1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I really am that stupid and dumb omg why!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Alexander69

Ok so my dad asked me a math question..... I suck at math like my mom! Anyways here is the question 10+10*0+10=........ So I said 30!!! I though that was right I was like "Well 0+10+10+10= 30 does it not!!!? Like how the hell do you get "20" my mom said 10?? I'm so stupid I want to cry I got all mad and was throwing things I mean If I can't get that right I have a f**king learning disability!!!! They thought I did have one as a child but I don't but like WTF I hate myself :frowning2:

2. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    um, i don't wanna sound like a dick or anything, but it's just a maths problem. i don't really see the big deal tbh

3. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're not dumb! :slight_smile: The whole reason people ask math questions like that is because people get it wrong all the time.

I don't know if you've already figured out why you get 20, but.. in math, * always goes before + or -, so the first thing you have to do is 10*0, which is 0. Then you add the +s, so 10 + 0 (^see above) + 10 = 20.

4. Luke Matt

BODMAS: Brackets, Orders (powers/square roots), Divison, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction.

Order of operations, my friend.

5. leer

your not stupid mate you have a good head on your shoulders and if am honest I would have said 20.05 :icon_wink

6. Alexander69

I remember BEDMAS but I though when it said 10+10 that that was a deepest question and the *0 was separate? I thought one way I could have done it was to go 10+10=20*0=0+10=10 that's how my mom and I also did it...... It just makes me mad because I feel so stupid see...... I was in private school for most of my life actually out here catholic private school but i got kicked out 1 my grades were not good 2 I was not going to church..... And my mom refused to help out at the school when she could LMAO..... Anyways I then went to a public high school.... This is embarrassing..... I was in the dumbest math class you could be in before most people drop out..... And I found it hard even at that level ...... UGH I want to be smart I want to cry :'(

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Order of Operations:

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally: Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication/Division, Addition/Subtraction.

The 10*0 is figured first, which comes up to 0. Your problem is then 10+0+10, which equals 20. :slight_smile:

I was in the same boat as you basically. Terrible at math until one day it just clicked. Part of the difference was that by this certain time, I wanted to know it. I was interested enough in sci-fi to research the real physics of space travel. That involves a fair amount of algebra and a crapton of order of operations problems, so I felt like I needed to learn math in order to better myself.

For me at least, motivation was half the battle. Have a genuine interest in what you're learning and it won't just skip off the top of your brain. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#7 Argentwing, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  8. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

BODMAS? Interesting, I was taught PEMDAS, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction. But yeah, you should get 20. People ask those because its suppose to trick people.

9. MerBear

trust me , even if i was your age. i still wouldn't get it. i can't do mental math that well. some are good at it , some are not. i wish i was smart like my sister but im not...i may not be smart like her but at least im sweeter haha

#9 MerBear, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  10. Alexander69

LOL in Canada we use BEDMAS in the uk you use BODMAS

11. Salazar

I used BIDMAS: Brackets, Indecies, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction. They all amount to the same. You can't have different rules for maths around the world.

12. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, that way you're doing the additions first and then the multiplication. You should do it the other way around.
    When it comes to math, just keep calm and think logically. Following the rules will get you quite far.

But you don't have to be good at everything. You may have a different class that you're really good at that others suck at.

13. Alexander69

We use BEDMAS out here so yes we do have different rules!

14. AaronG

AaronG Guest

Math is specifically designed to confuse people and make us angry with its stupid messed up rules

15. Rexmond

I thought it was 10 too! :grin:

I honestly suck at maths, and require extra lessons from family, teacher and head of maths at my school. It still doesn't stick, but I always try my hardest.

I'm not going to let a silly maths questions pull me down in life, and neither should you. :wink:

16. Luke Matt

We learnt BODMAS in Australia. It might be different overseas, but the concept is still the same :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Adarya

Same here- I've always been taught PEMDAS. I have no idea how everyone got these different order of operations, but it's actually pretty cool how people come up with ways to remember it :grin:

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2013 at 06:18 PM ----------

And now that I look at your post it makes a lot of sense, too.

18. Emberstone

math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology - peter griffen.

19. Metleon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Honestly, I might have said 0, and I'm a math major. All I'd hear would be 3 tens and a times 0 somewhere in there, so my brain could easily put it together as (10+10+10)*0 = 0. Spoken math problems are hard and there's really no point in getting worked up over them.

As for the order of operations, we always learned PEMDAS but we did the MD at the same time and AS at the same time.

20. redstormrising

they're not different rules, it's just a different way of saying the same thing.