1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I told my counselor I am gay

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Niqk, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So that's my 2nd person down... she's not exactly my counselor, she's just a counselor I messaged several times when I was depressed. I'm gay, but funnily enough I'd much rather talk with a woman about my feelings rather than a male. She's a professor in my psychology and I messaged her about 1.) Problems about studying that I can't seem to deal with 2.) My sexuality, and how to maintain a relationship with another gay person, 3.) My suspicions about having Asperger's and if she can help me work out whether I have it or not.

Anyway, soooo... I told someone else! The other person who knows is another gay person with whom I'm hoping to get involved :slight_smile: I have an appointment with her sometime soon. Does anyone know what kind of questions counselors / therapists tend to ask about sexuality since I've never been to one before and I've never talked about being gay in person.

Luke and I messaged a lot, but I haven't talked about it yet to his face, especially since my feelings for him are far from innocent. I can't help having a lot of sexual thoughts about him :icon_redf so the counselor would be the first person I'd speak to face to face about it... and I'm unsure what to expect.

2. Hexagon

Congratulations on coming out to her. I've never come out to a therapist about my sexuality, and anyway reactions to asexuality tend to be pretty different. However, I do know counselors are not supposed to judge or react much at all. She is more likely to ask you to describe your own feelings about your sexuality, rather than do anything that would put words in your mouth.

3. Given To Fly

I've never been to therapy, but IMO if you want you answers to mean anything, and get something out of the session, it's probably best not to think to much on potential questions, as you'll be formulating answers in advance. Much better to say what you feel on the spur of the moment.

4. Naomilly92

Congratulations. Coming out is a big step, especially to a counsellor who can help you work through it. When I came out to my counsellor, she (I also prefer female counsellors to male) just asked me how I felt about it, (not entirely comfortable with it) and helped me decide to get involved in the LGBT community, she just helped me see that even though it's hard, it takes time to accept yourself. Your counsellor will definitely help you work through your issues

5. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've never actually met her before to be honest, all I know is that she's a professor at my uni in psychology and her preferred field is sexuality and relationships.... so it should go well :slight_smile:

And yes perhaps I shouldn't think too much about it. But coming out to her wasn''t as difficult as telling someone I know. Even telling Luke, who is 100% super gay, was a tough challenge, especially due to growing up in a homophobic environment.

I might tell a friend of mine at some point (who is straight), who knows?

6. Naomilly92

I find straight guys are the hardest to come out to, that's just my experience. Especially when your straight friends are obsessed sexually with women, like mine are. Girls are a lot easier, I find they're more mature about the situation and most love having a gay best friend

7. VyreRain

@TokyoPoliceClub .... that's not necessarily true Bc I told my fried who was a girl and she took it badly and my straight friend talks to me more than ......well idk lol .....:slight_smile: but just Bc you expect something doesn't mean its always true but if you know for sure someones a homophobe then b careful