1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Day of Silence

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nisomer, Apr 12, 2005.

1. nisomer

http://www.dayofsilence.org/

Man I wish I could have found out about this earlier..It's tomorrow. I can't believe that my school is not participating. There are 2 high schools 10 minutes away from mine that are participating and one of them is in my district.

Anyone thinking of participating? I think I would have, but I have a speech to give tomorrow..damn.

2. goratrix

Wow. it's great. Pitty though that I'm not in US. Not really happening here... Although taking a vow of silence is an interesting idea... Not really my style...

3. Micah

My school did this a few years ago. Everyone ended up cheating. lol.

4. hawkeye

I didnt realize that my school was doing this, it was the Young demacrats that set it up, I'm actually more of a republican and that is very well known by everyone. But anyways, the leader of the Y.D.s said over the anouncements that because Gays, Lesbians, Bis, Queers, Transexuals, etc stay silent for so many years the Day of Silence has been organized to challenge people to stay silent for a day, just to get an idea of what its like to be silent for so many years. I believe that most of the Young Demacrats at my school made vows not to speak at all in an effort for the event. Now, while I was at lunch today, the subject came up, and one kid started asking stuff like "whats with the day of silence, it doesnt make any sence". It was kind of nice having an excuse to talk about this. I basicly said that it is a challenge for other people to experiance not being able to talk, and that many gays have to live without letting anybody know their entire lives. Its ironic that I'm explaining how hard it is to keep a secret bottled up, without letting it be known that I have my secret bottled up inside of me. If they ever ask, I think I will be telling them that my dad has gay employees, oh well, they can find out when i feel like it.

5. hawkeye

Well, just a followup, later on in the day i was able to talk to one of my friends who is a young demacrat and helped set the day of silence up for my school. He told me that they signed vows to stay silent throughout the day in respect. Unfortunately, he decided that he couldnt stand it halfway through the first class. I hope he somewhat gets the idea how hard it is.

6. okstatecowboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I kinda participated in the Day of Silence. I gave my students a test that day. I spoke very briefly each period, then clammed up. I even changed out my AIDS ribbon on my ID tag for a pride flag. A few students noticed the change, but most are clueless... I've never hidden my orientation from them, but I don't really mention it either. Once in a while, they'll ask me if I have a girlfriend... then someone else will ask if I have a boyfriend. I simply reply no and that if I were looking, I could find one on my own.

mikey

7. chev012

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    we've never had a day of silence at my school even
    though there is a lot of bullying between all the different
    groups.:icon_sad:

8. Today4U

I'm just starting High School. I think the new school does have a day of silence. Well, at least it has in the other years. They usually hand out pins and stuff. It's pretty cool! I will certainly be participating! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

9. 24601

Although I don't usually think it's very cool, I'm kind of glad this was bumped from the Stone Age. I may participate this year.

10. EthanS

EthanS Guest

What is it???

11. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I emailed the principal of my middle school about that and she said she would pass it on to the student council. I also thought I send the email without a name, but I guess it said my name under sender so I guess I outed myself ^_^

12. Jeimuzu

I've never understood the point. It won't stop the bullies, and it won't pass any laws. You want things to change? You start petitions, you get your whole school to write a letter to your local representative. Then they'll sit up and take notice.

You want rights? You want to stop the bullying? Then you do something about it. Not speaking for a day has exactly the same amount of affect as spending the day doing the can-can, and it'll probably even have a detrimental affect on your education, since it's rather bloody hard to learn when you can't ask - or answer - questions.

13. Today4U

It encourages, and respects people like us, and people who support us. It's sort of like our holiday, I guess.(!)

14. Jerr

I thought I made a thread on this... because I did it.

I did until after school (sister called)

Showed who my real friends where... which amounted to 1 teacher pretty much... everyone else tried to get me to talk...

EDIT: Found the other thread.
    http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1104&highlight=silence

There is another besides this one and mine. Maybe we should try searching for important threads before we post them.

15. Jeimuzu

How?

I can't see how it encourages anyone. And I wouldn't consider it a holiday if all that's changed is that I can't speak.

I can see the symbolism, but the bullies aren't gonna care.

16. Today4U

Okay! I give up! :bang:

17. Jeimuzu

Lol! (*hug*)

I'm not trying to preach to you, it just doesn't seem practical to me. Frankly, getting through a day without speaking is quite tough, especially if you're at school. If you're willing to put in that effort for symbolism, surely you could aim it a little better? I can't see anybody with any influence looking at a few silent kids and letting it influence his decisions. The way to do it is petitioning, sending letters, complaining to newspapers - most have a section for letters.

18. I think you have a point here, actually. But keep in mind that the Day Of Silence can also be used as a day to remember those who have died because of violence against the LGBT community. Raising all kinds of hell wouldn't exactly be the most respectful thing to do on this particular day, really. And it's not just "a few silent kids"; the GLSEN estimated that around 450,000 people participated in more than 4,000 schools. Groups of far fewer people have changed the world before.

Clicking on the website provided by the OP or looking at this Wikipedia entry should be helpful.

#18 MonsieurGodiva, Aug 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2007
  19. Jerr

"The Day of Silence is an annual event held to commemorate and protest anti-LGBT bullying, harassment and discrimination in schools. Students and teachers nationwide will observe the day in silence to echo the silence that LGBT and ally students face everyday. In it's 11th year, the Day of Silence is one of the largest student-led actions in the country."

(thats from http://www.dayofsilence.org/)

That is from the one I started... hope it helps you understand a little bit on why.

20. Time

That's really cool, and I would love to do something like that.

But unfortunately, as most know, I live in a homophobic town. They would sooooo not support that at our school :frowning2: