1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Appearance important to you first impressions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Alexander69

Ok so this is a topic that is discussed so often here and in the media (appearance) now my question is does someone's appearance matter alot to you when you are looking for a relationship? Or are you looking for someone that is similar or opposite to you (appearance not so important) care more for the person. Now I'm not saying that after you've met the person appearance kinda thing I'm saying first impressions. so does appearance matter?

2. AutomaticStop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I believe it does to me. Not so much how attractive somebody is (although that can certainly be a factor) but rather their general appearance and the impression they give off. This usually involves me stereotyping people who wear certain types of clothing or have certain hairstyles.

3. Suffocation

Well, lets think about this. If I'm looking for a super hot piece of male, (yummy), you cant really 'see' peoples personality. For example, if i want a relationship with some random dude i find the street, i cant tell if they are nice/good personality. I mean, they might show it, but you never know.

you always have to look at someone and say, 'im interested, lets hope they have a good personality too.' and if they dont, you find the next hot guy that might have one.

4. MidnightOwl

I've actually, exclusively dated online. It's so much easier, imo to get to no someone first without the obligation of seeing them. For me I do not see male or female. And often times I love to transcend into the mind beforehand and know the person. When I see their mind I see their body.

5. SkyDiver

Appearance is what drives me in. I know that's extremely shallow, but it's just the way it is.

Personality is what determines whether I leave or not. :slight_smile:

6. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Basically this.

7. Alexander69

This is a little off topic but does financials make or break relationships for anyone also? Being if someone has more money or less money or a major factor if someone is in debt? Just asking these questions cause I have my answers in my head but I want to see it my feelings are like everyone else's before I say them.

8. Wndy

Wndy Guest

Your first questions, about whether appearance is a factor when I'm looking for someone...I'm not sure how to answer. It wasn't a factor with falling in love, but when I was looking for dates before my boyfriend came along I don't remember eying anyone who I thought might be unattractive. Then again, when I was interested in someone, that might have clouded whether I thought they were attractive.

The second question, about money, is easier. If they're in debt I wouldn't want to get my finances tangled up with theirs, but otherwise money is no problem. My boyfriend has been unemployed for a while and has to pay child support for his ex, and I honestly don't care. Although it does limit what we can do for dates, since I'm also tight on money.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think there's any question that, first impressions, appearance influences things. Your eyes will naturally be drawn to someone attractive. However, for me at least, I'm talking natural attractiveness. Someone who takes steps to dress neatly and look nice is a plus. But someone who goes overboard... wears makeup, has a fake tan, wears pretentious clothes, jewelry, or the like, and obviously spends a ton of time on his appearance would not be someone I'd have any interest in, simply because that indicates a level of shallowness that I wouldn't find appealing at all. Others may feel differently.

Finances are not an issue for me whatsoever, though if they are in a whole lot of debt, as the poster mentioned above, that might be an issue simply because it could complicate finances if a relationship develops. If anything, someone who flaunts their money with clothes, jewelry, fancy cars, etc. would probably be a turn-off, for the same reason I gave above. I have friends who are quite wealthy, but you'd never know it, and they don't talk about it, don't act like it, and don't dress like it. They're just, as far as anyone can tell, ordinary people.

10. MatthewJS

Appearance for me? No. Only things in common and great personality.

11. Delta

I know it shouldn't, but it really does. :/ I feel bad, but it means a lot to me.

12. Renge

Yeah, it does matter to me. But, if they have bad personalities, I'll back off. So yeah..

Well, my crush sometimes has difficulties in money. And helping her made me happy. Soo.. Why not sharing if we can? I mean, we'll do anything to our loved one, right?

13. MidnightOwl

I think for me, I would much prefer a partner money wise who is equal to me. Both starting out, butwith a mostly clean slate with credit and stuff. So it's easier for us to function together.

14. koilfong

koilfong Guest

i know its really bad for me to say this but it does kinda matter at first... but i guess its the first thing you notice about a person...

15. RebelD

Appearance for me is not as important as personality. There has to be similar interests in my opinion and the guy has to have a good personality. But attraction is needed for a relationship to work, so appearance, although second, is still important.

As for money, it doesn't matter to me at all if the guy is filthy rich or not. Money doesn't make the person or the relationship

16. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Basically this. Like if someone just gives a spontaneous, fun general impresssion, that already makes them ten times more attractive. You know, smile a lot, be confident, visibly have fun, have a certain recognizable personality.. that makes someone stand out for me.

Then if we hit it off, too..

17. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'll agree with those who say it's perfectly natural for appearance to sway a first impression one way or another. Though it's a horrible way of judging character it's more or less true for all of us to some extent regardless; even if doing this conflicts with our own principles of acceptance and tolerance for people who seem different than us. Cause of course it's possible for somebody who looks completely unkempt to have a heart of gold and turn out to be your best friend ever once you get to know him a bit. I'm sure all of us know that. It's just that a clean and inviting outward appearance transmits a more positive message than that of someone who... I dunno lets say... dresses all in black and looks super sketchy.. trenchcoat and the works, carries around a briefcase (or is obviously concealing something by some means in other words), takes a shower maybe once a month or 2 and smells like roadkill. While it's just as possible for that person to be pure Ghandi or jesus or whatever on the inside; since that isn't immediately communicated to us on the outside we won't equate the person with such characteristics from the get go. A less attractive personality will likely come to mind and instinctively we'll avoid him, at least until we get to know him and become more familiar with his true self. I don't think it's something we can really help, just happens automatically without us really thinking about it.

18. hmph

hmph Guest

yeah of course it matters, and if that's shallow, so be it.
    when i meet someone, initially i am attracted to the person who dresses nicer, has a nice face, hair, smile, etc.
    but history shows that the people i have dated have never particularly been the most attractive people in the world. for me, i need to be sexually attracted to you before i consider dating. my boyfriend isn't super model, he isn't a 10/10. he's cute, and he can be utterly handsome or sexy sometimes. when i first met him, i never really thought about dating him. he was just cute, not really 'hot', i suppose. but turns out he's the best match for me, and now, damn i think he's f*ing attractive.
    personality is what gets me.
    let's suppose i met two people at a restaurant or something. one is the guy i'm dating now, and the other is some really hot girl, nice boobs, stylish, etc. yeah i'd go after the girl. i mean, she's hot, and i'm a horn dog, so let's get this boat moving, c'mon!
    looks influence you, but it's important to know that they have no boundaries on personality.

19. hello1992

I'd want initial attraction. I guess the first thing that you notice about a person if their appearance, so it would matter. There are loads of guys i see every day but would probably never speak to most of them so i can only judge them initially by appearance.

Ofc once i meet them then personality is important. There's several examples where i have found someone physically attractive but later realized i didnt like their personality, and similarly i have become attracted to people only after getting to know them.

20. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yup

not really, unless they're in real poverty/homeless