1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disorders/Conditions Thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by plasticcrows, Jan 9, 2013.

1. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

What disorders, if any, do you have? Have they been diagnosed? If they haven't, explain why you think you have them. What kind of treatment, if any, do you have for them?

This thread is not limited to mental conditions.

Mine:
    Major Depressive Disorder.

Diagnosed. I voluntarily receive no treatment because antidepressants are designed on a barely testable hypothesis called the Monoamine Hypothesis, require that you take them for extended periods of time to experience full effects, and are terribly addictive. The last two reasons mean that they aren't a drug I can try once and decide if I like. Plus, I've taken multiple ones in the past and they've all made me experience undesirable mood changes like uncontrollable anger, manipulativeness, anxiety, etc.

Panic Disorder. Diagnosed. I have panic attacks about 5 times a month. No treatment because I'm scared to talk about it.

ADHD Diagnosed. I take an extended release formula of methylphenidate. Even though I don't like taking addictive drugs, it's better than being a distracted imbecile.

Asthma. Not diagnosed by a doctor, but I meet the criteria outlined by the ICD-10. I treat it myself with a bronchodilator/anti-inflammatory drug.

I suspect I may have some sort of dissociative disorder for reasons that scare me to type.

I have also experienced amphetamine (specifically lisdexamfetamine) induced psychosis.

2. Deaf Not Blind

I have asthma too. I don't feel I should list all my issues as then I could be traced as some are rarer.

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Neurofibromatosis type 2. Diagnosed when I was seven. Genetic and supposed to be 50% penetrant, but everyone in my mum's family inherited it.

4. worriedWardrobe

A.D.D.
    Voluntarily not tested/treated, although it was recommended by several doctors. It's mild enough that I can control it on my own.

Pyromania
    Again, mild. Doctors recommend that I stay away from fire, but I can control myself. Oh, how I love to see things burn... exploding is kool, too.

Arachnophobia
    I'm not talking about "ew spider" stuff, here. I back away, shut down, and cry my eyes out. Full on panic attack stuff.

Nothing too big, but I do have my "quirks". Are we talking just mental stuff, or other disorders? I have a genetic condition, Type 1 Diabetes, too

5. Lux

Lux

I've suffered from a dust mite allergy from an early age.

No seriously though it's really annoying have to wash my bed 24/7/365.

I also was diagnosed with asthma as a kid but apparently I grew out of it. I didn't know that was possible but apparently so!

6. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was diagnosed with OCD, PTSD, Panic Disorder, General Anxiety, and depression when I was 15. I had my first panic attack when I was 8. My dad was an alcoholic and a con artist. He had Bipolar Disorder and was a hypochondriac. His hypochondria rubbed off on me. I also had to deal with the continuous custody battles between my mom and dad. Though, I did have my good days and bad days.
    For years I lived in constant fear of telling anyone what I was feeling because I was afraid of being put in a mental institution. I have to say when I was 15 is when I hit my breaking point. I had a PTSD related panic attack so bad that I went limp and fell on my friend's bed. After that, I felt no emotion except sadness and fear. I felt like an empty shell staring out into the world. I no longer enjoyed the things I used to and I had an extreme lack of motivation. At that point I no longer cared whether or not I got put into a mental institution because I believed that nothing could be worse than how I was feeling at that moment. So I finally told my psychiatrist and he made me take a test. Within minutes he had a diagnosis. My main diagnosis is OCD and the other disorders are accompanied by it. He told me that I was far from crazy and that I always feel guilty because I care too much. He prescribed me with Lexapro, and within 2 weeks, I felt normal. It was the best feeling ever. I no longer worried about dying or messing up.
    I've come so far in my life because I told someone how I was feeling. Sometimes I wonder how I was ever like that because now I am so carefree.

Oh, and I also have asthma. I had a bad case of walking pneumonia when I was 16, and it damaged my bronchial tubes.

#6 Anthemic, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have some hearing loss from having over 100 ear infections as a child.

I have a defect in my left ear (which caused all of the ear infections... and all the bouts of bronchitis that I have today)

Chronic Vertigo which is also caused from the defect in my left ear.

I have a nerve disorder that makes me not able to feel pain as well as a normal person can. I forget what it's called.

8. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I also have Pseudotumor cerebri. Pseudotumor cerebri is a process affecting the brain that appears to be -- but is not -- a tumor. Symptoms include: visual obscurations, buzzing sound in the ears (tinnitus), dizziness, migraines, nausea, and vision loss.
    What's so weird about me having this disorder is that it usually occurs in women who are obese and about to go through menopause. Well, I'm neither of those. I weigh 118 lbs and I'm 21, lol. It started when I was 18 and I kept having migraines and vomiting. I kind of brushed this off because I assumed I was just having bad allergies. But when I turned 20, I noticed something was not right. I start having visual obscurations. At first they thought I had a brain tumor. I was very happy to find out that it was benign and nothing more than just excess fluid around my brain.

9. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Asperger's Syndrome, diagnosed when I was young. My parents sent me to a myriad of behavioral therapy sessions and group therapy session, with a bit of anger management therapy for good measure (I was a frustrated little child; I needed it). Their combined effects were surprisingly effective, in that they made me socially well-adjusted enough that I can often pass as neurotypical with new acquaintances. Only when people get to know me well (or when they're a bit socially maladjusted themselves) do they see the signs.

