1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the Athiests

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miz Purple, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  2. TheUglyBarnacle

You mean disprove, right?

As far as the first one is concerned, I think it's funny that he considers this argument well-structured enough to bring up in a conversation where people over the age of ten are involved The famous parable of the dragon in the garage by Sagan is probably more than enough. If it does not satisfy him, though, one could just tell him that the whole "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" applies to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, too. Then he will have to admit that his god is as likely to exist as His Noodly Appendage.

The second one is just as bad. Number 2 and 4 are completely objective. Concerning 2: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Concerning 4: Tell that to the Neo-Nazis
    Concerning 1: Oh, this is ridiculous. I won't even bother. There's just too many things that can be said. Concerning 3: Define conscious. If he means it the way I perceive it, then I can't see why there's no evidence for it.

Damn, I'm sleepy. I'll just read the rest of the article at some other time.

Not trying to offend anyone but the person who used the aforementioned arguments. I usually try to avoid discussing god unless some religious fanatic comes along and blinds me with their ignorance. (kinda like this dude or my RE teacher)

3. returning

4. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ha ha, wow.

I really don't have much more to say.

5. MidnightOwl

6. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    um, i'm pretty sure you mean subjective. & he's right, none of those 4 statements can be proven.

also, Dawkins [& every other new athiest] is an idiot. he's also a racist & misogynistic scumbag, but that's irrelevant.

7. jvn95

Whatever.

I'm so sick of religion and "god" and "faith"

I've prayed and prayed for years with no answer, no help, just a silent and dead god.
    I've recently began to be atheist, but it feels so good to feel like there is no god condemning old testament god that hates everyone.

People can believe in whatever they want to, the more you try to "prove" god, the more your insecurities show, if your so certain there is a god...

Then shut the F*** up and keep believing and quit trying to assert it.

8. MidnightOwl

Blasphemy. Dawkins is a very very smart man. He's intelligent and very clever.

9. TheUglyBarnacle

Yeah, that's what I meant. Stupid brain refuses to go to sleep but won't function properly either.

I don't know about #3 but my point is that even though they can't be proven that doesn't mean they're right. Especially the one about the Nazis.

I gotta agree. Dawkins is an asshole. But not every new atheist is an idiot. That's like saying that every theist is irrational. Sweeping generalisations are kinda offensive.

10. FollowtheFreeman

The evidence is in the fact of probability, or in the question of God, improbability. The Tea Pot argument helps drive the point home. Imagine, right now, that a dozen miles from the surface of Mars is a tea pot, completely intact and orbiting the atmosphere.

Now, the probability that a tea pot would be orbiting Mars is completely illogical. The amount of variables involved is astronomical, implausible as it would seem. But you cannot say that it is not there. This argument can also be used to help provide theists an argument, but I feel like the miss the point a lot of the time.

The probability that there is an invisible omnipotent being floating above Earth who created everything in a matter of days is more improbable than the belief of The Big Bang theory or some other theory.

I stopped reading everything after that because I knew there were going to be too many flaws in his argument for myself to point out tonight. Besides, I don't want to start an argument.

P.S. Thanks, gordilocks, for calling me an idiot. I love you too.

11. TheUglyBarnacle

BTW, I agreed to the scumbag part. He's certainly not an idiot. I don't know about racist and misogynist as I haven't read much of his stuff.

12. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ah cool.

i would agree abt the Nazis being evil, but not everyone would & as it can't be proven it can't really be said to be empirically 'right'

every theist who is absolutely 100% certain that God exists is irrational, just as every athiest who is 100% sure God doesn't exist is irrational too. though by new atheist, i only really meant Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris et al & ppl who dogmatically cling to everything they say & practically worship them

13. MidnightOwl

There is 100% certainty that god doesn't exist. It isn't irrirational.

14. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sure you'll be able to prove it beyond all reasonable doubt then.

15. aidan

He uh.. stupidly dismissed a feminism dispute by saying "these other people have it worse".

Oh, no, not again…once more unto the breach – Pharyngula

I don't get the racist accusation though...

But anyway.. yeah. The guy who wrote the original article is really stupid and has done nothing more than reuse trite and often debunked arguments.

16. MidnightOwl

There is a lot of fact that there is no God.

I could go into a very long long long reason as into why.

17. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^yeah, that's what i'm asking you to do. feel free to make it as long as you like, i wanna be 100?% convinced

18. TheUglyBarnacle

Nvm I gtg

#18 TheUglyBarnacle, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  19. CinePhys

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So you're just trying to provoke? Mature.

20. MidnightOwl

Thing is I can't convince you, however, throughout my studies and understanding of religion and theisms and cultural. Gods simply do not exist. And Gods are no longer needed in this world. Gods do not make people any less or more moral. It's the parent ideology with religion that prays upon fear.

Magic, the supernatural, I can see being beneficial to let's say a tribal environment. Like a lot of tribes in Africa still believein magic and witchcraft. But this is becuase this is how they explain science, it's how they can understand the world and how it makes sense to them. It gives an explanation for things because of the lack of that knowledge.

I find it almost ridiculous that there are so many religions claiming to be the right one when they are worshipping the same god damn God. Just one is a Jew perception of God, a Muslism perception, and a Christian perception.

Not only that, but I find it hilarious how they want to claim that religion is uniqu. When Jesus is Horus from Egypt. Amen is an Egyptian god, so you're praying to a whole different God when you say Amen.

Let alone look at the test of claims to say their religion was one and only. We call Greek and Roman mythology for a reason. Once religion, proven wrong. But it was the easiest way of explaining science.

But we now in the technological world know mostly things and how things work.

Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children - YouTube

"A portion of the population doesn't believe that and it holds everyone back" Now I know the video is about creationism specifically, but this is very true in other aspects as well.

Religion holds the society back. We could easily advance into a new existence of knowledge. But some people want to cling unto theories created 2,000 years ago. Hate to say it we don't live 2,000 years ago. We live in the contemporary world now. We know how evolution works, we know how the world got here, we know so much. And yet people still want to cling to magic and supernatural elements to explain what we know.