1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When out in public...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Fate, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Fate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, how to put this.....

I often go out with friends or my brothers, we may go to the movies, a restaurant, bowling, etc...
    Today, for example, my brother and I went to applebee's for lunch/dinner...
    The waitress leads you to the table and takes your order...
    Well, while leading us to our table she asked; "how are you gentlemen doing today?"

Now I guess you could consider me a "butch" or "cross-dresser?"
    I wear guy clothes because I like the style and comfort and come off as pretty masculine most of the time. Recently more and more people have addressed me as such and family/friends are beginning to notice, they know I am "guyish" but think that it's a "stupid mistake because I am obviously a female."

So curiosity question, has this happened to any of you? How do you react?

For me I usually just grin in the background and shrug it off because I know my looks may be deceiving and they don't mean offence. Sometimes I correct them but not too often. I am quite content with the way I look besides the few pounds I am working on loosing so what they think isn't usually important to me...

2. Zakky

Well yes I have been called a girl before because most of my friends are girls and I always hang out with them. :slight_smile: The people that have called me a girl usually notice a while after because im not particuallarly girlish in looks but i suppose a little in how i act. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I just laugh it off although its embarassing as well cuz my friends kinda tease me. But i dont mind all that much :grin:

3. SunSparks

Yea! This reminds me, it was like end of Nov during the black friday sale at the mall and I was waiting outside for someone... I was facing toward the parking lot and a kid with his mom leaving the store behind me asked his mom "what is she doing, mom?" and the mom replies "she's just waiting for someone"... I WAS wearing purple pants and with my long hear, I can definitely see why they thought that from behind... the funny part was once they passed me, the boy turned around and looked really confused because my face was totally not girl like...

however, I haven't been mistaken for a girl because my face is waay to manish for a girl... however, you just need to remember that they dont mean to hurt you, its just what they seemed to have come up

4. MidnightOwl

Well be lucky you're addressed as anything. I'm Pansexual and view myself as Unisex. So I rather not be addressed by gender at all. And would much prefer "have a nice day" over "have a nice day ma'am". No thank you.

5. Fate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @midnight
    I can't even imagine what it would be like to be unisex and in the public..... wow

@SunSparks
    I know they don't mean harm, it's just awkward sometimes >.<

@zakky
    lol :slight_smile:

6. Fumi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It hasn't happened to me, but my dad is a very distracted person and he's always calling guys "señorita" (lady in Spanish) or girls "joven" (young man). Most people don't seem to mind nor care though.

#6 Fumi, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  7. Adarya

When I was younger I had far shorter hair, was friends with all the males in my grade, and most of the time I wasn't exactly "girly". I was called a boy many times, and I never really minded. My parents never reacted much either when I was called a male because they saw how I didn't mind at all and they realized that I was definitely a tomboy.

Now, you can tell that I am a female because I've grown out my hair and I do particularly like showing off my cleavage, but sometimes my sister still says that she has a brother instead of a sister, which I actually like. My cousin also says that he has a male cousin when he talks about me sometimes; he once told his friends that his male cousin was coming over and they looked sort of confused when I walked in XD

8. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Customer service people always call me ma'am. Grrr…

9. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

When I was younger I was a huge tomboy and would sometimes get mistaken for being a boy because I had short hair, and i used to hate it.

I just recently cut my hair really short again, and I like to wear masculine/androgynous clothing but haven't been called "sir" yet. People always seem to be able to tell!

10. TheUglyBarnacle

I get confused for a boy a lot. That's exactly what I do, too.

11. CTJ

CTJ

I once went on a man-date with my mate, we went for a curry, a pint and then to the cinema because we had nothing else to do that night. At this particular restaurant, the waiters always give the ladies a rose and shake the gentlemans hand while thanking them for coming (its a really nice gesture), they shook my hand and gave my friend a rose. When my friend looked up all confused at the waiter, the rose was quickly taken back and the waiter couldn't be more apologetic. I'm pretty sure we got free drinks for it :slight_smile:, even though i took the piss out of my friend for it, we mostly felt bad for the waiter :/

12. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I am absolutely flattered when people think im a guy! It makes my day

13. Ianthe

This doesn't happen to me, and I'm frequently astonished when it happens to other people. I'm like, are you blind??

But maybe I'm just more aware of the butchy types, on account of them being the primary group I'm attracted to.

Even when I was young, sometimes there would be a girl dressed as a boy on a TV show or something, and I guess other people just couldn't tell. At the time, I thought you were just supposed to pretend not to notice...

To me, they just really stand out, you know, in a good way...

14. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    My younger sister was tomboyish growing up and around 11 was wearing all male clothes and had short hair.

Was addressed as male pretty frequently. Her face is not even androgynous...at all. She's pretty and average in size.

l seriously can't comprehend anyone genuinely thinking she's male. And l don't think they just think she's a really pretty boy lol.

l guess if the male"ness" about a person is strong enough that's just what people will go with.

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm over six feet tall and dress in T-shirts and jeans, so no, it doesn't happen to me much if at all. I did have somebody recently call me "ma'am" on the phone, which is odd because my voice is really deep. She apparently misheard "Lex" as "Alice" and just assumed I was a smoker. :slight_smile: How did I react? I just sort of laughed it off.

Lex