1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-men to homosexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crimsonarcher, Feb 23, 2008.

1. crimsonarcher

Ok, I was watching X-men 3, and i believe that on some odd level, the whole "mutant cure" thing kinda alludes to a fictional "gay" cure, which if it happened (which is really unlikely to impossible), the GLBTQ community would be spilt on the issue- some wouldn't think twice and take it, while others will be offended by the very idea of it ( just like some mutants wanted the cure, while others didn't).

Even Storm's quote proves this:

1.)" Why, that's ridiculous! You can't cure being a mutant! Since when did we become a disease?!"

2.)"No, professor, they can't cure us. You know why? Because there's nothing to cure. Nothing's wrong with you, or any of us for that matter."

It would make sense if this allusion was somewhat true.

I just wanted to say that.

#1 crimsonarcher, Feb 23, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  2. kevinx519

haha. i was thinking the same thing when i was watching it. too bad we dont have super powers to back us up though.

3. crimsonarcher

my god, imagine if we did have powers....people wouldn't mess with us as often...^_^

4. Jerr

I believe this has been brought up before in one of the many gay cure pill threads.

Yeah, it isn't a stretch at all to replace mutant with homosexuality.

One could even go as far to say that homosexuals are an advancement just like mutants in the way that we can't (naturally) reproduce and help prevent overpopulation. To some extent that is. But that is stretching it a bit far.

5. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

I have always found this, even in the first two X-men movies. Especially when Bobby "comes out" to his parents as a mutant by freezing her tea.

I'm somewhat of a fan, it's quite funny, the allusion.

6. Paralyzer

First of all, I believe any manipulation of emotion (happy pills..) is wrong... and I'd have to say that 'curing' homosexuality would be nothing short of brain control... or atleast manipulation. But manipulation is pretty much the same as control.

Yeah, I like your thread.. I usually relate a lot of things I read/see/listen to to being gay.. because generally I guess it's all made to relate to general problems in the world anyways.. such as racism and other forms of discrimination.

7. crimsonarcher

I noticed that too!
    ^_^

8. Jerr

Actually... we'd probably have a lot more enemies because of fear we would turn on them. Basically... we would have our current problems topped off with the problems the mutants have in the movie/comics. Sure, some of us could defend ourselves... but we would also get the blame of others who use their powers for evil and such.

Although gotta admit... having mutant powers would be amazing. Not gunna lie. lol

9. crimsonarcher

oh yeah, didn't think about that till now...

10. Bader

Bader Guest

Omg ya ! dont believe i didnt notice the similarity before ......

but would you take the "cure" or not ?
    i wouldn't ...

11. bleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I get that vibe too, with all the X-Men movies, comics, et cetera. Maybe Ian McKellen noticed it too, and that's why he wanted to be in the movies? xP

12. Ty

Ty Guest

I think that is why Ian McKellen was so willing to do the films. They are quite an odd genre for him lol, as he is an old theatre actor :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Still, its a nice way of sort of getting the message across!

13. Norwegian91

Never noticed that. But now that you say it! Im going to watch it again:wink:

14. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

This isntresting because I actually started reading the comics when I realized this connection a while ago, I dont think it was intentional though.

15. Thatsit

Haha i was just thinking about this the other day and remembered when his mom says, "Have you tried Not being a mutant(gay)" lol

16. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The similarities in the movies (especially in 2 and 3) are not at all accidental, they're quite deliberate. From the comic book source, originally the mutant struggle was written as analogous to the racial struggles going on (given that the X-Men comic book originated in the US in the 1960s) and Professor Xavier was seen as a Martin Luther King, Jr. figure with Magneto filling the more violent and confrontational Malcolm X role.

As time passed, the analogy shifted from race to sexuality, which makes a lot of sense given how the rhetoric about sexual orientation became enmired in the notion of inborn genetic-ness. In the comics, long before the "cure" notion was used (by Joss Whedon in Astonishing X-Men well before the X-Men 3 film was written) they even had mutants' very own HIV/AIDS, called the Legacy Virus. It was clearly meant to be analogous to HIV, which is kinda unfortunate because in the comics it actually was a mutant-only virus for most of its existence, but again that mirrored the popular notion of AIDS as a "gay cancer" in the 1980s and early 1990s. And sadly still today it's seen as a primarily "gay" (and African if you're lucky) concern by the Western/Northern mainstream.

But yeah, it's not at all accidental or coincidental; it's very deliberately used as an allusion.

17. crimsonarcher

oh...well , either way, it's there!
    ^_^

18. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought it was incredibly funny how they used it in X-Men 2, everything with Bobby and his parents and all.

19. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Exactly!

20. Ronnie92

Also In the Comics they had a virus that would kill mutants. *cough* AIDS *cough*