1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

early signs?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hmph, Dec 28, 2012.

1. hmph

hmph Guest

remember having crushes on other girls when they were little, or really liked wearing your sisters dresses and makeup? etc etc

as a kid i had little crushes on my girl best friends (as well as other boys) and my really pretty older cousin. i also never liked wearing dresses, high heels, pink or purple, and especially despised when people referred to me by my full first name. always wanted to be called by my last name, or short name, Alex.
    also really liked boy-assigned toys, like hot wheels, imaginext, g.i. joe, marbles, etc
    however, i also liked polly pockets, littlest pet shop, and my little ponies. i didnt really have any restrictions.

what about you?

2. Lewis

I remember having crushes on guys in school when I was like 7-8, but thinking it was just because I wanted to be their friend. I never actually processed that it could be because I was gay, didn't even know what being gay actually meant.

I mean, I know that I'm male and I'm certain about that, but I did have girly interests. I used to like musicals, acting, had a Barbie and sometimes used to dress up as a girl and put on shows for my friends family...*cringe*!

I'm not really like that now at all, I think I was just exploring myself back then. I wish I still had the confidence to do acting (I went to an acting school), but I quit because I thought people would think it was gay or demasculising. I now wouldn't dare act infront of anybody, I can't even speak in public.

3. There are a lot of early symptoms of homosexuality. The most popular symptoms are playing with toys geared to the opposite gender, and obviously, liking boys... Of course, there are still a lot of gay men who showed little signs, and were perfectly boyish at a young age / vice-versa.

When I was younger, I would dress up as a princess, and prance around in a pink dress... haha. People mistaked me for a girl all the time. I had a collection of barbies, tiaras, and I even had a pink clubhouse.

4. timo

I'm sorry but this made me laugh. Probably because the part about putting on shows reminded me of... me. Worst act I remember doing? Singing along to Shania Twain's 'Man I feel like a woman' while using a towel as a skirt. Awesome :rolle:

My interests were pretty mixed anyway. I had a shitload of toy cars, Lego and other building stuff, but on the other hand I also had a LOT of stuffed toys and once in a while I joined my sister to play with her Barbies or Playmobil. And in high school the majority of my friends were girls.

I've probably had crushes on other boys back then but I don't really remember them. I did have some in high school but I didn't label them as crushes cause back then I didn't know I was gay.

5. Lewis

Haha! I bet our parents were so worried about us.

I remember my friend that was a girl had tons of princess dresses that she made me wear and used to put makeup on me :frowning2: so embarrassing! Who am I kidding, I loved it at the time. It was once an 'opposite day' fancy dress competition at school and I went dressed up in a wig, leather jacket and red stilettos. I was covered in makeup, had balloons for tits and a handbag. I won the competition and everyone thought it was hilarious - when they were trying to pop my tits with pins... :roflmao: I wasn't the only one though, I mean it was opposite day, I just made the extra effort!

6. Greendalehumans

I remember I always got really attached to certain girls. I realize now that they were crushes, but back then I just thought that I really wanted to be their friend :slight_smile:
    I never liked dresses. Still don't. I wouldn't wear heels or dresses or anything. I always felt really uncomfortable in girly clothes. I played with dolls and babies and things, but I also played with Legos and things like that. But all of my siblings did. (I'm one of four). We would all make entire Lego civilizations and cities and then we would play with them for hours until we got into arguments and left. Then we would start it all over :slight_smile:
    However, when I played with Barbies I was... unusually interested in her boobs haha.
    I guess there were some signs that I could have noticed.

7. Adarya

In pre-school and kindergarten I was pretty cut off from others because I just didn't like them and was socially awkward (which got my mother worried about me). When I did finally start making friends around first and second grade I remember only wanting to be friends with the males and boys in my grade and I felt more awkward than I usually did when I was asked by another girl to be friends. For some reason that I didn't know at that time I was always on edge around other girls and I got more shy/awkward. Then I also kissed one of the boys that was my friend in second grade (I don't count it as a real kiss because it was done on a bet and it lasted for three seconds) and I felt very weird doing it, which could have been just how young I was or because I didn't like guys like that at all; I really have no clue. Also, I've always been into more "male" types of toys and when I did get more girly toys (like Barbie's, Polly Pockets, and Little Pet Shop toys) I wouldn't make them play like my mother expected me too. Let's just say that a lot of the pets ended up being kidnapped, thrown off cliffs (my bed), and held for ransom only to be saved by the karate Polly Pockets. I think those are some of my earliest signs of maybe I wasn't straight, but it also might just be me not following gender stereotypes.

8. photoguy93

Looking back, there were different things that I did but I never really thought much of it. Like, I loved Barbies and thought the Ken Doll was fascinating.

I loved Hot Wheels and cars but it was always about family and make believe. I did sometimes dress up because I loved high heels. Haha.

I guess I had crushes on my guy friends, when I look back. But it wasn't normal. I "liked girls" but I think I would have hated getting close to them.
    And then I put it all together. My family is a loving, open family but I wasn't accustomed to seeing gays or hearing about them. We knew of one couple but that didn't really connect with me until later. Had I seen more on tv or understand it more, maybe I would have realized later.

9. timo

I'm completely derailing the thread, but whatever :grin:

I guess they were, but it seems like everything turned out pretty good :lol:

I'm not gonna lie, that sounds pretty cool. I can perfectly imagine a kid parading around in his mothers clothes, haha.

