1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is more common?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jsmurf, Jan 3, 2013.

?

Which is more common?

1. Lesbians with straight female friends

25 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. Gay guys with straight male friends

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. jsmurf

Lesbians having a bunch of straight female friends?

Gay guys having a bunch of straight male friends?

What reasons, besides the obvious culturally-ingrained ones?

2. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Ive found that lesbians have more straight female friends than gay guys that have straight male friends. I think because women are naturally more social, they can blend into more friendship circles. Just a guess

3. Given To Fly

I have lots of straight male friends. I also have a handful of straight female friends, and some gay male friends. I don't really know any lesbians though, so I can't really speak on their behalf.

4. timo

My group of friends is 50/50 male/female. They're all straight, I don't have any gay friends (yeah life sux).

I do know some other gay guys though, and they seem to have more female friends, while the lesbian girls I know have more male friends. It's a strange world.

5. PatyR

I think lesbians have more female friends. I'm not sure why, and I don't like to generalize but it's far more common (as far as I've seen).

6. Kay

Kay Guest

Lesbians have more straight friends. I think a lot of straight guys are afraid of what people think if they hang around with a gay guy. IMO

7. jsmurf

Truth.

8. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

Mine is about half and half not many gay friends though

9. FJ Cruiser

It's probably a subconscious reaction on my part, but I'm not good friends with many girls even though they have a tendency to gravitate toward me because of the niceguy vibe I give off. In high school, my friends were gender balanced if not leaning toward more girls, but now I hang around mostly guys. I kinda made an effort to balance things this semester, and I've done a decent job.

Anyway, I'd say that lesbians are more likely to have straight female friends than gay guys with straight males. Like Kay said, a girl's straightness isn't questioned nearly as much when they hang around lesbians. They already talk about how pretty they are to each other and show lots of friendly affection haha.

10. leer

bit of both I have straight friends M&F as well as gay friends

11. hello1992

I literally have no idea, i don't i have even give an educated guess. But from my experience,i would say gay guys have more gay friends. They tend to socialize more in the LGBT group and go to gay bard together at my uni...

12. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

If I had to guess, I would say lesbians and other queer girls with straight female friends, but that's just based on what my culture tells me about male and female friendships. The three people I consider friends are all straight women, but my wider circle of partial friends is almost entirely male.

13. jsmurf

14. mickjagger

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am half-half. But honestly, I am most comfortable and closest to my female friends.

15. Alexander69

Straight men are misinformed about homosexuality be it ignorance or just that they are oblivious to homosexuality. You will hear straight men talk about gay men joke about gay men make fun of gay men all the time. Think we are going to rape them some hoe violate them because we are gay? These are some of the reasons I can't stand straight men I would rather shoot my feet off then befriend a straight guy unless he was supportive of gay people then it wouldn't happen. I can't stand the conversations that straight men have always talking about Girls and sex ad sports I really don't give a shit about that stuff. There is nothing besides my sex that I have In common with straight men...... I'm not going to say all straight men are like this because they are not its like saying all gay men are feminine but certainly a majority of straight men are like this and it's the reasons I have no male friends.

16. IrisM

I'm a lot more friendly and open around other women than I am around guys myself. I really don't like aggressive people, and I'm very timid. This isn't to say I can't be friends with guys but I'm a lot more wary and guarded around them than I am around women.

From what I've seen women tend to be more accepting of lesbians than guys are of gay men although still not completely accepting. Men on the other hand, many of them are very aggressive and vitriolic toward one another at even the slight hint that someone isn't straight, are very standoffish, and very intolerant. This isn't always the case mind you, I've met some very kind empathetic men and some very cruel aggressive women.

17. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I say lesbians with straight female friends. Guys generally want to maintain their reputation and be as manly as possible. They usually feel like hanging out with gay guys would wreck there reputation, or possibly diminish their manliness. I find the case different for straight girls because girls are already used to being close to one another, and they're more playful about things. Most straight guys usually fear what others would think of them if they were around gay guys. Also, I think it's more because, when a guy is gay, there's more of a chance you can physically see it, and straight guys may see that as a threat to themselves because everyone's going to look at them, then look at who they hang out with. When a girl is lesbian, it's not as easy to tell, unless they follow the specific stereotypical lesbian look. Gay guys most of the time, not all the time, do fit their stereotype, hence the reason why straight guys usually don't hang around them. You can almost always spot out a gay guy in a group of straight guys, and that's why I think that they're not as likely to be caught together. However, if there was a lesbian girl in a group of straight girls, there's not as many physical factors that you can observe to figure that out.

18. Harve

I'd say the same for the same reasons, although I think any discrepancies are being eradicated as straight men realise that hanging around gay guys won't 'wreck their reputation' or whatever (I kinda get what you mean).

I don't know many lesbians at all, but I'd say they adhere to the lesbian stereotype less so than gay men adhere to the gay men stereotype. That could be a factor.