1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT and religion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Dec 26, 2012.

?

What is your religious affiliation?

1. Atheist

36 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Agnostic

20 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Buddhist

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Christian

20 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Hindu

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Jewish

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  7. Muslim

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. Pagan

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  9. Other

10 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. Hexagon

Do you have a religious affiliation, what is it, and if you do, how do you reconcile it with your LGBT status?

Oh, and can we not turn this into a religion war? I know a lot of people here have been screwed by a religion in some way, but please don't make the mistake of assuming all religion, and particularly the religions of those here, are universally homophobic and transphobic.

2. unbreakable

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe that there's more to life after death, but I don't believe there's a "god". Church and the bible reminds me of a cult to some degree... But as long as you don't push your beliefs on me I can respect what other people choose to have faith in.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I now consider myself to be an atheist. I had many problems with the Christian faith, even before I realized that I was gay. Getting kicked out of my church was sort of the straw that broke the camel's back for me. How I was treated made me think twice about religion. I researched on the internet and then found that many of the things that I had questions about when I was younger were many of the same questions that atheists had. With some time and some more research, I soon realized that I no longer believed in a god.

4. Adarya

I agree with unbreakable- I do believe there is something after death, I just don't believe that there is heaven or hell and I don't believe in some God. All that I see is that "God"- in my family, anyways- is the one that you need to kneel down to and give your life to pleasing him, as well as 'trusting in him to guide your life and be there for you' and all that stuff. Personally, I don't want some God leading my life and it's not like he'll do exactly as you say/want/pray for. I see no reason to have a God in my life, and that is the reasoning that I have come to. Also, I really just don't want to be in any part of religion. People are killed, wars are started, and discrimination happens because of religion (some of it, anyways) and I honestly just want to have no part in that. Hence, the reason I am an atheist.

5. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose other, I am non-religious. Open-minded and I can believe in things. Like magic and faeries. :slight_smile:

6. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say Christian although I don't associate with a church or anything.

7. curlycats

i'm spiritual, but not the least bit religious.

8. Renge

i'm a muslim, and I believe in God. That's why i'm still denying myself, because I believe in hell and heaven. Killing me? Yes.

9. MidnightOwl

Aethism is not a religion.

10. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*) I still have a lingering fear of Hell, but that's because I'm ex-Christian. I'm sure there are plenty of Muslims out there who believe it's okay to be LGBT+.

For anyone who believes in the Bible, watch Mathew Vines' speech on YouTube. Alot of us here love it, just throwing that out in case anyone hasn't seen it yet.

11. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Queer, Christian and Proud! :grin:

12. Given To Fly

I have issues with the whole 'devine being' thing. As far as I can tell religion is just a form of control, a way to make people conform. People are happiest when they feel they belong. I suppose if a religion gives them that feeling of inclusiveness, then good luck to them. But it just isn't for me.

The mad bit is, I'd love to beleive that there is something after death. I want to be able to imagine something other than nothingness. But the rational part of me says 'no way'.

13. hello1992

Muslim upbringing, but don't practice for obvious reasons. I haven't reconciled with it, i am fighting with it everyday and at some point the shit will finally hit the fan :frowning2:

14. Deaf Not Blind

According to the US govt it is, and Athiests have religious freedoms and rights. If it were not a religion, they would not be guaranteed those rights. It is a faith just based on their not being a god.

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2012 at 05:11 AM ----------

I am Baptist, Christian, American, Transgender, Queer.

Any questions?

I have prayed to wake up a boy since I was a kid. Not happen, but that kinda thing doesn't does it! :slight_smile: I did develop a bit of a brow ridge, not super strong like some men but women do not have these...feel free to look at a few pix where slightly side view. It really bothered e in late teens as I had wanted to look like the other girls...who had big high pink cheekbones and me? I had the flatter kind young men have! Well, God moves in mysterious ways. I have had so many prejudices over the years stripped away, cuz God don't want me to have any. Now I figured out why I am so strange and could not date...and I am getting curious if He wants me to help churches to realize they are creating atheists who will go to hell by shunning Queers! God is love, Jesus orders Christians to love God and all men, so just cuz other Christians feel uncomfy around certain peeps like Queers, homeless, unwed mothers, disabled, deaf, midgets....yeah name a group...that don't mean God excludes any. Jesus said he came to die that all might live...ALL...no human has a right to exclude another from partaking in worship if they want to. Any person should be welcomed to church...and I think God is getting angry at the legalism arrogance and Pharisee-like acts of some "believers" who thin it is okay to tell somebody who is behaving themselves to leave on any basis.

I am personally struggling with what God would like me to do abt my body. He did give me my DNA, and it made me 98% female bodied...2% looks dang male...and my mind weather born this way or became over time by my choices male is very male 80% at least. I want to serve Him by devoting my life to fight oppression of deaf and hoh around the world...there is a lot of ignorance to fight. But i relent to allow him to use me for helping Queers remain true to Jesus, and get churches to wake up to their sin of exclusion. I don't want that task, but maybe God designed me this way so once again I would have empathy and sympathy not ignorance? I have so far had amazing good fortune with Christians and mom, lots of good results. I wish you all would have same.

15. other.
    i used to be christian but it was hard for me to stay with my religion i was born into. i found it hard being a gay christian so i abandoned the religion and now im way more comfortable with who i am. i used to wonder if god would hate me for what i was doing, then i just had enough being so down and just abandoned it lol.

now im non religious.
    religions are fine and everyone can believe in what they want, it doesnt bother/offend me.

16. CinePhys

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

No, no, no, no. :eusa_naug
    "Saying atheism is a religion is like saying 'not collecting stamps is a hobby'"
    It's always good to get someone who's better at explaining than you are to do the explaining for you, so here, watch this!

Lack of belief in gods - YouTube

#16 CinePhys, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  17. FemCasanova

Atheism is a polar opposite of religious faith, which makes it a chategory on the line of religious boxes a person can belong to, which makes it valid to put up next to the other religions. Why someone wants to argue about that, instead of just focusing on what the OP is asking about, is beyond me. What does it matter? I am an atheist, I have the religious freedom of remaining an atheist, of raising my children as atheists, of refusing religious contents in school targeting my children on behalf of a specific religion. If they had reinstated lunch prayer in primary school, like they did when I was young, I would raise hell! Then I would demand that my child was allowed a longer break, so that he/she did not have to be in the classroom during said prayer. Religion is for adult, not something that should be enforced upon impressionable children in my opinion. If my child grows up, learns about religion and at the age of 18 tells me he/she wants to be a muslim and fully believe in a God, I will have no problem accepting that. But no one is going to force religion on my small children, if I ever get any. That is my strong opinion on it. Also, I hate it when people come to my door to preach. They are stomping on my religious non-belief, and makes me want to go to their door and preach atheism to them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

As far as my religion and lesbianism goes, there isn`t a problem, since I don`t follow a book that says it is wrong.

That said, homophobes come in every group, atheists and religious people both can have them, just like accepting and loving people come from each group as well.

18. timo

I'm an atheist, I don't believe in a higher power or the concept of "heaven and hell".

Couldn't agree more. I respect everyone's beliefs and religions, but they have no right to interfere with my life and try to "convert" me to their religion. I don't come to their doors preaching atheism, I leave them alone, so why can't they leave me alone too?

But being the decent human being I am, I politely tell them I'm not interested when they come to my door instead of making a scene.

Again, I agree. The biggest homophobes I know are non-religious.

19. Hexagon

Actually, atheism isn't a religion. Atheists are given freedom of religion based on there being freedom from religion included in the package.

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an atheist, but I want to learn more about paganism, because I like rituals.