1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transsexual and Transgendered?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aielar, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Aielar

So I was just reading one of my textbooks and, as a result, am now confused by the difference between transsexual and transgendered - from what the book said, and what a little further research on the definition of both suggests, they are basically the same thing.

I'm still confused about it though - if they are the same, then why have multiple terms for it? I don't know. I would very much appreciate anyone who can shed some light on the matter for me :slight_smile:

Oh, and sorry if anything I wrote above causes offence - my intentions couldn't be farther from doing so.

2. Eatthechildren

(Don't use "Transgendered". Use "Transgender" in the future :slight_smile:)
    Transsexual - Someone who's had a sex change
    Transgender - Someone who doesn't identify with the gender the were assigned at birth.

Most Transsexuals are Transgender. A lot of Transgender people are not Transsexual. A handful of Transsexuals are not Transgender.

3. Hot Pink

First of all, it's transgender and not transgendered. Second, transgender is an umbrella term that refers to everyone that is gender- or sex-variant. This also includes people who ignore established gender roles. Examples include crossdressers, gender queer, agender people, drag queens and kings, even tomboys, butch women, and effeminate men.

A transsexual is also part of the transgender umbrella, but not everyone under the transgender umbrella is a transsexual. A transsexual is a specific kind of person with a gender identity non-congruent with this physical sex. These people may or may not transition with hormones and surgeries.

Eatthechildren's definitions are the common, but incorrect, definitions.

#3 Hot Pink, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  4. Fiddledeedee

The definition varies from person to person and book to book, as the above two posts show, though I believe Hot Pink's definition is the official one.

5. Aielar

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and for mentioning that it's transgender instead of transgendered - I'll be working on changing that from now on. I understand the difference between transgender and transsexual much better now.

6. Hexagon

I am technically transsexual, but I use the term transgender to describe myself on the rare occasion I discuss it. Hot Pink's terms are correct, however the term 'transsexual' is the only one used frequently among cis-gendered straight people, and its usually used offensively. I don't like the connotations they apply to it, and as trans* issues are so frequently misunderstood, its often taken to be a sexual orientation or fetish.