1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's build a community list!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Adelaida, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Adelaida

It was recently pointed out to me that one of my biggest struggles with being gay might be that I haven't had the opportunity to enjoy any of the good things about it yet (i.e., I'm not in a relationship and I don't really have any LGBT friends, etc). So I thought I would bring it to you fine people to help me out!

What are some of your favorite things or the good things you have experienced as a result of being LGBT? Let's make a community list out of it!

Mine are (so far):

1. Being more at ease with myself since coming out (to myself)
    2. Finding EC and some good online friends!
    3. Actually acknowledging that I'm attracted to women and being able to enjoy it
    4. Learning to be okay with being vulnerable with people I trust (i.e., coming out to them)

What are yours?

2. redstormrising

never having to worry about accidentally getting pregnant!

3. Harve

What are some of your favorite things or the good things you have experienced as a result of being LGBT?

1. Cock.

Subtle.

4. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I am much more open minded and accepting of people who are different

I appreciate diversity more

Its allowed me to mature faster than many of my peers

Ive hit rock bottom and now know that i can pull through anything

I see the world differently and can appreciate things

Ive met some great new friends through the LGBTI community

Ive learned to be myself no matter what people think

5. Deaf Not Blind

i can put myself into the shoes of most any type Queer and hear how they hear stuff against gays. i think i can use that to explain to Christians of all types i know how their words mean love and benevolence but actually are heard as hate and judging. I know not all mean to come off that way, so it could spare a lot of heart ache if i can word it right.

6. IrisM

1: I feel more at peace and centered.

2: That warm and fuzzy feeling when a cis female treats me like one of the girls.

3: I've stopped trying to be something I'm not.

4: I'm learning to design my own outfits.

5: I Curated TwkLGBTQ on Twitter for a time, which let me meet lots of wonderful people, share my story and help people feel better about living with being LGBT.

6: I take care of myself a lot more, I'm quite trim, and I have hope for once in my life.

7. OtakuCrazed

1. I learned a lot about myself, and other people (and am still learning!).

2. I see the world differently.

3. The LGBT community is much kinder to me than the non-LGBT one, and so now I feel like I can belong somewhere.

4. I'm a lot more tolerant of other people's differences.

8. Chickenlover

...trees and rocks and rocks and trees and WATER!
    I have had to trust people with my secrets, which was hard because I don't trust easily

After denying any sort of sexual attraction to anyone for years, I can relax and start to enjoy it.

I have a better understanding of the "hidden side" of things, like the whole LGBT community that I wasn't even aware of until I became part of it.

I am more understanding of people's emotions, after having gone through a lot of inner turmoil while keeping up the act of being perfectly happy and at ease with myself.

I understand myself better.

I understand heterosexuals better. Before I realised who I was, I didn't understand their choices. I do now.

I've had to reach out. I NEVER would have joined EC if I hadn't been desperate.

I have a better understanding of how much hate is in the world, and also how much kindness.

I have a better understanding of how much pain people can go through in their lifetimes.

I'm more accepting of those who are different.

I have learned the importance of human friends. (Cats and trees just aren't enough :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

9. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1. More accepting of the diversity that makes the world beautiful.
    2. Funny gay people on Youtube, worse time-suck than tumblr but worth it.
    3. A better sense of self, although I still feel like I'm a maze and I only have a eye-level view of myself.
    4. Another thing on a short list of ways I can relate to people.

10. animequeen567

1. Awesome, understanding, and helpful people on EC. :grin:
    2. Diversity
    3. I know myself more, and can put myself in other people's shoes.

11. regime

regime Guest

1. No fear of Judgement
    2. Tolerance for others
    3. I have noticed that others feel sometimes the exact same way as myself..so im not so alone.
    4. I can say i like 1D and Justin Bieber without fearing crucifixion. Lol
    5. Hopefully i can make friends here as well.

12. Hexagon

Being trans may or may not be responsible for my veganism, my left wing political views and my human rights advocacy. I really can't tell.

13. madi

My knowledge of different sexual and romantic orientations that many non-lgbtq people are not aware of. I feel I am more accepting that I would be if I were straight. Finding EC to talk to other people and get/give advice even on things not related to being lgbtq. Being part of my schools GSA :slight_smile:

14. SomeNights

I feel like I'm not constantly lying anymore.
    I went to a gay club!
    Met a few really cool people
    started thinking about coming out to my mom

15. timo

When around people I'm out to I don't have to worry about my behaviour or my blatant staring at a good looking guy.
    EC is awesome.
    I opened up to myself and actually allow myself to crush on other guys. Even though most of them are straight.

...Yeah. That's it. Don't go gay kids, it's not as spectacular as they say.

:lol:

16. hello1992

um, i only consider myself being part of the lgbt community once i had joined ec, no one else knows i am gay except you guys and i have never had any gay experiences, so i guess ec first helpedme to go from being gay to be part of thw community. It has allowed me to understand myself better and made me feel less alone in this. I find it a place to vent and get advice. Its a good place to go i am upset about something or just feel alone. I feel i can speak my mind without fear of being judged.

17. PinkTractor

1. It has given me an understanding of what minorities can experience out in the world, something that life as a straight woman never taught me. Having felt the hatred of total strangers, I now am much more aware of my own tendencies to judge others without the right to do so.

2. It has taught me that there are many more people doing many more things in their personal lives than I ever dreamt of, and that my own needs and desires are nothing to be afraid of--I'm actually very mainstream!

3. It has shown me that my skills in the bedroom go beyond the gender of the person I am with. It may sound odd but I take great pride in knowing that I *could* be with almost anyone now, and make a decent showing for myself.

4. Being bisexual allowed me to be in love with the most amazing girl in the world, and have her love me in return.

5. Meeting a bunch of great new people here at EC, and feeling that I am no only a part of something, but am welcome, and accepted as a bisexual woman. Being in the closet in my real life, the openness here means a great deal.

6. Learning that relationships really can be different in terms of power dynamics, and although they can be so different, they are also in ways the same. Just learning new things in general.

7. Realizing that being bisexual means always having to choose--that when you truly want both male and female lovers, something has to give. Learning that bisexuals are viewed as something not necessarily good by all communities, gay and straight. It may not sound like a good thing, but it's good to know where you stand. :slight_smile:

18. Given To Fly

I have a social life for the first time in years

I'm more confident

I'm much happier

I've found a great bunch of people here on EC

I've learned to understand Trans guys and girls - this site has opened my eyes

I've learned a heck of a lot about myself

19. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    1. not being boring like str8 ppl

20. ButterflyMay

I've had alot of trouble accepting certian things about myself, believe it or not being gay was an easy thing to accept compared to some other shit. Coming out even just to myself showed me how great it can feel to stop fighting who I am.