1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on religion? I'm confused...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kat, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Kat

Kat

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So my first girl crush started I guess in late october of 2011... Took me a while to get over her and the fact she had a boyfriend... Fast forward to 2012 I met this really nice girl at a christian church since my grandma went to talk to someone from there.. I immediately liked her and she started talking to me about God and her religion, even gave me a bible, I had been struggling with the fact that I like girls as well and was trying to figure out my take on religion, the moment I read some random thing on the bible I freaked out because it was something about God punishing people who didnt live by the bible and all of that and it really made me question everything, because to me God wants everyone to be happy, he created us after all if liking someone your own gender is so wrong why did he let it happen in the first place?? And how can a feeling so real and honest be wrong just because it's not for someone the opposite gender...

I'd really like to know another opinions it'd be great to know I'm not the only one with this concern.

2. Equalist

Equalist Guest

You are definitely not the only one with this concern.

I'm an atheist, so my opinions are obviously going to be biased. Everything you said, along with many other reasons, are why I think the bible is a joke. On top of that, after my own research and studying of psychology, specifically abnormal psychology and disorders, I believe it is safe to assume that religion can indeed be very unhealthy psychologically depending on how you practice it. I have seen more harm done than good with religion, hypocrisy is evident almost everywhere, and some aspects are simply insults to intelligence.

With that said, I believe it is something you must research and learn about yourself. I know people who don't live by everything stated in the bible, and I know some who are way too extreme. I even know some who reject the label of "religious" for themselves and simply claim that they believe in God. Those people are honestly the theists I respect most; they are also the most spiritual, and if I had to say it, the ones I think are truly closest to their God. They are also some of my closest friends.

I advise you to follow the path that you truly believe in, because trying to force yourself to follow a path you don't agree with is unhealthy. I also advise you to look into both sides and think critically about your true beliefs if it is important to you. Just know that if you decide you want to "become closer with God", you don't have to follow what the bible says; it is a personal journey. It doesn't make you any more or less of a person. And if you come to the conclusion that you do not believe in God, that is perfectly okay, too. You may come across people who put you down for your beliefs (or lack of beliefs), but ignore them; they are the ones who are truly pitiful. It's not necessarily your beliefs that matter, but how you act on them. Your beliefs don't affect anybody; your actions can.

Follow your true beliefs. Learn about both sides. Good luck.

3. Yea, a lot of other gay people have the same concern. You're definitely not the only one. I'm Catholic and it's the same with me.

4. MidnightOwl

Personally, imo I think that's the biggest contradiction there is. You cannot cherry pick a religion. I think religion is a joke to begin with a big fat giant joke, and it's a complete contradiction. People in religion cherry pick and pick and choose what they agree with and take out what they don't. That's not exactly following your docterne now is it? You can't say you believe something if you only believe half it.

5. jvn95

Well... I'm an atheist so I'm not sure I can say much without personal bias.

I think you should mull it over and look into your heart what you believe. I know I struggled for years trying to "pray the gay away" and worrying that if I did not like someone I was going to hell. Basically the bible says that if you not believe and follow god in all ways everyday and live in suffering and do not telepathically ask for him to forgive you for every little thing you do because all sins are equal you will burn for eternity. I was raised Catholic and when I finally let go of the chains of religion I felt comforted in not going to heaven or hell,That there was no man in the sky always watching me and piling on the list that is going to make me burn. I feel free now. I feel much happier too.

This is my take on it though. For some religion is a great source of peace, pride, and an outlet for something much bigger than themselves. To each their own, I think as long as you are happy and not pushing people to think the way you do, do whatever makes you feel good and at peace.

Again, take the time if you really believe in this religion, and that it makes you happy.

Sorry if I was no help, I think religion is a very touchy issue and I really do not want to sway you in any direction. The journey is yours and only yours.

Good luck

6. Divopix

I don't believe in religion. I don't think anyone should feel the need to commit themselves to something higher than them for whatever reason, but that's just me.

If I did believe in a god, I'd tell you that whoever god may be to you, it didn't create anyone to be superior over someone else, no matter what the bible says. Everyone is just as equal as the next.

The one huge thing I hate about religion is that it can be interpreted differently by everyone who believes in that specific religion. Some Christians are so into the bible and they base their life on it, and then others are still so open about a lot.

You should know you're just as appreciated as any straight person and just as equal, no matter what the bible or anyone else says.
    :slight_smile:

7. Metleon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Everything in the Bible about homosexuality is taken out of context. I made a post listing all of them, but I don't feel like looking for it right now.

The most important thing to remember is God hates sin, not sinners. So any time you see a "God hates [anyone]" sign, just laugh at all the silly people who blindly follow whatever nonsense the higher ups in their religion spout.

8. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^Yep.

My views are much different than everyone elses on here, because I won't say homosexuality isn't a sin. Pretty much everything is a sin. Looking at someone with lust or anger is a sin. Anything sexual short of a married straight couple trying to procreate in missionary and only thinking about the others sexual needs is a sin. Not going to church is a sin... The list goes on!

No sin is worse than/better than another. We can't rely on ourselves to be pure. Therefore, we should stop dwelling on our sins, as they're inevitable as we walk through life. Our sins don't define who we are, just our relationship with God.

Love God, love others. Focus on those words more than anything else you read in the bible, because the bible focuses on those two things.

You're beautiful the way you are. God accepts you for who you are better than the church, your family, your friends... everyone.

9. Deaf Not Blind

Actually not badly put!

If you read that Bible, I think you will find in the book of Romans to the church there all the stuff they think they were so great about, no, they had a lot of sins to work out...in their own hearts. And in Luke, in original Greek it is known to be very poetic as he was a doctor and very good in wording things from his high education. However, John is the one in simple Greek...he was not as schooled, so any 5th grader could have read it. John chapter 3 will tell you the heart of the God of Jews and Christians. That he is love, and he orders us to love one another, since he loved all humans so much he gave up his only son to pay the sins for all who love him. He is all about forgiveness too.

I am Christian, Baptist. I am Queer too. Sure we have problems dealing with it, but guess what? I have strangely found in coming out to others that Christians are about equally accepting of me as transgender as any atheist. I think it depends upon the person you meet, how they see others, how they love others. If doctrine, laws, and rules are all they focus on for themself, they will likely struggle more and be less likely to accept you...but if they focus on the heart of God's laws to love all, I think you will find they struggle less and will try hard to find a way to accept you because they do love you. And most important, that you love yourself first.

10. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    My thoughts on religion are that people who follow it have not learned to think. By think I mean question what it is you are being taught and finding the answer that should entail.

Speaking from my own experiences, I was taught scripture for 3 years in my childhood. In that time I was fed that Jesus could feed 5000 people on 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish, someone could live in a whale and that a man could split the sea. Even as a kid I found that hard to believe.

My only message is to question. Question everything life has to offer and make your own decisions based on your observations. It is essentially the same philosophy science has to teach and it will never let you down.

11. Deaf Not Blind

science can let you down.
    but do think.