1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intergenerational relationships.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rexmond, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Rexmond

What do you guys honestly think about them?

Sometimes I wonder what older men see in younger men other than full of sexual energy.
    Also, do you think that it should limited to 18+?

I know full well it's what I want, why should an age limit be necessary?

2. toaster

Not my thing. I had seen older guys manipulate younger guys because they're young and stupid, but I had seen older guys that are nice and genuinely like them as well. Some older guys after younger guys because this proves that they're still in the game, it's the same with older men after younger girls.

3. Given To Fly

One of my friends in his mid 20s is in a civil partnership with a guy in his mid 50s. So it can work.

Depending where you are Rexmond, an age limit is appropriate to avoid unnecessary attention from the authorities. In most Western countries you'd be considered a minor after all. I know that's not what you want to here, but that's life.

4. IrisM

There are no absolutes. It could be good, it could be bad, each individual situation, and the people in them are unique, and I don't feel qualified to lay down a blanket judgement arbitrarily. Nonetheless I wish you luck in life and love.

5. djt820

Government has to draw the line at some age. 18 or 16 usually are the line for most places. The argument, from what I can tell, is that minors don't fully understand the choices they are making (ie, not mature enough). Is this true for everyone under 18? No. Is it true for a lot of people under 18? I would argue yes.

The age limit is there to protect the youth, really. Many times, older men take advantage of younger people. This could lead to mental and physical abuse.

Is 18 a magic number? No. It's just a number but the line needs to be drawn somewhere. Personally, I think 16 is fine.

And what do older men see in younger men? A big majority of it is probably the young-look and the sexual energy. I'm sure there's other reasons but older men hit on me quite a bit and it usually is just for the younger booty, for which I kind of detest, but they can't really help who they're attracted to, either so I can't blame them too much; at least I'm not a minor.

In the end, if that's what you're into, that's cool but be aware of your laws and be responsible and safe.

6. AaronG

AaronG Guest

I personally am not attracted to men much older than me, I probably wouldn't participate in an intergenerational relationship but i'm not against them at all

7. Romi

I would just like to say that I don't have a problem with it. No one should. This is under the assumption that both individuals are fully capable of knowing and understanding their circumstances, goals, etc.

I don't see anything wrong with it. In fact, I quite fancied a man who was older than my father at one point. He wasn't rich. He didnt even have a nice car. But we got along great and we made each other happy. That's what really matters.

---------- Post added 6th Jan 2013 at 09:41 PM ----------

I'll add by saying...there was no manipulation. He was more surprised I was into him than I was that he was agreeing to go out on dates with me. And we were dance partners.

8. spiderweb

spiderweb Guest

I feel the same way. :slight_smile:

9. julia

There should be age limits when it comes to relationships because who wants their partner to die 10-30 years before them? That doesn't sound too great.

10. Romi

Don't you think they should have the choice?
    Putting an age limit on love is just as bad as putting a gender limit on it.

Disclaimer: Assuming this is a consensual blah blah blah relationship.

11. julia

Oh my god, no, of course there should be no legal age limits, that's barbaric. I was mainly just talking about myself and my opinions for my own relationship.
    People can date whoever they want, I don't care.

12. SkyDiver

18+.

Besides that, whatever floats your boat.

13. Romi

Whew. Because seriously, I was about to be like...What the hell??? :lol:
    (*hug*)

14. julia

Haha, I was hoping no one would take me seriously. The internet can be so black and white :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    (*hug*) for you too :grin:

15. Femme

I've dated all over the age spectrum. I was used to dating men that were older than me so now that I'm with women, why not women older than me?

I was very surprised when women much younger than me (15 years younger not her age) pursued me.

So long as both are of legal age, whatever works for you.

16. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually prefer to be with an older woman, typically 25-40. When I was 16, I dated a woman who was 24. I loved it, but the age difference was definitely a challenge. I do recommend waiting until you're 18, though.

17. Rexmond

Yeah I know I have to wait. But say I do meet a man, and we do happen to love each other, then what if we just simply keep in (non-sexual) contact till I'm 18? Would that be okay?

And that's some real sweet stories some you guys got there. :hug:

Also, what about the idea of some countries coming to a compromise, e.g: If you can prove that the relationship is legit, there's no manipulation, and say the U18s parents can agree to that, then the country will allow the wedding? Though I see the parent thing being an issue.

18. Hexagon

consensual+of_age=no_one_elses_business

@Rexmond, Well I suppose non-sexual relationship would be legal, although perhaps there might be a risk of authorities believing it to be a sexual relationship anyway, and taking action.

19. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The suggestion to wait until you're 18 has nothing to do with age of consent. Age of consent in my state is 16. I suggest you wait until you're 18 because that's usually the average age of maturity. I'll admit, being in a relationship with a 24-year-old woman while I was 16 was very challenging because I was so young. She had a hard time trusting me and I had a hard time understanding how she viewed a lot of things. I was very carefree about a lot of things, while she was more of a logical thinker. But I guess it truly does depend on who you meet. Just do what you feel is best. Though, I do highly suggest you wait until you're at the age of consent.

20. curlycats

i have nothing against two consenting adults (yes, i agree with the 18+ thing for maturity sake) being in a relationship, regardless of their age or anything else. i would be lying, however, if i said that i'm not curious as to how well an inter-generational relationship would work. that isn't to say that i doubt they can work as i'm sure that they can, but i wonder what (if any) compromises have to be made, what misunderstanding may result from a large age difference, etc etc.

personally, i'm open to the idea that i might fall in love with someone notably younger/older than me. the chances that i would meet someone outside of my generation and have the opportunities necessary to form such a close relationship as to fall in love, however, seem rather slim.