1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving out on my own

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by theMaverick, Jan 8, 2013.

1. theMaverick

Yes, I'm 24 and still live with parents. Numerous reasons have continued this vicious circle, but my 2013 #1 resolution is to get my own apartment. While looking online, I've run into this issue. Every apartment I look at has HORRIFIC reviews. WTF? Is this just a case of an angry customer (tenant) tells 100 people their story, a happy customer tells 1? How can I find something decent without these scary reviews?

2. redstormrising

do any of your friends have apartments in the area? if so, ask them how they like where they live and if they have any recommendations

3. castle walls

Have you thought about checking out the places in person? Maybe ask some of the neighbors what they think of the area? Perhaps someone can inspect the apartment with you?

You could read a bad review that isn't valid for a variety of reasons including the tenant being out of control. I'm not saying you should ignore the bad reviews but they aren't always accurate or valid.

4. leer

I would take the reviews into consideration but you own review is more important so I would take a look for yourself its your review that counts not other peoples . maybe take a friend along see what they think .:slight_smile:

5. dont really go on reviews off other people about the apartment, i would go on things like crime rates e.t.c after all i can put up with whingy/mean neighbours but if a place has high crime i couldnt live there no matter how many locks i had on my door i just wouldnt feel safe.

go and view some places and check them out for yourself, its you who will be living there not the people who reviewed it :slight_smile:

6. Gallatin

I wouldn't put too much stock into reviews. I did a quick search of my apartment complex on Google, and turns out mine is rated about 2/5 stars with several negative reviews and only one positive one. Guess what? I love my apartment, and I've never had a problem with anything. If there is a recurring theme in the reviews (say, a particularly awful landlord or shoddy maintenance work) then there might be some truth to it. But a lot of these negative reviews were over things like late payments and breaking the "no pet" rule.

So yeah, go there yourself, and give it a look. Like others have said, it's your opinion tha counts in the end, anyways.

7. SunSparks

Like everyone has been saying, don't pay too much attention to the reviews. What tends to happen with reviews is that when people have something to complain about, they post a negative review... however, people with positive remarks don't really have a reason to write a review. You can check out this article on negative reviews overall... the ratings may look bad but thats because of lopsidedness.

And, you should ask around with some friends and definitely visit a few places yourself. Take a friend with you on the tour as they can usually be helpful by pointing out both the good and bad.

Best of luck!

8. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

I remember my first time looking at apartments :slight_smile: it's scary and overwhelming. I live in Texas too and trust me, I know what you mean. Every apartment I saw had at least one bad review. It is what it is. Just look at different ones; explore your options. When you find one you like that is in your price range, just get it. Some have a 6 month lease which is great if you're testing them out to see what you like. Either way, you'll love it because it'll be your first home :slight_smile: and good for you for making that step!!

9. theMaverick

Thanks y'all. I will certainly take a friend with me and go check them out and I won't look at reviews online :grin: