1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe Internet dating?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gggualigeee, Jan 4, 2013.

1. gggualigeee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I once met a guy online. We decided to meet up.
    When we met, the feeling towards him is quite different from that I saw on his profile online.
    I maybe add some imaginations on this person before meeting him.
    It is embarrassing to express the feelings that that person is not my type later.
    :icon_sad:
    However, in the place where I was born and raised, gay is not accepted.
    The only way to find gay is through internet.
    I wonder how people from more gay - friendly place think of this.:help:

2. Lewis

Not sure on my opinion really. I guess I'd have to experience it first. They'd have to impress me a lot to get me to meet them...I'm a little paranoid about meet-ups, imagine they were some gay-basher or murderer!

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My sample size so far is n = 3. So I'm not going to pass judgment on it yet. So far it hasn't been super...

If I lived in a bigger city, maybe I'd have better luck doing things the normal way. However, I have terrible gaydar, and I live in a small town, so there's not too many choices.

4. fulcrum

Ive met a few people from dating sites and I must say, its not for everyone. Im by no means an expert, though. It depends on what you looking for. Some of the guys Ive met Ive actually become friends with. Others I just completely ignored after meeting them. But there are those times when the meetup is just dissappointing. Thats just part in parcel what happens when you meet people online. Just remember, its easy to lie about yourself online...

5. Kay

Kay Guest

If I were forced to try it would feel rather strange.

6. FruitFly

Two lovely friends of mine met on an internet dating site two years ago, and now they're engaged and live in a lovely house with lovely dogs. Which, if you replace dogs with cats, is pretty much my ideal outcome for any relationship :wink:. Well, I have known quite a few romances from internet dating sites which have blossomed into amazing relationships, but I have also known quite a few whose experiences were pretty lacklustre. To me it seems like it's just another way of finding someone, and because it's pretty much just like meeting someone off of the internet (only with the handy little bio to guide you) there's a chance that the person you were interested in when speaking to them in one context would no longer be as appealing elsewhere.

With internet dating it really does seem to be a case of try, try and try again until you find someone who interests you on paper, in the flesh and also maintains their interest in you. Nothing wrong with it, but caution needs to be applied as it would off of the internet. If something sounds fishy, it probably is. If something makes you uncomfortable, go with your gut instinct and exit the situation. If the first/second/third person you meet does nothing for you in the flesh, you try again.

With that said I am not exactly keen on internet dating. Or rather the prospect of finding photographs, filling out a bio and then going through the whole online process. I tried it once, and it just was not something I felt comfortable doing.

7. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Been there. Done that. Wouldnt recommend it unless you both can meet eachother ASAP. Otherwise things get confusing.

8. MerBear

like george said. been there , done that. i got hurt when i tried to make it work with her. in the end she left. she didn't want to commit...and the feeling im feeling right now , is envy ...im so mad at her for leaving but its only cause i want her back ...

you can try if you want but don't trust them completely. worst thing you can do for me...but then again , i decided to give her all the trust i locked up inside...and therefore , got hurt pretty badly when she lied.

sorry , being pessimistic ....just do what feels right to you.

9. Diamond121

Diamond121 Guest

Well,i cn't say cos i have never exprienced it. What i can say is dat,it can be possible when you love the person so dearly. It can work itself out.

10. prism

I've never lived in places where dating would be difficult, so it's hard for me to say. I personally would not date online because I would create unreal expectations of that person in my mind.

11. IrisM

I would date online, but partly that is because my options are closed until my transition/feminizations and correction surgery is done. This isn't to say nobody would date me as I am now, because I've never tried, but because I want to have the person who loves me see me as I see myself.

12. BudderMC

To add onto this, studies show that communicating online before meeting in person for a period of longer than 6 weeks generally builds up unrealistic expectations of said person.

13. aeva

I belonged to trevorspace (social networking site for LGBT youth run by the Trevor Project), and met my ex girlfriend through that. We only ended up dating for a month or two though, although that was because she went back to her ex.

I know quite a few people that have met and had successful relationships (including marriage) through online dating though.

My main advice would be: safety first! Make sure a friend knows where you're going, make sure you have a cell phone on you, meet in a public, well-lit area first, etc.

14. redstormrising

I can relate to that. There was only once that I agreed to wait about that long to meet someone. We skyped almost daily, texted daily, and talked on the phone in the meantime. We both thought we would be so great for each other, but when we finally met in person, there was no chemistry at all. From my experience, if you don't meet by about the 2-week mark, you're wasting your time. That said, my partner and I met on a dating website. We had our first in-person date about a week and a half after the first online communication, and we've been together ever since (and plan to remain that way!).

15. Bolin

Yes, I do believe in internet dating, but I also believe that the two people should meet soon after the initial meetup online. Or if you're in a long-distance online relationship, you should maybe video chat so you can have some sense of what the person's like since it might be awhile before you two can meet in person.

16. Colours

I've done internet dating with a guy three years ago. We've never met each other in person, which is odd looking back at it. Though we had made plans to meet up, we broke up before it happened.

Meeting up was complicated because he was from the UK, whereas I'm from the Netherlands.
    It was very complicated as a whole too, I was way too unsure of my orientation and how I was going to make him be able to stay over (because parents).