1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever been confronted about your sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GayforGuys, Dec 29, 2012.

1. GayforGuys

Have you ever been confronted about it?
    As in someone just plain asking to your face are you Gay, Bi, etc...?

And if so what was your response?

I remember one of my friends asked seemingly as a joke at first. Basically I have a friend who is gay and we were all hanging out, everyone else being female. And of them blurted out with "looks like it's not just us women here that like dick." Looks at gay friend, then to me, "unless you do?" Again, meant as a joke, but I guess the very obvious blushing and trying to avoid the question gave something away.
    It felt as everyone was staring at me like a Circus act.
    I just felt this horrible feeling in my stomach, like someone had put their hand in and ripped it out, and I was mumbling excessively.
    Eventually made an excuse to leave, fresh air, smoke, all was better.
    She never brought it up again, thankfully.

That was about a year ago, when I was in the closet...with a padlock...and a metal door, haha!
    Now I have a general if someone asks I'll tell them, but I don't go out my way to tell everyone, unless family asks, that is still a HUGE no go!
    I guess the Philosophy being I don't want to shove it in people's faces, or make a big deal out of it, the whole 'there's so much more to me than my sexuality' thing.

So that was my experience, what are yours?

2. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    My roommate freshman year of college asked me multiple times if I was gay. She even made up a chant with another one of my friends. They cornered me in my room one day and chanted "It's okay to be gay!" for about five minutes. I just wanted to die at that point I was so embarrassed. I was not even really out to myself at that point.

3. animequeen567

Yes and no. My sister says all the time that I'm not attracted to guys and that I'm a lesbian. I can't tell if she's serious or not. Sometimes she sounds like she's joking. I don't think she would care if I was though. I always deny it because I'm not a lesbian. I'm attracted to people with a kind heart, guys included! :grin: One of my friends thinks I'm bisexual and I usually don't say anything about it. She doesn't ask, she honestly just assumes things because of stuff I do or say and says "well I'm not bi so I don't (insert whatever I said or did here)" I told her "maybe" once but she either doesn't listen to me or doesn't care. I'm pansexual though and never really upfront say it to anyone.

4. grizzleybear33

A kid on my baseball team is convinced I'm gay and since I am not out I have to deny it as best as I can. He even tries to point it out to other people WHILE HE IS TALKING TO ME! Now that I think about it I probably should just tell him since he already "knows" I am gay.

5. Suffocation

Maybe he is gay also, busting your nut, and maybe possibly trying to get some? ( ;DDDD )

OT:
    I have been confronted about being gay. I am actually pretty flamboyant, which is the biggest factor (to the public) to convince someone they are gay. I always refuse to admit, which prolongs the mystery for them longer.

6. hmph

hmph Guest

whenever i would date a girl, people would ask me if i was gay.
    when i dated a guy, people would ask if i was "straight now?"
    some people would ask, "oh are you bisexual?"
    i dont think people realize that these questions are quite invasive and hard to answer.

7. Suffocation

agreed. tell them you just like 'different tastes' every now and then. :slight_smile:

8. leer

not going into how they found out but a mate of mine at school confronted me about being gay. at first I denied it but later on that day after thinking about it all I caught up with him & admitted it was true.never been so scared in my life .

9. Suffocation

Did he accept you for it? (I hope :3)

10. leer

He said he was cool with it Later on I discovered he had issues accepting it thought it was a phase I was going through .

11. Average Joe

Yes, I have. Twice, but I can not remember the second time. It happend for the first time about a year ago. I was with my not-so-close friend and he commented on a guy, walking by at some distance from us, who we were both pretty sure was gay. I don't remember what he said exactly, but I responded (jokingly): "Well, maybe he likes you", to which he said: "Yeah, right", and then a minute of silence followed. Finally, he asked: "Are you gay?". I'm pretty sure my heart skipped a beat or two at that point, but eventually I used my usual tactics and pretty much laughed it off. Phew, it was a close call!

12. hello1992

Yes,

1) at secondary school people used to ask me outright whether i was gay. I think this wa used to taunt me more than anything. Most of my friends, after a discussion about campness and our ability to get into a selective gay club, said i didnt seem gay at all. I would just shrug away.

2) One of my friends asked if i was asexual becuase i seemed to show no sexual preference (my job was done, noone could suspect i was in the closet :slight_smile: ). I told him i am not and he shouldn't judge people like that and it is also rude to ask soemone who may not be as comfortable talking about such things.

