1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's Discuss Food

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MidnightOwl, Dec 27, 2012.

1. MidnightOwl

I love to cook amazing recipes and make delicious meals all the time. And I thought, how about making a thread about food? Are you an average cook or a professional homemaker. Share your recipes, favorite foods, and all that stuff here.

2. CTJ

CTJ

I absolutely love food! Tbh though, my cooking skills are hit and miss. I can cook a string of amazing meals, each topping the last and then throw out a recipe that just will not come together and fail miserably.

Im particularly bad at baking cakes. I cannot do it. I can actually make a Venetian carrot cake, but it doesnt rise, so its more of a tart. But it is a badass, incredibly alcoholic cake made with ground almonds, amaretto soaked raisins and topped with amaretto cream. It is delicious and very rarely lasts longer than half hour once people know its about.

My favourite food to cook is a quick Chorizo and chilli pasta. I get Chorizo cheap from work so i can afford to be generous with it. Chorizo, Chilli and Passata just seem to go hand in hand with a nice thick linguine.

3. Alexander69

I love parsnips OMG so yummy!! And I love mushrooms! Peppers! Yummy quinoa

4. MidnightOwl

I love Portabella hamburgers.

It's basically replacing a hamburger patty with a portabella cup. omg so delicious.

5. CTJ

CTJ

There are several foods that i cannot stand, but i try them every now and then to see if my tastes have changed. Apart from mushrooms.

I detest mushrooms to the point where just looking at them makes me feel funny. I hate the smell, the taste, the texture. I cant honestly see my tastes changing enough for me to like them, so i avoid them at all costs.

6. MidnightOwl

lol.

Mushrooms are a godsend of food. They are the perfect meat replace.

For the portabella mushroom burgers, I like to grill them up with some salt and some pepper. Stick em on a bun add some hamburger toppings and go to town.

I also love portabella mushroom strips, and make them into a hotdog.

7. hello1992

8. CTJ

CTJ

Poison! I tell people i'm deathly allergic to them so they dont put them in food lol.

My mum likes to put them in everything, but chops them up small to try and fool me. When i instantly find them and kick off, she always says:
    "but you cant even taste them!"

"WHY DO YOU PUT THEM IN IF YOU CANT EVEN TASTE THEM?! I BLOODY WELL CAN!"

Yeah, i get OTT when it comes to mushrooms lol. I'm the same with Turkish Delight, it makes me shudder just thinking about it.

9. hello1992

10. MidnightOwl

I'm vegan, but lately vegetarian due to the lack of vegan fundage. So I don't usually use meat and things like that. That and mybodycan't handle the high concentrated fat diet.

11. animequeen567

I'm more of a baker. My favorite recipe is chocolate chip cookies. I've got this recipe from my grandma that is the best! The cookies always come out perfect and I even won 1st in a contest with them. I make fancy cookies too, and make other things like cakes and such, but I prefer cookies. I refuse to post my chocolate chip cookie recipe though, it's a family secret!

12. tea123

tea123 Guest

I love to cook, especially since I've had to learn a lot myself since coming to university.

I can make a really good chili con carne (well, so I'm told) :grin:

13. CTJ

CTJ

I made some awesome cookies once, crispy on the outside and chewy in the middle. The thing that made them particularly awesome is that i accidentally used almond extract instead of vanilla extract, i was fearful that i'd ruined the batch and dubious once they were finished. But they were actually amazing, i've made them several times because of that happy accident. Like all cookies, they are 100x better fresh out the oven when theyre still warm. With a dolop of ice cream.

I'm actually drooling at the thought. Damn this thread.

14. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm learning to cook, I guess I'm a better baker but it's cool. Good food isn't hard to fix. My parents love the walnut brownies I make, and peanut butter cookies. (I kind of put the latter recipe together myself real quick one day and it's perfect.) It's weird to actually make pizza and bread yourself, but so yummy. I've actually been wanting to try portabello burgers, even though I'm not a fan of eating mushrooms.
    It's cheap to eat vegan, unless you just buy only the premade stuff. And that's costly because the demand isn't as high as other stuff, same for soy milk and other plant milks. (Not that dairy milk is cheap.) It's annoying that unhealthy premade stuff is cheaper than natural fruit, veg, beans, rice, etc. Vegan or not.

15. photoguy93

I adore this thread!!!

I like to think of myself as a very good cook and a very good baker.

One of my pet peeves is the "fast and easy" trend. I hate it! I don't mind that from time to time, but cooking isn't all that. It can take time, effort, and love.

For example, I love making Boeuf Biurguignon. It is challenging. It takes almost a while day. But it is delicious and worth the try. Most of Julia's recipes are difficult.

But no matter what you want, cooking is amazing. If you want a challenge, you can have it. If you want it easy, you can have it easy. If you want to be creative, you can be creative. It is a whole world of awesomeness.

One of my favorite things are Katharine Hepburns' brownies. They are delicious. I don't like brownies but I love these.

And I'm willing to try most any recipe for cooking. There is so much out there, it's just so much fun!

16. Onyxknight

I'm definitely not a master chef. I can do salisbury steak and meatloaf. I make a killer herb-rosted chicken, if I may say so. Chili is easy, delicious, and filling, and I tried my hand at homemade chicken and dumplings a couple weeks ago; turned out pretty damn good. Simple things are my forte', lol.

17. Harve

I couldn't properly cook four months ago but now I love it. I got a cookbook for Christmas that was clearly addressed to 45 year old housewives rather than male teens - best present ever.

18. Vivi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not a fantastic cook, but I get by. I can do the basics fairly well but I do like trying something new every now and again - I definitely want to get better. I'm a much better baker though, and I've got a huge sweet tooth so it works out well :grin:

19. MidnightOwl

I can cook and bake. I want to make fresh mint and brown sugar cookies. Basically you use a food processor and processes some mint, make the cookie dough, sprinkle them in there with some brown sugar and cinnamon.

20. Deaf Not Blind

I bet I can cook, BBQ, or bake anything. I just made simple pasta and am eating it now! Funny to find this thread right after making the sauce.