1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could you do a long distance relationship?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jared, Dec 31, 2012.

?

Could you be in a long distance relationship?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    29.1%
  3. Maybe

23 vote(s)
    29.1%
  4. Have been in a LDR and would do it again

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. Have been in a LDR and wouldn't do it again

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  1. Jared

Just curious who here could do a LDR. Personally I don't think I could, I'd liked a boyfriend that I could see. Though if we'd been dating a while and then he moved for work or something like that I could probably deal with it.

2. ORly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could if they lived close enough that we could visit relatively frequently. No more than say an 8 hour drive. Or if they lived in my home town which is a 12 hour drive, but I go there often anyways.

I agree that it would be more feasible if I had already known them in person before it became a LDR.

3. redstormrising

I don't think I could (or would want to) establish a relationship as a LDR, but if we'd already been together for awhile and the period of separation was for a defined period of time, then I'd be willing to try that.

4. ORly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the idea of a defined period of time too. ^

It would be a real waste imo if neither party had explicit plans to end the distance.

5. Bolin

I voted "maybe." It would depend on a few factors. If I have a rather significantly large amount of trust for this guy, and we actually have plans on eventually moving in together or one of us moving to the other's area, then maybe. If it's someone who doesn't live in the U.S., sorry, it's a no-go. Same for people I haven't known for a long time. I guess another requirement is that we've met in person/have solid plans to meet in person or at least talked on the phone/video chatted a lot.

If I were dating someone local and they had to move away for a job [and it would be highly inconvenient or impossible for me to move with him], I'd still keep my relationship with him depending on how close we are. If we're in the initial stages of dating and I'm not feeling too strong about it, I probably wouldn't pursue it any longer and [unfortunately] break off from him.

6. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Been there, done that. We really tried to make it work, but an LDR just doesn't do it for me. I want to see the guy I'm dating more often than an LDR allows.

7. SkyDiver

Couldn't do it.

8. timo

Define long distance.

I consider anything more than an hour away to be "too far" for a stable relationship, I feel like you should be able to easily visit each other. So I was slightly surprised to read that someone else considers an 8 hour drive to be acceptable. Not even my summer holiday is that far away.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I met somebody online who I ended up clicking with very much. The problem was - he was 2000 miles away. But I figured there was no harm in giving it a go for awhile. Several months after we started, he flew out to visit me. A month later, I flew out to visit him. Then, a couple months after that, he took the huge step of uprooting his life and moving to my city.

That was fifteen years ago. We're still together.

Lex

10. leer

I don't think I could .

11. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. I spent a little over four months in the US recently while my boyfriend stayed here, and I don't think I could do that permanently. Actually I know I couldn't. It was okay those four months, but.. no. I just need some physical contact as well.

12. Fiddledeedee

I met my boyfriend online, and we live about an hour and a half away from each other, though due to a few things we don't get to see each other often at all. It's working so far, though, though distances are a lot longer when you're young! I likely wouldn't do anything which required an airplane.

13. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i think i could probs do it

14. Kay

Kay Guest

Been there done that and would never try again.

15. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I wouldn't be able to do it.

16. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I have been in one, I don't think I'd do it again. It's so complicated and it's hard to keep up with. Then also, you only know the person as far as the internet goes, the person you talk to online, or video chat with is not the same person you see in person. I'm more of a person where I need to know the person is there with me, physically around. Where I know that any day, if I want to see them I can. I mean, to me, it's a different story if I'm dating someone, then they go on vacation or something, and I don't get to see them for a week or two, but I can't date someone who I never get to see. It was too challenging and I don't think it's right for me. I'd rather just meet someone in person and continue from there.

17. MidnightOwl

I am in a long distance relationship. We're finally going to see each other in February and see a movie together. I'm absolutely head over in love with my partner and they are someone special. Despite what some say about long distance relationships we have createda strong foundation of emotional love and support.

18. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Dude, I'm in one now! :grin: My girl doesnt come back until March so I have to rough it for a few months *sigh*. Most of my relationships have seemed to have been long distance actually! I'm getting quite good at them haha But it sucks not being able to see her everyday :frowning2:

19. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was in a long distant relationship when I was 16 up until the age of 18. We lived 2 hours between each other, which isn't so bad. But her full-time job and my school got in the way of us seeing each other as much as we would have liked. On average, we probably got to see each other about once every 2 months. She would come over on a Friday night and leave Sunday evening. It was worth it to me. We didn't mind it much since we planned on living together once I turned 18. We broke up because she started going back to church, and her religion is against same sex couples.

As for a long distant relationship out of state/country... I think I could do it. A lot of people can't do it because they need the physical connection more often. Don't get me wrong, my libido is very high. But I could deal with being in a long distant relationship as long as we made plans to finally meet later on and even live together at some point.

20. MerBear

well....i don't know...actually , a girl who i talked to online for 7 months just left me when i tried to work it out with her.
    turns out she didn't really want to be in a relationship me and probably didn't want to commit either

so.....maybe not...i guess depends...if the person truly loves me back...and honestly , i am done trusting someones word on if they love me or not , you prove it. i tried to prove to her , i loved her more than anything and was willing to drive to California to see her but when push came to shove , she didn't want to do the same for me...so she left.

it entirely depends on the person i guess