1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you used to think

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by justgowithit, Dec 31, 2012.

1. justgowithit

About LGBT stuff. About your own orientation. When did you find out what LGBT was? What were your reactions? Here were mine:

Conversation with my Dad when I was 5:
    Me: Daddy, can two boys get married?
    Dad: In Massachusetts or California.
    Me: What about two girls?
    Dad: Same thing.
    Me: That's weird!
    Dad:....

That's when I first touched on the issue, however unknowingly. Next was when I saw Chris Colfer on an award show making a speech at age 8ish.

Me: Is that guy a girl? His voice is so girly! Is he a girl in disguise?
    Dad: I could believe it...

I'm not really sure when I found out what all that stuff was exactly, but I guess it was when I was in fourth or fifth grade. Back then I thought it was weird.

I used to think I could only be straight or bisexual, but now I think I could be straight, bisexual, or lesbian. It's confusing. I'm still working it out. So many of my views have changed. Everything has changed.

2. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel like I've always been pretty comfortable with the thought that people are gay, or otherwise not 'straight'. Maybe that's because I had my first sexual experience with my same-sex childhood friend, and had bi friends in middle school. So I never thought LGBT stuff was strange or anything. But I was still generally unaware of many LGBT things until I began really questioning my own sexuality, which started in earnest about three years ago. Ever since then, I've been going back and forth and slowly figuring out what suits me best. That's why these forums are so helpful, it keeps you updated with people who are going through some of the same things.

The first time I heard about anyone being gay was when my mom would casually talk about having a lesbian friend when she was in the military back in the day. She didn't make a big deal out of it, but just mentioned that she was lesbian as part of the story, and so I thought, "Oh, okay, some people were open about it back then." I also opened up to it more when I accidentally 'found out' something about my older brother (he doesn't know that I know this), who I think might be bisexual. I think my mother has always been fairly okay with gays, although she has told me before that she believes it's wrong according to her faith. This is why I'm still debating about telling her soon, since that's one of the big stumbling blocks. We're close, and I don't want her to see or treat me differently if I do tell her. A part of me feels like that's inevitable, though, especially if you've seen a person a certain way for most of your life. But I agree, a lot of my views have changed too, and my acceptance for different people has grown wider, which can never really be a bad thing. :slight_smile:

3. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I used to be dreadfully homophobic as a kid! I would start debates as to why gays were so evil and I would bible bash these poor people. I think God then decided to give me a taste of my own medicine and ta-dah - He turned me gay! Haha Ironic isnt it?! :grin:

4. unsuspecting

I used to believe everyone deserved the same rights (marriage equality), but i also believed bashing gays was ok :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I guess it was just the way i grew up.

5. hmph

hmph Guest

my dad is a pretty vulgar guy and has brought me up exposed to drugs, sex, rock n roll sorta thing. he'd make gay jokes, religion jokes, etc, so i pretty much knew about everything. but upon those jokes he'd give mini speeches saying, "hey if two guys wanna do it then what the hell. i want me some poonani, they want them some dick, no big deal."

so i've always been accepting. and when i first hit puberty, pretty much accepted some sort of same sex attraction.
    trans however wasnt something i was ever exposed to much, but i knew about it. i remember once using the word "sheman" to an older friend and he corrected me. didnt know the implications of what i had said. over time i began to feel gender dysphoria, but didnt know what the name of the feeling was, and that i was feeling it. i just felt like poop and didnt know why.

i came out to myself after breaking up with my exgirlfriend, and came out a little to her. (i was desperate to win her back, i spilled a lot to her that just made things worse) but after she began to hate me, i recoiled back into my girl self. i had bought some boyish clothes and styled my hair like a boy, but that all went to waste.

now, though, im a little more in touch with myself, and more aware of the gender spectrum. after my ex i was haste to be a boy because i was acting irrational, and didnt know i could be something in between.

6. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i was really homophobic 'cuz all my friends were :x.

