1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaydar?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheUglyBarnacle, Dec 31, 2012.

1. TheUglyBarnacle

Am I the only one who sucks at it? When it comes to gay guys I can tell pretty quickly most of the time. When it comes to girls though... I suck. Funny thing is I have a cousin whose gaydar when it comes to lesbians is so spot-on it's scary. I guess it's all about experience? She does live in a pretty gay-friendly area and she is friends with a bisexual chick and her girlfriend.

If there are any tips on how to improve it, I'll be glad. XD

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're not the only one. My gaydar is non-existent. Unless a guy walks up to me with a fauxhawk hairdo, skinny jeans, artificially high voice and talks about his boyfriend (which did happen, the guy's a caricature XD), I will probably not be able to tell.

3. Adarya

It seems as though I have amazing "gaydar" when it comes to gay men, but it's almost impossible for me to know when a female is gay or not, which sucks for me considering I'm a lesbian. I think it does somewhat come with experience, though. After a while I think that you learn about small things that might be indications of some sorts and I think that is how the whole "gaydar" works; not just knowing immediately that someone is gay or not, but seeing the indications and making an inference. That is also the reason why gaydar sometimes doesn't work in the first place because there could always be people that don't exactly fit the mold or could be really good at hiding it.

4. Kay

Kay Guest

Mine works very well. I think it's because I have learned to interpret the subtle signs. Hugs

5. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I have a brilliant gaydar when it comes to guys! Haha i find girls a bit harder to read but i seem to be able to pick bisexuals pretty easily for some reason! But id say my gaydar is pretty good! :grin:

6. jvn95

I have an excellent "gaydar".

I have not meet very many lesbians though so far. So no new yet on how the gaydar works on women for me.

7. Jonimarie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OMG - me too. I can never tell if a girl is into other girls. Well sometimes it's really obvious - but it is soooooo hard. Good I'm glad I am married and not on the scene anymore - it would suck to start trying to date again.

8. animequeen567

I have a decent gaydar. It's always right, but some people don't show up in my gaydar.

9. SunSparks

For guys - my gaydar is sneaky.... like some people it will just be like HE IS GAY!!! and then others, its give me anonymous subtle feeling.... I don't know its my gaydar until later when I figure out they are gay (from talking,etc.) and I'm just like OH! Thats what it was trying to tell me... but its always correct. However, its practically nonexistent when it comes to girls... I think it has to do with the fact that I know so few lesbians - just because thats just what it is, not because I avoid them xD

10. Suffocation

I can tell if you are gay no matter what.
    No stereotypes either. :slight_smile:

11. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My "gaydar" is really bad as well. I can never tell if someone is gay unless it's obvious.

12. Cinci

I don't have that much experience, but from what I've heard its mostly in a look or a smile. I might have had gaydar at some point since my first two crushes were not so straight, but I seem to have gone downhill from there so something more specific would be wonderful.

13. MidnightOwl

I have upgraded gaydar to queerdar, only because some people don't indentify with just gay. With that said. I don't have a very good gaydar or a queerdar.

14. photoguy93

Straight women have gay-dar. Gay men have lesbian dar. (Haha.. Funny term.)

But I have no gay-dar, at all. But my friends, who are mostly female, will always say "that guy was hitting on you" or stuff like that. I am always shocked (well, the two times it happens per year. Haha.)

And then it's even harder because of the stupid metrosexual phase. I want everyone to be free and not Hid under gender roles....but I hate it. It's so hard to tell!

15. Salazar

I have shite gaydar. If a guy were to lick my face and tell me he were gay, it might be three weeks before I start suspecting that something's wrong!

16. barca

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't understand how to judge my accuracy on this! There are people I've suspected were gay, but that's where it ends. I never confirm one way or the other.

I like to think that I'm pretty good at observing people so I feel like I should be good at something like this, but I just don't see how to know if I'm right :eusa_doh:

17. shadowregent

Out Status:
    A few people
    That's the exact same situation I find myself in. With guys at school I have a list of 'unsubs' but I can't know for sure whether they are or not. Considering how big my list is I can't help but wonder if maybe a few of those people are in there just because I hope they are. Still, when I used to watch Gay, Straight, or Taken (those were dark times) I could figure it out every time just by watching the way they walked, before they were introduced or anything, I. was. awesome.

18. leer

its hit & miss for me at times am bang on other times am miles away

19. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :roflmao: Or that something's very right! :wink:

I have a bad gaydar. In fact, I'm romantically retarded. I can't even tell if straight guys are checking me out even though my family always tells me when they are. I never really assume anyone looks at me like that... or that they have gay inclinations maybe that they're just naturally flirty or friendly... :confused: I haven't really been exposed to many LGBTQ members in person besides two friends I don't really talk to (due to distance) so that may be partially why...

I used to be overly friendly with everyone, but stopped when my friend told me people consider that flirting.

And with women... oh my goodness... I've never got a clue! They're much harder to peg, though I think one of my friends may be bi.... but it seems like she's been making that pretty obvious without saying it... Then again I have terrible gaydar so who knows! :lol:

20. SarcastiSinger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The secret for kind of determining a persons sexuality is all in their eyes. Guys usually look at certain *ahem* body parts in the gender they like. But the way that works best on all of them is to look at their eyes when they talk with people of both genders. When they like someone they tend to give a certain gaze that tells you right away. The only way I can describe the look is by saying that it is like every emotion related to love mixed into one. There really is no other look like it, you just kind of know that's who they like.