I had epilepsy and asthma (both diagnosed) when I was young, but I grew out of the epilepsy by the time I hit my preteen years and I grew out of the asthma by the time I finished high school, so I've been free of both for years now. :slight_smile:

While I've never been formally diagnosed, I suspect that I have some kind of anxiety disorder. It has lead to me being suicidal (haven't had those ideations in a while, though, thank goodness), feeling irregular bouts of depression, and being generally terrified in the face of normal life demands.

I also once read a list of symptoms of PTSD tailored for people whose traumatic situation was being suicidal (which isn't as far-fetched as it might sound; I was in a situation where my life was in danger of ending prematurely, after all), and I fit way more of them than I didn't. I haven't revisited the idea in a while, but if I were ever formally diagnosed with PTSD due to my suicidal past, I wouldn't be surprised.

10. Zontar

I can't really get dates with people. Whaddya call that one? Aside from that, I'm pretty much perfect save for cavities in every molar and some gum pain.

11. Deaf Not Blind

does it affect sound input?

---------- Post added 9th Jan 2013 at 10:52 PM ----------

My left ear is always worst for infections. I am happily hard of hearing so I didn't list it as a disorder. It is genetic, recessive, I would have to marry and have kids with somebody else at least a carrier of the gene to have any chance of children with it. Which in a way is too bad, as I would like to be a dad to kids who have my deafness! You never know, it could be very slight or profound, come on late in life or at birth, as gene expression is so unique.

12. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, though not too badly for me. I have constant tinnitus, and when there's background noise I have a lot of trouble hearing clearly. I'm lucky to have reasonable hearing at the moment, but it's likely that I will end up significantly hearing impaired in the future.

13. Vesper

I was a psychology major, so I have definitely received the warning of the danger of self-diagnosis. However, I have reason to believe that I have adult ADD, and here's why:
    • I'm often unable to recognize when someone is greeting me or otherwise trying to get my attention, and usually realize this too late.
    • I strongly dislike having to do anything that takes too much sustained mental effort unless it's in one of my current areas of interest.
    • I easily succumb to distractions when doing a task that I find less than interesting.
    • I have trouble finishing most of the tasks I begin. I have art supplies, musical instruments, and toys lying around barely used in my apartment, and countless interests that I never pursued very deeply.
    • I seem to do nearly everything of importance at the last possible minute, and because I have difficulty with estimating how long a task will take, I am often late or inadequately prepared.
    • Although I can be pretty organized when I really put my mind into organizing, I have terrible organizational skills because I simply feel overwhelmed.
    • I can't count the number of times I have lost things due to carelessness. Books, hats, pens, money...you name it, I've lost it before. (Luckily, I've managed to keep from losing my passport.)
    • Even when I'm reading or watching something interesting, I find my mind wandering and my body fidgeting. I need constant stimulation of the right sort to keep me engaged.
    • When I'm playing certain games or satiating my curiosity about a particularly interesting subject, I can get so immersed that I forget to keep track of time (and, too often, important tasks).
    • I have difficulty staying still, especially when doing a task I don't enjoy; my eyes constantly dart around, and my legs shake.
    • As my parents can attest, I do succumb to occasional angry outbursts when I keep getting interrupted while struggling to concentrate on a task (usually an unpleasant one that has a deadline).
    • I can be an impulsive shopper, especially when I'm in a state of anxiety.
    • I'm a fairly impatient person; I have trouble waiting my turn during conversations, and ran into trouble in school after having blurted out answers or taken out a textbook immediately after an exam.
    • I have occasional minor mood swings, especially from delight to anger and back again.
    • I'm terrible at handling stress. I usually exacerbate my stress by not working to resolve it, instead pushing my problems to the back of my mind with frivolous things like games and endless WWW surfing.
    • I have very low self-esteem.

#13 Vesper, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  14. Deaf Not Blind

I get trouble with background noise too, and low voices, and mumblers who turn their heads. Well, you can always have sign language and lots of Deaf friends! There are Deaf and HOH Queers of all kinds, some very famous in Deaf community. I read tinnitus really is miserable.

15. Fiddledeedee

CFS/ME, an illness which means my body doesn't produce energy properly so I can't walk too fast, stand too long, be in school too much, etc.. There isn't any treatment other than managing the fatigue as well as possible, which is fine by me; recovery is likely, and I can still do some school.

16. FranklinK

I'm bipolar type 2. I reach hypomania for a few hours and then go into a week or two of severe depression. hypomania is the mid point between feeling normal and mania. It's weird and I hate it.

17. Hexagon

I have autism, and I was once depressed, but no longer.

18. Deaf Not Blind

Autism seems to have a lot of various affects on a person. I have had 2 friends with it. One I don't have as a contact any more was a girl, wow she had issues from family too. Current one is male and deaf, and he just basically told me is stalking a girl. yeaaa. How to be a good friend to somebody I can't relate to? Oh, and neither of them date, the guy desperately wants a wife, and he always is asking why nobody wants to date an autistic person and I don't know nothing!

19. -Michael-

Major Depression

Anxiety Disorder

Borderline Personality disorder

Psychotic disorder (still in diagnoses process)

20. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

I have tinnitus as well. Heh, sometimes I wish there were a solution as simple as firing a pistol into your ear.