1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a little help.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by theskywreck, Jan 6, 2013.

1. theskywreck

I'm a FtM transgender person, and I want people to call me by a boy's name (and pronouns). I'm only out to my immediate family but that can change. My parents still treat me as a girl, even if they know I don't identify as one, and I'm not sure how to convince them to stop. (Apart from that, they're quite supportive but my father prefers to ignore it.)

As for my friends and other peers, I'd have to come out to them first, but that I can deal with. I'm just not sure how to demand to be called by a new name. Most of my friends are 14-15 years old, in case that's important.

Also, is it possible to get the staff at the high school I attend to use that new name? Just wondering.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

2. Live Love Smile

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Just politely ask them to call you by your male name and use male pronouns. If your father prefers to ignore it, can you maybe wait it out and find a gender-neutral nickname until he's adjusted?

A real friend would love you and respect you no matter what. You could have some problems coming out as trans, since some people are narrow and don't grasp the concept "it's my life and I'll choose how to live it".

Maybe start with the teachers that like you best? Have you researched into human rights regarding gender identity? It could be a start if it is in Quebec's Charter.

Sorry if I'm not much help, but I do really wish you the best of luck.

Take care,
    Rae.