1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many people would agree with these reasons for homophobia?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by amoore658, Jan 7, 2013.

1. amoore658

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi guys,

Recently, one of my friends who is.... Well, let's just say it wouldn't take a brain surgeon to work out that he's gay lol. He was at the most popular gay night club in our city. This club is located in an area where, you would only be in the said area if you were either going to the gay club or the gay sauna. When he was leaving, two "straight" guys came out of nowhere, and started beating him up, because he was gay.

Apart from obviously finding what they did to him disgusting, I can't understand why they feel the need to gay bash. I've heard this said before, and I feel the reason some "straight" guys are homophobic, is actually because they question their own sexuality. Many of my gay friends have said that before they came out, they too made homophobic comments, to try and detract attention from their own sexuality. And looking back - so did I.

Obviously, I'm sure it's not the cause of everyones homophobia, but I think it's certainly true for a good number of cases.

Your opinion(s)?

2. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    #2 gordilocks, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  3. amoore658

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Gordilocks

Very interesting post. I definitely agree that's another reason (i.e. see "LAD Bible" on Facebook, where what is written in that .PDF file is demonstrated!)

Brilliant post

4. Rexmond

No, I don't agree with that logic. I mean, I don't go round squishing spiders because I question whether or not I might be a spider.

5. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    well yeah, it's not b/c they're curious that they could be gay. it's that they are gay, hate being gay, & the result of this self-loathing is a hatred of all other gay people.

good point abt the LAD Bible. it also pretty aptly demonstrates the link between masculinity & misogygny, actually.

6. amoore658

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know that..."theory" or whatever you want to call it is NOT the cause of homophobia in every instance, but it certainly was for me and at least 30 gay guys my age that I know. I remember, EVERY opportunity I got, I would gay-bash, because I thought it detracted attention from me being gay. And also, a guy from my school who was also extremely homophobic (and I mean extremely) just recently came out as bisexual.

And yeah I agree re: LAD bible & misogyny... Quite embarrassing the lengths some guys go to to prove they're "lads" LOL

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Liking guys is seen as a womanly trait. Because of this, they assign other womanly traits to gay men no matter their actual description, like stereotypical physical and emotional weakness. Meatheads feel the need to root out weakness by attacking it with fists, which has the much appreciated effect of making them look tough and super-straight.

Stupid is as stupid does.

8. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It is true, if not for everyone, at least for a good number of them.

There are two ... mm, let's say aspects, that comes on this situations. First, think of a man that has been taught all his life that love comes between a man and a woman. That is the rule, thus, anything that goes away from that is going against the rule, and therefore is wrong. What happens to that man if he feels some kind of attraction to other man? For one side, he will feel he is wrong, therefore, something must be made to correct that, and the easiest way is to show to others he is not, by demonstrating an active hate against people in the same situation.

What I wanted to say with this last remarks is, a that man might say homophobic thing to show he is against homosexual people, and therefore no one will doubt he is straight. Remember: it's always easier to convince oneself of something if other people believe it too.

The second aspect is a destructive one: that man might want to destroy anything that has to do with those feelings, because if those doesn't exist, then he can't feel them. This aspect can have a lot of different manifestations, whose varies from person to person according to their culture, knowledge and personality. It can range from disavow (or disown) any existence of homosexuality, to try to actively destroy homosexuality itself (by beating random gay people).

It's sad, but that's the way this society was constructed.

9. TheDifferent13

Personally I was never gay bashing. Not when I didn't truly know or rather let myself realize it, nor now that I accept myself for who I am, and still hide it from others. But when other people were joking about it, I laughed along at their gay jokes, for trying not to "stick out". Ever since I accepted myself, I felt terrible doing that, but I guess some form of self preservation always gets the best of me. I never have or never will dish out gay bashing or jokes though.

I guess, that from my personal experience I know, that in denial I was more homophobic, than I am now. At least in a form of accepting homophobic remarks from others. So I can agree that homophobia can come from someone's issues with their own sexuality. But that's not always the case. I know some people, that I'm 99.9% sure are straight, and are pretty homophobic, always blurting out gay remarks when they see someone who looks more on a feminine side.

On an unrelated topic... What is LAD bible? I've come across it being mentioned many times, but I never found out, what it actually is about.

10. amoore658

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Brilliant, good to see people agree with me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The LAD Bible is basically a Facebook page written by guys, telling other guys how they should behave (pretty much like the Judeo-Christian Bible) and it includes their own version of the Ten Commandments. Some examples include (but not limited to):

* In the unlikely event any LAD should meet Justin Bieber, thou shalt punch him in the face
    * Thou shalt go MILF (Mother Id Like to F*ck) hunting in Iceland, because mums go to Iceland
    * Thou shalt only read the LAD Bible and abuse any other Bible or wench (Wench refers to girls)
    * Thou shalt spread thy seed in as many wenches as possible

That's just some of the 120+ "Commandements" they have. They would be quite laughable, if it wasn't for the fact most guys reading it took it literally. I mean "wench"? Maybe I'm just being old fashioned, but it's disgusting to refer to a girl that way IMO

11. Ticklish Fish

but isn't masculinity.... depicted by media and other popular norms?

(mind you, it's no longer masculine to kill boars with a spear)

12. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think one of the things that bothers straight men the most (and specifically men, not women) about other gay men, is that the idea of another man fantasizing about them is disturbing. Why this is specific to men usually (women tend to be homophobic based on principle, whereas men frequently at least feel distinctly uncomfortable about the thought) is due to the traditional male-dominant/female-submissive relationship. When a man learns anther man is attracted to him (or could be) and is not homosexual, this challenges his masculinity. At least in his mind, it places him in a submissive position, or at least challenges his dominance, and hence masculinity. This is why straight women tend to be less bothered (if at all) by the idea of another women liking them, since this doesn't challenge their image of themselves; their womanhood.

A progressive, intelligent, and well acclimated straight male can get over the emasculating feelings by realizing that he is not less of a man because another man likes him.

13. sugarcubeigloo

Sure! That can definitely be on of the reasons for homobhobia. I for sure think if we could read the minds of homophobic people everywhere, we would see there are a wide variety of reasons why they end up like this. I think a lot of it really has to do with not understanding what gay is. People fear what they don't understand, and I think that there are just as many homophobic guys out there (probably more) who just don't understand how one man can love another as there are homophobes that may think they are gay themselves.

14. TheDifferent13

Hahaha, that's pretty funny! And to think that people actually take it seriously...

15. vani

vani Guest

this is disgusting in my sisters school guys beat up lesbians for being gay 'and this comes from the people who say don't hit a girl'

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have definitely practiced some defensive homophobia in my time, but not to that degree.

17. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

This is exactly how I feel about that situation too! You've written it perfectly!! :thumbsup:

18. This is totally untrue before I came out every super dude in my schools was a totally jerk. But after I came out they all became nice to me like overnight.