1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have Asperger's syndrome.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Niqk, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I saw this term on the forums and I looked it up... and then I saw the symptoms.
    Literally almost everyone of them is true about me... and it explains a lot. Oh my God :/

How should I feel about this?

2. madi

3. Hexagon

You haven't changed. You've learnt something about yourself, that is all. Furthermore, you've learnt a term to describe yourself and others like you, and that can help you find communities should you ever have the need for support or companionship. You might want to look up the wrong planet forums.

Oh, and BTW I'm autistic too.

4. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As of May of this year but anyway, it doesn't matter whether they refer to it as Beiber Fever, Dudu Delight or whatever :/ I have a case of mild autism and I don't know to feel about this.

---------- Post added 8th Jan 2013 at 08:00 PM ----------

Actually the only autistic people I see are through the media, and they're always small children for fundraising.

I'm actually a little relieved, because I thought that some of my behaviour was that of an insane person.

5. madi

Sorry I didn't mean to be corrective, just thought it may be helpful when trying to explain to others and researching what is happening in the public with people who are going through the same thing as you. I can't imagine how hard it must be finding out that you have a syndrome, but you are you no matter what and there is only one of you...okay that was really cheesy, but I'm serious. Aspergers or not you can still be an amazingly awesome person and although it must have been troubling to find this out I'm sure you can still have a happy and fulfilling life which is what all of us want right?

6. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's okay, sorry that came out rude -__- I just overreacted when I find out and I'm still feeling weird.

7. MidnightOwl

8. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The problem is that the person I like is extremely extroverted. I don't know how I'm going to maintain a relationship with someone who is the complete opposite of me.

But like I said, it explains a lot.

9. Metleon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have Asperger's and I remember my mom started freaking out when she read all the symptoms. Then she realized I could already dress myself, tie my shoes, ride a bus, etc. There's nothing to freak out about because you're the same as you've always been, you just have a word for it now.

10. madi

Oh it's fine. That's completely understandable and I think it's bs that it's not recognized anymore as well. It seems less extreme than autism to me although many people don't realize how broad autism is. It is social disorder that does not have a known genetic source...Basically the scientists are saying...."Something happened, but I don't know what."

oooh and Wikepedia!
    Autism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11. MidnightOwl

I have a partner whom is extremely extroverted and our relationship is very strong and very connected. And I have aspergers not autism [could go on a rant right now].

edit-

It's like saying Schizoid Type Personality disorder is the same as Schizophrenia....34u49g

12. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Reading about autism, and ehh... quite a few of what is said is true about me. I emailed a counselor, since I want to discuss something with her and perhaps I can ask her to help me realize whether I have what was formerly known as Asperger's or autism.

Don't know what to think right now.

---------- Post added 8th Jan 2013 at 08:18 PM ----------

Thanks for all the support, I'm still not sure what to think about all this but thank you (&&&)

Should I tell my friends (I only have about one friend that I can talk to actually, apart from the guy I want to go out with)? Might tell my parents at a later stage or maybe should just leave it out? I think it would explain a lot of things to them.

13. madi

I may wait to tell people until you are formally diagnosed, but you can tell people you are close to that you suspect it. I wouldn't tell anyone that you are sure yet until you see someone about getting diagnosed.

14. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    True, I'll wait till I talk with the counselor at least since she should tell me quite a bit about the subject. The reason I want to tell them is because I want to convince them that I am not weird, although I guess autism is weird.

15. Hatsupi Kona

Hatsupi Kona Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My school is known for taking in the social outcasts with mental diseases such as ADHD, aspergers, etc. This is best left diagnosed by a professional, not self-diagnosed. Trust me, when you have to sit next to someone who shouts "CRAYON!" every minute you can tell. Also, people with aspergers usually do not go unnoticed. Parents would be sure to find out after K-2nd grade.

My aunt is a para-professional, she works with these kids everyday. You may think you have it, but to be sure, you should ask your parents.

16. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a very difficult relationship with my parents and when I was younger they were always at work or bickering between myself, so I distanced myself and kept every little fact about myself to myself. My parents know very little about me, but they know I'm not 'normal'. They were, and sometimes still are scathing towards me, and it indicated that they knew something about me was wrong.

17. Hatsupi Kona

Hatsupi Kona Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you want to find out for sure, find some local clinic to get diagnosed at. Also, do you have any interests that you consider "over-interested" in?

18. Mackattack

Mackattack Guest

OMG!! I JUST today looked up the symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome for myself as well!! A lot of them sound like I might have it also!!! My best friend has it and she thinks I have it as well, but I thought that was kinda funny how I was reading about it today and saw your post on here too. :slight_smile: My problem is I don't know what all my steps are to figure out if I'm on the autism spectrum or not, so I'm not 100% sure if I have it, but like I said, my best friend says I do too.

19. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In the past I was obsessed with reading... I mean literally obsessed. Then online gaming. When I was around 12-14, I was obsessed with cutting cardboard into pretty good impersonations of weapons, painting them and usually playing with them on my own. I made over a thousand literally, and my father got mad at me when he found out what I had done. Then I became obsessed with boys my age, namely the ones I thought were good-looking. I didn't talk to the other kids, but I talked way too much to those that I liked.

20. Lux

Lux

Are you sure you have the syndrome? I would suggest seeing a doctor to verify. I know a lot of people with it who are full-functioning, brilliant individuals.

Still it's a pretty evident disorder and I'd be surprised if you hadn't been officially diagnosed by the time you were at least in your early teens.

Of course it's a spectrum, some cases are more or less serious than others, and some people definitely can go through life without any official diagnosis.

As to how you should feel about this, I wouldn't feel especially disconcerted--I think being able to understand yourself and how/why you interact the way you do is a powerful thing and this can only be beneficial!

EDIT: I'd also really like to add that diagnosing yourself for anything based off descriptions found on the internet is pretty inconclusive. You can google symptoms you have and get results for a bunch of crazy things. In general, I personally think it's a bad idea to try to self-diagnose. You'll often be wrong and may sometimes be scared because you've given yourself a harsher result than may in fact be reality.

#20 Lux, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013