7. FollowtheFreeman

I grew up in a very open-minded family setting so for as long as I can remember I've always supported gay-rights. I never thought about bisexuality and I hadn't even heard of pansexuality until I was older.

8. TheUglyBarnacle

I've always been an avid supporter of the LGBTQ community. And I mean it when I say avid. That's probably why the thought that I have somehow convinced myself won't ever leave my head.

9. I was raised in my grandparent's care (whom are christian, as well) and used to talk about gay people didn't have rights like heterosexual people. They started shedding some information on their LGBT opinions when Adam Lambert was on American Idol. It taugh me to think being gay was abnormal. Until I knew what being gay actually meant.

#9 BubbleGumNinja, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2013
  10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to think it was strange. Not quite unnatural, but definitely flouting what people think of as "normal". I never really hated gayness, but then, as can be assumed, I came around to the idea and eventually had a fully positive view of it.

EDIT: ^^Lol BoiGeorge that's pretty hilarious. Glad you have such a great sense of irony about it. :grin:

#10 Argentwing, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to think that LGBT people were a community, and that we had solidarity as a people. :roflmao:

12. Kay

Kay Guest

I was confused because i did not respond to guys in the same way other girls I knew did. They would talk about this guys muscles and how they wanted to date some other guy. I listened to date stories thinking I wanted to be with the girl I was speaking with. Only after I discovered some girls liked girls did the bulb go on.

13. leer

when I was allot younger I thought all gay people were just some people who are on tv

14. Krissy

As a child, I'd never witnessed any PDA of any LGBT couples. However, ever since I was young I've exhibited signs of my sexuality. I'd always be interested in the most feminine guys, pressured by my friends. Also, I'd develop creepy "admirations" for certain females.

Looking back at them they were childhood crushes. Weird, yeah.

15. bwhopper

bwhopper Guest

I used to be afraid of gay people. I used to think my own feelings were a passing phase and that I would grow out of it, therefore, not worth exploring. When guys came on to me I rejected them and said I wasn't gay. I was wrong all along. I should have explored my true feelings and reactions to men much earlier. I didn't put all the pieces together until way late in life and everyone knows when they know without any doubt and no matter what you want or what people think, being gay will not go away and it will not change. Now I wonder what I was thinking when it was all so obvious about what turned me on all along, probably since I was 7 or 8. Now, I am happy for people who are out and really respect living an open and honest life. Totally support gay marriage. I think there a a lot of gay people in the closet or in heterosexual marriages that may never be out. Hopefully this will change in one generation.

16. justgowithit

Wow. Everyone has come so far

17. Throwawayy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I used to think LGBT people were weird because I was taught by society to associate them with the "outcast, 'weird'" characters in media and in life. Then I gradually learned that sexual orientation has no bearing on personality and that media exaggerates things. That's why I didn't think I was gay until around middle school because "I'm not weird, so I must not be gay!"

Then I believe it was the 7th grade when I watched a youtube video specifically about gays (I think it was the WhatTheBuckShow) and I realized that being gay was not a problem.

Then I was like "oh. no wonder I find guys attractive, I'm gay, not 'weird!'"

18. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

This is exactly how I felt. Growing up, I've never really gone boy crazy, I remember in grade 4 I pretended to like a boy because every single girl I knew liked that boy as well.

I also thought that everyone got crushes on people of the same sex and that it was something everybody has gone through, I always just thought I was straight but I liked girls. I guess that was the denial talking. I didn't fully realize I was a lesbian until the early part of 2012, then came out shortly after that.

19. ORly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was in this boat. I was all for freedom to do what you want and equal rights, but I still was a terrible bully.

20. OtakuCrazed

I thought LGBT was okay, actually, thanks to my awesome family.
    When I was younger, I was selling Girl Scout Cookies in front of a grocery store by myself, when a transgender (MtF) walked up to my booth to buy cookies. I was a little confused, considering I was only 8, but she was really nice to me. That was my first encounter with the LGBT community.