1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better or Worse?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by an0nchick, Dec 28, 2012.

1. an0nchick

Some people say that violent crimes have gone down, but, in the recent shooting at the elementary school, I'm just not sure...

Please :help: ?

2. Italy or Bust

If you are talking about within the United States, I think the whole culture has been desensitized to violence and accustomed to a perpetual war industry. I consider that crime worse than (but tangentally connected) to the gun violence on our streets.

3. grizzleybear33

4. Onyxknight

Take into consideration, that's one crime out of goodness knows how many. Not saying that it's going up, but that's just the worst thing happening right now. Media covers what sells (based on the companies affiliations and beliefs.) There are countless other things going on (good and bad) that no one covers because they aren't considered sensational enough to warrant the time, money, and effort. Also keep in mind that this was something big enough to get national attention. A lot of things aren't, particularly heart-warming acts of kindness or bravery. The media loves to report the bad stuff, but rarely the good!

5. Harve

I'm not downplaying its significance, but it really is just an isolated incident, albeit shocking. Unfortunately there are many, many other violent crimes committed that aren't widely reported in the media as they occur in areas and circumstances that are sadly commonplace.

Crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This says that there were almost 15,000 murders committed in America in 2010, and whilst the USA's murder rate has halved in the last twenty years, it's still far higher than any other industrialised country.
    The UK's violent crime rate has been declining over the last few decades as well, although the Lesser Depression since 2008 has meant that it's beginning to uptick slightly. (or at least, that's a likely explanation)

6. an0nchick

Better yet, how to stop caring about the world and focus on my own life?

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm coming onto the idea that all these recent shootings are a creation of politicians (allied with some of the media) with something to gain by disarming the populace.

Call me a tinfoil hat wearer, but it's just too convenient. High-profile massacres all involving a SPECIFIC gun setup (.223 caliber AR-15 with flash hider and 30rd. magazines) are decried as reasons to crack down on "assault weapons", despite the fact that the Sandy Hook shooter used pistols to do his murdering, and the firefighter-killing guy was a felon who wasn't allowed to have guns at all. On the other hand, incidents like the December 17th San Antonio shooting (where a lawful concealed permit holder used his gun to save dozens of lives) are barely mentioned on the national scale. I see it as a cover-up because it goes against the media's message that widespread gun bans are necessary.

On the whole, more legally owned guns = less crime, and the murderers are less likely to have defenseless targets. It's a big mess, but I think the right course of action will find popularity sooner or later.

8. an0nchick

Maybe there is a liberal bias? IDK....

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not to make it sound like conservatives don't have their media, because they do. Fox News is basically a laughingstock for how hard they spin stories to the right. But overall, it's becoming impossible to ignore.