1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone can identify as bisexual?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stuffiscool, Jan 9, 2013.

1. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

I sound like I'm policing by saying this, but when is someone 'allowed' to identify as bisexual? Is there a defined cut-off?

Have you ever thought that someone should or shouldn't have identified as bisexual? Once I was insulted because someone said they were '95% straight' but identified as bisexual. Their logic was that if you're ever attracted to someone of the same gender, even rarely, you are queer. I felt like this logic was a misunderstanding of sexuality and the product of a homophobic society. Once I was confused when someone said they were '80% straight' and often dated people of the same gender but did not identify as bisexual.

Is not identifying as bisexual a denial of your sexuality? Is identifying as bisexual a insult to the inner turmoil and oppression of bisexuals? Can anyone identify as bisexual even when they're only occasionally attracted to the gender they're not normally into? Would it challenge people's ideas on labels or would it make bisexual issues harder to talk about? Can anyone not identify as bisexual even when they're open about their frequent attractions to people of the gender they're not normally into? Would it challenge people's ideas on labels or would it make bisexuality visibility harder?

Discuss.

*I'm using 'bisexual' as an umbrella term.

2. Lux

Lux

Given that 72% of all statistics are made up on the spot, I'd say that regardless of what ratio some associate with their gay/straight tendencies, they are allowed to self-identify how they choose.

For example, even if Joe says he's 99.999% straight, he COULD identify as gay if his past three significant others were men. ;D

On a more serious note, I also think that some people who have a need for labels don't like the (often) three choices that are available.

-Straight
    -Bi
    -Gay

To be perfectly honest, I don't think this is fair to a lot of people who have some abnormalities with their attractions. I don't like to say I'm bi, but for lack of a better word I will. Why? Because I've had two long-term relationships with females. But that said, I'm 95 % of the time (take that ratio with a grain of salt) attracted to men. I think sex with men is hot. I'm a little less gung-ho about women sex, but I like the emotional bond I have with girls.

Soooo what do I call myself? I guess I call myself bi. There are surely other labels but if someone asks me "Hey Lux are you straight or gay?"

It's a little annoying to say: "No I am not either; nor am I bi, you see [insert friend's name here], I am sexually attracted to men and romantically attracted to females."

I mean... it's just wordy in contrast.

#2 Lux, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  3. Colours

One is allowed to identify as bisexual if they please to do so. It's up to oneself to decide what label fits them best.

I personally chose to identify as bisexual when I realized I was attracted to males. I didn't want to rule out the possibility of ending up with a girl. But lately I've been thinking my (physical) attraction towards girls is, to me, not significant enough to identify as bisexual. I'm not so appealed by the idea of dating one anymore either. I guess it's got to do with accepting myself.

My point though, it is up to the person to decide whether they think they're bisexual 'enough' to actually identify as that. Sure, maybe I am a little bi, but to me bisexuality implies you are open to dating both genders and it's not really like that for me.

4. Koan

Koan Guest

One of the things I am slowly starting to learn is, that you are whatever you feel you are. Sure, sometimes feelings changes or one get's new insights into ones sexuality.

But you are a allowed to use a label that you feel fits you at any given time.

5. TheUglyBarnacle

I think that you have the right to use whichever label you prefer. It took me a while to understand this, but it's more about what you feel rather than what other people think you should call yourself. You may have had only one same sex attraction in your life but in the end you might end up choosing them as your lifelong partner. Does that mean you are gay, bi or straight? Or maybe something different? It's all about the term you feel more comfortable with.
    Also, bisexual pretty much means that you have the capability to be attracted to people of more than one gender. There is no obligation to be equally attracted to men and women or to be genderblind (I think this what pansexual kinda is) and I am pretty sure that the ones who lean towards one side are more common than the others.

#5 TheUglyBarnacle, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  6. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I wouldn't say being "allowed" has anything to do with how you view your sexuality. But for clarities sake when conveying one's sexuality to others, I tend to define the various basic sexualities this way:

If you are only interested in having a partner of the same gender, you are homosexual.
    If you are only interested in having a partner of the opposite gender, you are heterosexual.
    If you are interested in having a partner of either gender, you are bisexual.

I don't really grade sexuality by your actual sexual attraction/romantic attraction, rather I define it as what gender you could have as the special, intimate relationship. Some people identify as bisexual, but are not really into sex with the same gender (or not as sexually attracted to the same gender), but would still see themselves as having a partner that is the same gender. Some people are asexual, and really don't care for or want sex, but still want an intimate relationship. I feel this scale makes things easier, since using a myriad of terms can make things confusing and makes it easier for people to identify potential partners.

7. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmmm well I think that a large majority of people aren't 100% straight or gay, but I wouldn't say that equals bisexual if that makes sense?

8. Eatthechildren

I don't like identity policing. Unless someone obviously doesn't understand a definition (IE: A self identified lesbian with a cis boyfriend may need some help understanding what a lesbian is) I don't think it's right to ever, EVER question whether someones identity is legitimate.