3) A few people have asked very casually and i gave a very casual straight guy response.

13. zabian1

Out Status:
    A few people
    I was put on the spotlight in maths class when a boy i had liked sooo so ssssssso much basically outed me to one kid who happened to be the loud mouth of the form room, nevertheless he tended to ask formerly but in a tone that was not forceful nor non-important and asked me "****, are you in love with this boy?" and i said "No" and in a very sad and upset manner told him to" F*c* Off", because i was so upset about it i excussed myself from the class after the commotion had eased.

14. Shannon

Shannon Guest

In school.... they do it as a cruel hard joke. Most likely to make me even more depressed :l I always deny it because it would be just a perfect opitunity for them:frowning2:

15. Yeah, I would answer honestly if they weren't saying it in a joking way + if they weren't rumor spreading 24/7. So far, I haven't really been asked. (And to be clear, I don't tell the rumor-spreaders I'm gay ._.)

16. Joey4

Good thread. Great stories.

I've been confronted a handful of times. Most recently, I was confronted at work around February this year. I had always hated to confrontation, but I think this last one is the one that helped me turn the corner with accepting myself. I was ready to go find another job and never go back to work at that place ever again. I didn't deny when they asked, I just didn't say anything and let the conversation fizzle out naturally.

I was really angry at the time. Word traveled fast and everyone knew the rumor because I haven't confirmed anything yet, still haven't. But people aren't stupid. They know. The great thing is though is that they all like me. I have guys nearly twice my age who ask to exchange phone numbers with me when they leave so they can keep in touch. I even got a call out of the blue from a guy I used to work with who is my age, just to catch up.

We're so worried because we don't think we're going to be accepted so we don't tell anyone. And I, myself, still haven't. But it's nice to know that even with the rumor still in place that my reception at my job is as awesome as it is.

17. BudderMC

I've only been confronted once, by a friend of mine in high school. We were going on a car ride somewhere (probably on spare period...) and she outright asked me if I was gay. After denying, she hounded me for the rest of the 20 minute ride, until I gave up and made up some imaginary girl from work I was interested in. :eusa_doh:

I was still pretty deep in denial at this point - I knew I liked guys but didn't like it at all. I've never been more terrified.

I've never been more terrified. Coincidentally, I haven't seen her in ages and I'm actually going to hang out with her right now, so we'll see what happens now that I'm out. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. Michael96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have. Began back in my twenties all the way to my fifties. I had some a few encounters being with a guy - yet on all instances there wasn't there any intercourse penetration. I reflect upon these memories and they begin to give me some hope.

-THIS IS MY FIRST POST (and I really want to become a FULL member here).

I'm excited guys! (!)

:eusa_danc
    (yet the sad part is realizing this in your fifties!! I don't feel like one of these (whatever) daddies. I feel relief and a peace (inner conflict is considerably less). I'VE JUST GOT TO PUT MYSELF NOW IN SITUATIONS, JOIN club meetings, etc so I can be basically around the beautiful people.)
    I enjoy being a Newbie, baby... it's like romance on a pink cloud.

#18 Michael96, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  19. Brenny

This type of thing has happened a handful of times, but mostly where the asker is talking in circles or trying to find and answer indirectly without actually asking my orientation.

There were only a couple times I got directly asked. At my old job, two different girls just randomly asked if I was gay. Those were the first times I admitted it to anyone. In the first case, I just couldn't say it. I explained to her that I was more interested in... that I'd never marry a girl. I never said it but she got the point. A month later another girl asked at work and I just froze and freaked out. Then it was like, just say it! So I was like, "...yeah. Why?!" After that she asked if I had a boyfriend. The convo just fizzled out.

The last time it has ever happened, I was at sushi with like 10 people. And I was grilling my friend about who he liked. He keeps a lot private. Then another guy was like "why are you so interested?" Then a new girl to the group was like, "Because he's gay." I silently freaked out. I was was like omgomgomg what am i gonna do?! Then she continued, "He's gay. . . (turns to me) Are you gay?" I was like, ". . . . no. . ." It was a pathetic refusal. I wasn't ready to come out to all of them. I don't remember after that but thankfully that portion of the conversation ended quickly. I'm at the point where direct denial just isn't easy anymore. Lying gets exhausting.

20. Tiny Catastrophe

Yes my stepmom and my cousin asked me when I was like 13 out of nowhere and at that time I didn't even know it myself. I was dating boys and never thought about girls that way or had an attraction to them (that I had noticed that is) until I was 15 or 16.