1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today was a bit... strange

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by whereisthelove, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Today was my first day back at college. I started tutoring last semester and really enjoyed it so I am continuing to tutor this semester.

So anyway, one of the women I tutored last semester is back and I am tutoring her in composition. She was reading her professor's mini-biography and the professor listed herself as "Active with LBGT issues". I saw that she kinda tilted her head when she read that but didn't pay much attention. But when we got to the part of the biography about the professor and her partner, the woman said something like "Oh my God, she's a lesbian?!" I responded with "yeah, didn't you see that she was LGBT active?" She ended up not even knowing what LGBT stood for; hence her slight head tilt. She said she couldn't believe it and that, although she is against gay marriage, she was happy to see that the professor had the confidence to be so open.

Then, my friend and I ended up going to the accompanying high school on campus (of which we used to attend) to see our favorite teacher. He showed us some pictures from his wedding and one of the other teachers (his close friend) was in the pictures , usually standing with the same woman over and over. Turns out, it was her partner! And we got in a long discussion about gay-related issues.

Later, another person came in for math help and my friend decided to see what he could do for him. After a little while, it turns out that he is gay as well!

And finally to top it all off... while I was driving my friend home, he and I got into a discussion about homosexuality and asked me some questions, knowing that I was bisexual. (He didn't even know what LGBT stood for either!)

It was just so strange to have all of this in one day, especially when topics like this are never brought up. It's so nice to know that I am surrounded by and am friends with people who are so caring, understanding, tolerant, and supportive! :grin:

2. Van

Van

You can say you had a pretty gay day. :grin: That's really awesome.

3. jp16

Absolutely right!
    Looking forward happening that to me:slight_smile:

4. Deaf Not Blind

It does seem the more you are unafraid to be yourself, the more others become less afraid to discuss it. Mom and me never discussed this stuff...or very negatively like we don't stand for gay special rights...until i started being more me and talking and i found she is wiling to be more tolerant herself. it is a happy surprise.