The way I see it:
    Straight: Attracted only to an opposite gender or sex
    Gay: Attracted only to your own gender or sex
    Bisexual: Attracted to more than one gender or sex (You can then go into specifics like Trisexual, Polysexual, Pansexual, etc, or you can just stick with Bisexual)

Of course sometimes these don't fit some people right, and need to be edited slightly, but that's the basics :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Hexagon

In my opinion, restricting the ability of some people to become part of the LGBT community simply alienates us from the rest of society. If someone has attraction to men and women, however much, then they can identify as bisexual if they want.

10. I don't think labels are necessary, but if you choose to have one, just use whichever feels right for you. You know deep down inside what you are!

11. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

These posts intrigue me.

I guess where I'm confused is, why are people against the 'trend' of bisexuality if just anyone can identify as bisexual? Or are you even against it? Are you exasperated at preteens calling themselves bisexual when they are questioning and end up realizing the same gender isn't for them? Are you exasperated when people call themselves bisexual to seem trendy or hot?

To me, the end result is the same--people with 'little' attraction outside one of the genders are calling themselves 'queer'. Is it more why the person identifies how they do rather than what they identify as?

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am of the opinion that people should do their questioning first, and then choose a way to identify.

13. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Only one more reply? Aww.

For now, I identify as bi/pansexual. Since I'm polyamorous, the thought of dating males is okay because I could have another female or femme partner. But I realize that if I was monogamous,or if I decide multiple partners is not for me, I might not date males at all. I might identify as lesbian. Yet I feel that bi/pansexual fits my sexuality better, not lesbian. Although it looks like y'all tolerant people would support me no matter how I identified.

14. Fiddledeedee

We haven't got a hivemind that'll come down on you like a ton of bricks if you identify or don't identify as bi yet fit or fail to fit some arbitrary criteria beyond the simplest and broadest definitions. Well, if we do, guys, why have you left me behind?

15. PurpleCrab

From my point of view there's three ways to go about this:

1- the literal way. That means that if you're not a 6 or a 1 on the Kinsey scale you should identify as bisexual; it tells the world that you CAN be attracted to people of either gender if circumstances are right.
    The advantages: You're not passing up opportunities that you could enjoy.
    The disadvantages: You're facing the biphobia when you could easily skip it.

2-The practical way: You only identify as bisexual if you're ready and willing to have relationships with either gender.
    The advantages: You're telling the world that your attractions are pretty much 50/50 so the person you date may be less anxious.
    The disadvantages: If you're not quite a 3 in the Kinsey scale, you won't identify as bisexual so you might pass good opportunities of a relationship with people of the gender you're less attracted to, and drama may occur when your special someone finds out that you're not completely gay/straight.

3- The long way: you say the truth, however complicated it may come out as. Like (my own example) I'm 2 on the Kinsey scale, that means I am very much attracted by women and seldom attracted by males, too that means I'm bisexual.
    The advantages: People get it, there's no confusion.
    The disadvantages: Some people will disagree and tell me that I should just claim that I'm straight, and that's rather annoying.

By the way, that's not true that just anybody can claim that they are bisexual; there are individuals who really can't be attracted by people of a gender, they are 6 or 1 on the Kinsey scale. They just aren't wired for bisexuality no matter the circumstances! One's got to acknowledge that, too.

16. TheUglyBarnacle

It sounds like you're pansexual homoromantic to me.

---------- Post added 12th Jan 2013 at 05:00 PM ----------

I think you mean a 0 or a 6 because 1 means predominantly heterosexual and only incidentally homosexual.
    But I like the way you put it.

Btw, I found this picture:
    [​IMG]

The Kinsey Scale seems to be a bit limited to me but it clearly shows that you can consider yourself bi even there is only a minor attraction to the same sex.

17. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

I like this. :slight_smile: I guess in my mind I can't understand why someone would open themselves up to opportunities with another gender in exchange for biphobia (which restricts opportunities in itself). Maybe I'm just embittered. But I suppose it's their life.

---------- Post added 12th Jan 2013 at 11:15 PM ----------

Yeah, I have considered using the term homoromantic. It would be nice not to feel like I have to force myself into dating males just bcuz I might enjoy sex with them.

18. agonizingnose

you are who you are. make a lable for yourself, others should not

19. Commenza

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, being bisexual doesn't mean that you have to be attracted to both genders equally or simultaneously. You can have preferences for one gender and still be bisexual.

Right now, I'm in a straight relationship but I used to have phases when I would only think about girls and there were other times when I would only find guys attractive. Altogether, I call myself bisexual.

I think, anyone can call themself bisexual, if they feel, it suits them best.

#19 Commenza, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  20. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    when you would actually have sex with either sex and like it IMO. "like it'' being key.

For people who haven't done so, sometimes you can tell if you're going to like it beforehand but this really isn't the case for everyone who has bisexual attractions.