1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transition from straight dating to gay dating

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by laurac31, Jan 7, 2013.

1. laurac31

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :smilewaveHeres a somewhat interesting question. I am gay and have recently accepted it. I am very ready to date. I am 28 so I have have had multiple straight relationships, none tha t were succsesfull obviously! ha ha. Anwyway when I was in relationship with guys I was nervous and self concious and unhappy. I know part of that has to do with being gay but I am wondering what differences when you went from dating straight people to gay. (if you did date straight people)?

2. PinkTractor

Hi,

I found there were some profound differences between dating a man and a woman. With a man, no one ever stared, glared, or yelled at us for holding hands. With a man, there were seemingly more established protocols in place for how to act/relate. With a man, there was always this implied feeling that I would want more of a committed relationship than he would and I would have to "catch" him.
    With a woman, it was totally different. There was no expectation of how we would act, we were equal. There were no pre-existing "roles" to play. This made it very confusing at first. There was a greater sense of being relaxed in our conversations, because she was being a friend as well as a date. There were the shared experiences of living in a female body--very cool to be able to ask your date to loan you a tampon if needed! There was this bizarre fear of overstepping some boundaries--I KNEW this woman was gay, and yet I was still half-convinced that if I did anything like try to kiss her, she'd haul off and slap me. The things you would never dream of doing to a straight woman feel really risky at first, even with a gay date.
    I feel like I haven't worded this very clearly, but I do know where you're coming from. I had straight relationships only for 30 years, then started a relationship with a woman at the age of 45. Please let me know if there's anything specific I can help you with, okay? You can always drop a note onto my wall, if you want to.

3. laurac31

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh your awesome! Very helpful thank you, definitaly some things I hadn't thought about that you brought up. It's funny I have always had such a hard time dating and as much as I tried to make my relationships perfect they were always doomed from the begining. One thing that is really sad is that it's only recently that I realized that the person you eventually end up with is supposed to your best friend. While I was dating I was always just trying to keep up appearences and make things work! Such a nice thought. I imagine I will be asking you many questions. =)

4. Jade Ivy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd have to say that dating a female, for me, was a lot more fun, because I felt more at ease, I felt prettier (I have no idea why) and I felt more interested in the person i was with. It made it all so much easier. And I am guessing that the difference was not who I was with, but my response to and feelings about who I was with. I also dated/married/raised children with men until I was older (52 actually).

#4 Jade Ivy, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013