1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

15 year old (apparently gay) teen invents new early detection for cancer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chip, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just read this article. A 15 year old guy just won an international award ($75,000) for inventing advanced early-detection tests for three different, very deadly forms of cancer. His tests are far more accurate, and cost a few cents per test administration.

And... given that his Facebook "likes" are full of gay references... and seeing his reaction to winning the award, which leaves just about zero possibility the guy could be straight... he's gay. While being gay has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on his achievement, it's always nice to see LGBT people get this sort of visibility because it helps remind people that we are everywhere... and also helps inspire those who may feel limited or somehow less valuable because they're gay.

2. Lewis

Great achievement, but that reaction is just hilarious. Congratulations to him!

3. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i feel so inadequate now @~@

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, I just found this TED presentation he gave... describing how he did what he did... and basically making it sound like *anyone* can do just as profound things as he did. Now I feel really inadequate too. Imagine what he's going to be doing at 25? :slight_smile:

[youtube]r55a0FapF2M[/youtube]

5. Gen

Gen

Its not even that I feel inadequate, I just feel annoyed.

I mean when it comes to what is important/should be instilled in a child to succeed, my mother did a good job at. However, she, like most parents, focused and tried to guide their child automatically towards stability, not paying to much attention to 'oppertunity'. Which is important, but not to seem boastful, but I have always been considered beyond my years intellectually and, of course, I am still quite young and will hopefully achieve the goals I plan in the future.....I dont know. It just would have been nice to know what I could have done given the oppertunities of some of these kids.

6. Given To Fly

I think, regardless of this guy's age or sexuality, that it's great that a huge number of people will have more of a shot at beating cancer thanks to this new form of test. Cancer is an awful disease, I've lost people I'm close to through cancer, so anything that helps in the fight against it can only be good.

7. jvn95

BAHAHAHAHAHAA I died seeing his reaction!

*ahem* His breakthrough is really impressive by the way.

8. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This guy is amazing! :eek:

He makes it SOUND like an easy feat, and he sure did an amazing thing! Kudos! :thumbsup:

9. These.