :thumbsup:

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What you say is Happy Return of the Light.

And of course Muslims don't celebrate Christmas. In Christianity, Christ is the son of god. In Islam, Jesus was a prophet.

5. ryanninjasheep

Just say merry Christislamaquanzika!

6. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Saw a clever message on a company's website this year: To those who celebrate it, Merry Christmas, and to those who don't, Happy Tuesday !.

7. Fiddledeedee

In my areas, "Merry Christmas" is used so much as to lose direct religious connotations; lots of atheists say it, and it's associated with commercial Christmas rather than Christian Christmas. There's no reason for anyone to be offended by it, really. Still, you could say "Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!".

8. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No you didn't do anything wrong. Those people just wanted something to complain about like usual. If they don't celebrate Christmas, then the thread doesn't apply to them and they don't need to click on it and could have easily ignored it. I wouldn't worry about it or apologize for anything.

9. Sacha

Sacha Guest

Merry Christmas is just another way of saying Merry Winter Solstice. Who cares what people think, chances are their religion is based on fantasy like all the others.

10. Renge

yeah like u said : people of all faiths use that website, maybe its more correct if u said 'Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it' not 'everyone'

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You weren't wrong, they are being way overly sensitive. I'm atheist and I tell everyone Merry Christmas.

Saw this and basically sums it up:

[​IMG]

If they want to get upset, oh well... tough luck.

12. Hexagon

I think perhaps they overreacted. I don't celebrate christmas, but I don't have a problem with people saying it to me. To avoid having to deal with such reactions, you might want to put some kind of qualifier in, but I don't think you were in the wrong.

13. DJNay

From Joburg, SA but now live in Brisbane, Aus
    I don't think ur wrong, I'm a converted Muslim but my family is Christian and I celebrated Christmas as a tradition more than a religious thing. Even my ex girlfriend said "merry Christmas" to me and she was raised in a Muslim family, her family dont celebrate it but she loves this time of year because it's also a tradition more than to do with religion. Everything is so festive and warm. And her family make the most of the Boxing Day sales lol

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't personally see anything wrong with it. If somebody posted something about Ramadan, I wouldn't feel slighted because I don't observe it.

Lex

15. Emberstone

what about people who celebrate merlinpeen, or festivus?

why you cutting us out of the holiday spirit!!!

16. Bolin

I'm African American, and I have absolutely no clue what Kwanzaa is. :lol:

17. Emberstone

thats because it is a non-religious, modern holiday that has only existed for a few decades, so most people dont celebrate it.

18. Greendalehumans

I don't think it was wrong for you to wish everyone a merry Christmas. YOU celebrate Christmas, so of course you said merry christmas. If a Jewish person wished me Happy Hanukkah I wouldn't be offended. I'd say thanks. It's not like you were saying that everyone should celebrate Christmas or anything. It's ridiculous for them to attack you over that. I'd understand them saying thanks, but we don't celebrate Christmas or something. But in my opinion, they were being ridiculous.

19. FJ Cruiser

Sounds like some people got their Internet panties tied in a wad. I know in the US, Christmas is far more of a cultural phenomenon than a religious one, and a few of my Hindu and Muslim friends celebrate it as part of their American identity. Don't worry about it. Some people, especially those in an anonymous Internet forum, are determined to be offended no matter what.

20. RainbowBright

Fighting wasn't necessary.

But I'll say this, your post was a bit thoughtless and exclusionary. I am Jewish, and I would not post a message to a site like this "Happy Chanukah everyone!" - because that sounds like I think everyone gives a crap about Chanukah, celebrates it, or even knows what it is.

I think the offense is worse when you know somebody though - I am actually annoyed that two close friends, with whom I have recently discussed celebrating Chanukah and who certainly know I am Jewish, sent me wishes for a Merry Christmas with like a bajillion exclamation points, and they were not mass messages. Really? What part of I already finished celebrating Chanukah did you not care enough about me to remember or believe? And these are educated people... so I did not start a fight by any means, but I did reply that this was just another day for me, but I had a great Chanukah, and I hope they have a great Christmas.

Try to think how you feel when straight people use exclusionary language that assumes everyone is straight. Be conscious of the fact that for people in multiple minorities, they feel especially isolated and excluded - they come to a gay site to feel part of the bunch, and then half the posts are talking about Christmas when they can't even relate and have nothing to add, and a lot of posts are written for "everybody" that do not include them. It is frustrating and feels lonely. The same thing when a gay person has to hear that kind of talk, or when a woman hears nothing but male references and analogies and "he"s in messages that are supposed to be for everybody. It feels lonely, and makes you feel worse about yourself.

So it was not right for anyone to fight with you, but it also wasn't as nice as you thought it was to post the message that way. When straight people say something focused on straight privilege, or say something they mean to be nice that is actually offensive to gay people, you'd want to correct them, right? So now someone let you know, you did something that embraced a majority to the exclusion of the minority too. Christians seem to have taken over the whole world even though they haven't, all we ever hear every day from politicians, from media, everywhere is constant Christian stuff, Christian views, Christians like this, Christians hate that. Excuse the billions of us who are not Christian for getting tired of it sometimes, especially the way Christians often talk as if they assume all people are Christian - or should be. Saying "everybody" was what that did - it assumed everybody was Christian, and by a large amount in fact everybody is not.

I would not make a post here, "Everybody, don't you find it hard being a bisexual?" Some people would be like "really - everybody?" and some belligerent people would post replies saying "get it together, not everybody here is a bisexual." No serious harm done, but a lesson learned.

And many Muslims observe Ramadan (a month of fasting) sometime near December, which ends in the feast of Eid. It is holy, if not necessarily time for the party streamers...