1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How gay-friendly is the place where you live?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Salazar, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Salazar

I found this article, and it got me thinking, how gay-friendly, or indeed trans-friendly, is your hometown? Even if you're not out, how is the LGBT community perceived?

In London, as far as I can tell, normal people really don't care. I guess it's all I could hope for. As for as I've I'm aware there is also a gay nightlife but I've got another 7 months until I can do that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Also gay marriage is in the pipelines, yay for us. I think it really is the easiest place in the world to be gay.

2. GirlNextDoor

GirlNextDoor Guest

Actually, it's the same where I live. People tend to be pretty accepting...

3. Bolin

I live in a small, highly-religious and conservative town in South Carolina....so, a lot of people down here view being gay as being a sin and don't really react well to gay people. The gay "community" down here is nearly nonexistent.

4. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Time to move to London! Lol.

But apparently my city is pretty gay friendly. I saw a local news report where it was found the 3rd most "tolerant" in the country.

5. IanGallagher

The gay bars are relatively quiet and small here. I've seen a couple out lgbt guys around which was cool. However, at school I was fun of for being gay - there was no way they could have known. At work, mostly with 30+ there's a lot of homophobic comments making me fear speaking up about it. And one girl I almost started something with abruptly ended when she started in a really bad homophobic rant. That said, I did go out with one guy once here and no one seemed to care - this was around the college part of town though. But, still doesn't seem like a lot.

HOWEVER moving to NYC soon so that should be really fun. Looking online, a lot are in open relationships, there's a lot more open bi guys than there are here (just going off of online presence, again - here I think I'm just one of ten my age last I looked), and I wouldn't be that nervous.

6. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

My school is an overwhelmingly accepting place. (or at least my grade and all my teachers are) AS for the rest of my community I'm not so sure. Before the elections I had to pass 2 vote yes for gay marriage ban yard signs on my way back and forth to school every day. Nobody's directly given me trouble about being gay yet though.

7. Salazar

I go to a Catholic school, but because it's illegal for the school to hire exclusively Catholic teachers, you can tell that the majority don't believe in god or aren't Catholics. I know of one gay teacher, he's a pretty nice guy, and obviously no one gives him shit for being gay. As far as gay pupils go, I know of one in the year below, but I don't actually know him. He's looks pretty stereotypical, but as far as I know, no one cares. Also, my friends said they admire gays who come out early. I'm pretty sure it was a hint :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. A mix of 'gay peoople r stupid kill them all!" and, "Yay@GayPride weee!!!!"...

9. darlig ulv

I live in NYC, besides for Westboro Baptist Church pickets, I've never really seen anything. Lots of gay couples though, makes me feel lonely...

10. I never seen a Westboro picket in NYC :confused: Maybe because I'm younger?

11. FishMan27

Whenever I walked my dog during the election season, I had to pass by my town's Catholic Diocese and see one of those signs. My town's pretty homophobic as far as I can tell. My county did have a 75% "Yes" vote on the ballot measure.

Luckily, my friends are really cool with it. There are still plenty of closed-minded bigots who roamed the halls in their "One Man, One Woman" shirts. Gag!:eusa_naug

12. Adarya

My school at the moment definitely isn't too accepting- probably since it's a middle school and all- but the teachers are more accepting than I thought they would be, but that's probably just because they're teachers. I've come out to about half of my teachers and a few counselors, but I have yet to come out to any of the student body. There are some students that are just downright homophobic and rude and it's hard to keep silent when they let their mouths rattle on and on about things they barely know anything about. Also, if I were to come out, it would spread like wildfire in my school, since gays and those not straight are constantly picked on where I am. I think the High School is a little bit more accepting, but it's not exactly the best either, from what I've heard. I think it would probably be better if I lived a bit closer to the Twin Cities, or even in the Twin Cities, because I've heard that it's actually one of the more gay-friendly cities in the United States.

#12 Adarya, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  13. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

Not very, but that's life, they can seethe.

14. BENDERBOY

BENDERBOY Guest

Pretty good, i don't pay no mind. tbqh.

15. redstormrising

i live in the NYC area (and work in manhattan). no problems to report here. my partner and i are completely open and affectionate in public. the only comment anyone has ever made to us was to remark at how cute we are together

16. SunSparks

Lol, I just have to point out... it says you are 17 and darlig is 14...

Anyways, living in upstate NY in a large university rated as one of the most LGBT friendly universities and in one of the most LGBT friendly towns is really great. Marriage is granted in NY. You never get people looking at you weird because its normal to them. The people are really accepting and you see even straight supporters wearing a rainbow badge on their backpack or otherwise. I couldn't ask for more.

17. jvn95

I wish I lived somewhere that didn't shun the LGBT community.

I live in the panhandle of Texas. Very Super Baptist and Conservative. I hear talk of "homos" and "queers" at my school all the time. Though one of our high schools is trying to petition to get a GSA. The principal won't have it though unless sponsored by a teacher.

No teacher for the past 3 years(when the GSA idea was started)wants to sponsor the GSA.

18. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I live in Louisiana.
    But it's not so bad, basically all the kids don't care, the ones that do are the people that go nowhere in life. The gay-life is nonexistent.

19. ameliawesome

i think it's pretty gay friendly here. i know a lot of gay people who were out in high school and no one bothered them (none that i'd heard about anyway). of course there are always some assholes anywhere, but in general this isn't a place where you have to feel scared about being gay. and asbury park has an awesome gay scene.

20. redstormrising

i love asbury park. i was just there a couple weeks ago, sad to see parts of the boardwalk torn out by sandy