Again you reminded me of something I hoped I'd forgotten... :grin: In primary school we always ended the week with a play. Every week a different grade had to make something, and for some reason I ended up playing a girl quite often (our class had 20 boys and 6 girls, so someone had to do it). One in particular I remember, when I was 10 or so. I had to dress up with a skirt, heels and yes, a handbag too. It even included me hitting someone with the bag, being the angry wife I am :lol: Pretty embarassing. And no way on earth I'd do something like that again, I'm way too self conscious now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. hello1992

liked playing with doll houses, like playing house, was curious about makeup but never really tried, preferred hanging out with girls at primary school, liked britney spears and madonna etc, i liked the look of my football coach but didn't really feel feel proper attractions or register what crushes were until later on. I also admired built up men

I remember in primary school looking ta girls and thinking that i couldn't imagine myself wanting to be with a girl (despite having no sense of attraction at that stage). I remember liking how one of my male friends smelled (just clean clothes smell).

But according to a family friend, when i was like a baby i used to enjoy playing with my mum's clip-on earings and used to wear them (thankfully i haven't crossed dressed since). I wass really embarrassed me when i heard this ! How tragic!

11. Lewis

Aha! Sure you're not me? I was whacking people too. I'll stop taking over the thread now...:icon_wink

12. MerBear

i had a crush on ths girl in my middle school. rosalyn , i'll never forget her , she was hispanic and she was just beautiful and funny to mention her , i had a Dream about her the other night and in the dream we were in the locker rooms and i looked at her and got those "butterflies" then went up to her and she & i were talking so then i confessed my feelings to her in the dream and she was shocked of course.

i think i had that dream because i never got to truly tell her how i felt so that was the only way i got to tell her and not until last year did i realize i had a crush on her , i didn't think anything of it.

i couldn't get enough of her , i was always nervous around her and way too shy to talk to her and whats really funny was that she was in my pre-school with me and in 5th grade , we talked some and hung out but by 7th grade , we never talked ....we always saw eachother in the halls but never spoke to one another

also i was like one of the guys ...i would always try and be tough. i hated dresses and still kind of do , i like to work out and stuff. i think like a guy in some ways.

i hated dolls so much when i was kid though , they freaked me out and still do.
    as for barbie dolls....i remember being intrigued by the barbie because of the boobs but that's the closets thing , i'll come to be comfortable with a doll

13. Of Mice and Men

I'm pretty sure the photo of me at age five dressed up in a full dress and ruby slippers like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz was a sure-fire sign. I'm not exactly a very effeminate gay either so I'm not exactly sure where the heck that came from.

14. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I had a crush on my female teacher in kindergarten. At the time I didnt know it was a crush but looking back it all adds up.

I used to play with toys meant for girls and other toys meant for boys. So I played with Barbies and Lego. I was actually more of a bookworm though so yeah... :grin:

I loved being with the guys and going outside and getting covered in mud! I hated looking girly and I was your typical tomboy feral! I had a great childhood come to think of it! :grin:

15. jvn95

I remember one time I used a towel as a skirt and took my moms umbrella and said "I'm the Queen of Swizzlerland!!"

And I remember begging my mom for a polly pocket toy once and she got it and then my dad scolded me for wanting a girl toy :/

I had many stuffed animals. But by far the one that I was most attached to was a beaver beanie baby named Beaver. She was my best friend and I had her for 10 years until middle school. I still feel bad I got rid of her because I was trying to be guyish and grown up :frowning2:

I remember having the biggest crush on my "best friend" I would call him all the time and when I didn't see him during the summer (wasn't allowed to go out when I was a kid) I would draw pictures of him and feel sad.

Other than that, I was your typical annoying little boy most of the time

16. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Was always a tomboy growing up and loved playing with Hot Wheels, Lego and skateboarding!

I had my first crush on a teacher in elementary, I was 10 years old at the time, I've never developed crushes on any of my friends I don't think, except the one I have now. :rolle:

I've always had a much deeper connection with women than I have had with men. I've never really gone boy crazy. I've had guy friends and hang out with my roommates who are male, but I've never wanted to get closer to a guy physically or sexually, there was always something that felt off about it.

17. AutomaticStop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had crushes on a few of my girl friends when I was a little kid. But the biggest clue was that for a few years, around the time of the new year I would say, "This year I'm going to be a boy! Everybody call me Alex, okay? That's my new name."
    My sister was supportive of this, because she always wanted an older brother and I had always wanted to be an older brother.

18. Onyxknight

I remember playing "Doctor" with a neighbor girl when I was about 9 or so, and I had something wrong "in that area." I also remember staying the night with a daycare friend when I wasn't much older, and I actually went down on her. Obvously, I had no clue what I was doing (in terms of technique) or how socially unaccepted it was, I was just playing "House." High school may have pushed me into the truth, but there were signs.

19. Wndy

Wndy Guest

I also played "Doctor" with a female friend, though I think I was a little older.

A couple times I snuggled with girls during sleepovers, imagining they were guys. (At the time I was clear that I liked guys, but thought I had to pick one gender.) I was just as awkward around attractive girls as I was around attractive guys, almost as though gender their gender was irrelevant. (Well, yeah...) And I was always awkward looking at female models modeling underwear/bras, though I had no problem with male models in undies.

It's all so obvious in retrospect. :slight_smile:

20. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I was young, I liked to play with action figures and play Power Rangers and watch anime like DBZ and Rurouni Kenshin. And I hated wearing dresses or makeup.

I also remember having crushes on boys, but never actually being attracted to them. In fact I don't remember the feelings I had for boys. When it came to girls however, the feelings were so intense and so wonderful, I thought I would die.