1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

seasonal affective disorder

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lexi, Dec 31, 2012.

1. lexi

lexi Guest

Does anybody else here have seasonal affective disorder? It's genetic in my family :frowning2:
    Do you do anything about it? I have one of those fancy light things and it actually helps :slight_smile:

2. FJ Cruiser

I think I have it since I start getting depressed if there are many cloudy days in a row. However, I've always lived in sunny climates, so it might just be matter of acclimation. If it gets to where there's a string of cloudy days, I either try to spend time in fluorescent lighting or embrace it, hanging out at coffee shops or holing myself up in my room with warm lighting and spacey music.

3. starmarie

starmarie Guest

I do. I've gone to counseling and was on medication, but I'm not anymore (side effects) so now I'm just trying to be really healthy. :slight_smile: Well, that's my new year's resolution. :slight_smile:

4. Brenny

I don't know that I do but winter has always been a depressing time of year for me. Actually... Just about every time that seasons change, I feel like I get depressed for a few weeks. Especially summer/fall and winter/spring.

5. Chimera

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, and I get it really bad. Right now I'm experimenting with a full spectrum bulb to see how well I tolerate bright light therapy, and am looking at investing in a SAD lamp soon.

If I could afford it, I would totally be a snowbird (travel south for the winter).

6. Lewis

During January/February, I get really depressed. Not sure why, but I do.

7. BudderMC

I'm not sure if I do or not, but I do usually feel more 'down' when the sun is gone.

8. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Yes, I've also got SAD... I see my therapist weekly and I haven't been put on any medication for it, I don't think I'll have to honestly... I have my ways of dealing with depressed feelings.

9. Emberstone

I am oregonian, and I get it, but I get the oregon version, which is depression from too many days without rain. rain is my normal, and doesnt phase me, but when we go 3-4 weeks without rain, I really do miss it.

10. Deaf Not Blind

Not me...rain lack is fine! I prefer sunshine even on cold days.
    But i think my sadness is from dealing with queerness and decisions abt my future to use T or not, and not one friend has seen me since i flew home...plus mom pissed me off for not wanting me to make any holiday goodies. Why did i fucking fly home to grey skies and no fun?

11. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

I do. I even got a blood test to show that my vitamin D levels were too low. I take vitamin D every morning, and sometimes borrow my mom's light. It's genetic in our family, so we both have it.

12. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

Yeah it sucks. I don't like 4 straight months of darkness and rare sunny days. It kills my motivation. I live in one of the most overcast cities in America due to its dreary winters. Summers are nice though.