1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who are your heroes/role models and why?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by djt820, Jan 9, 2013.

1. djt820

I thought this would be a good thread idea. Who are the people you look up to? Who inspires you? Who has taught you something important? Who's the person that makes you want to amount to something? It could be someone fictional or non-fictional.

I have a couple:

Thomas Jefferson
    The man was a forward-thinking political genius. He was a leader in the Enlightenment, which is arguably the greatest thing that has happened to man since the internet, he wrote his own version of the Bible that took out any supernatural things and this was in the 18th century, and he was a founding father of the United States. When I think of a man that gets things done, I think of Thomas Jefferson. To be honest, all of the founding fathers were great but Jefferson had an attitude that I love.

George Carlin
    Carlin appealed to me most during earlier adolescence so around 15 or 16. I firmly believe that comedians make the best teachers and Carlin, while making my sides split, made me think. I was never exposed to such philosophies before and I couldn't think of a better introduction. He helped me start to realize what the world really is and I couldn't thank him more for that.

Batman
    I was a fan of Batman for as long as I could remember. I had the action figures and watched the movies and cartoons growing up to no end. I was fascinated with the character and still am. And when you read into the philosophy of Batman, it's truly astounding, tragic, and inspirational. He's the goddamn Batman.

So what are EC's heroes?

2. jp16

My Parents:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 10th Jan 2013 at 01:02 AM ----------

I have many heroes/role-models in fictional like Michael Scofield, James Bond, Katniss Everdeen, Harry Potter..there's a lot more.

3. Van

Van

Ellen DeGeneres! I just love her.

4. Deaf Not Blind

My grandfather: 1st and best example how to be a good man. He treated his wife with equality and dignity while being "officially" the one in charge...he never used it. He was a man, but didn't need to prove himself, he didn't fight, yell, lose his cool. He didn't get angry outbursts, and could not be drug into one by a loudmouth. He was responsible, reliable, dependable, hard working, and his boss begged him to come out of retirement. He respected children and women, the latter more than me. He was a pacifist, but would willingly die for his country if they wanted him to go...as he was no coward, just didn't want to hurt another man. He was a Christian...he didn't go to church, but he was, his deeds and his actions showed he had every part down right, he never lied or cursed and did not drink cuz it tasted bad. I never heard him bad mouth anybody. He was in control, but not a control freak. He taught me stuff like how a man is supposed to do things for a boss to not fire him, and how to fix cars, and how to be good to cattle on a farm. Is it any wonder I wanted as a child to grow up to be just like him?

Abe Lincoln: as a kid I was told about a president who helped to end slavery of blacks. he was a Republican. he was from Illinois same place my grandpa's family was from. he was killed for doing his job by an actor with no character. then as adult i found out he signed a paper which allowed my Deaf school to exist, the only Deaf university in the entire world even to this day. because of that act, there is hope serious hope to so many Deaf all over the world who looks at Gallaudet as a symbol of pride and wishes for freedom from oppression of Audism. to that president, I look to for how to be a good servant, careful, reasoning, and willing to listen to others for their advice how to make things better.

Jesus: as God, it is too much to say. so as a man, he was 1st one I was told that didn't say "let the little kids be seen and not heard" he said "let the little children come to me" and he answered their questions. then i learned how he said to love your neighbor, and love your enemies, and to forgive each other 70 times 70. he detested injustice, and when he would see cheaters in the temple court he got so angry he threw tables over and money flew everywhere and he told them off. he was not afraid to stand up for truth, or defend others with just clever words. when a woman who was low life scum to the men of the town came to him for forgiveness, as the men told Jesus to not be kind to her as she was bad, he did not judge her...instead he drew in the sand...perhaps a list of what the men had done wrong as God KNOWS their secret evil thoughts and deeds...and one by one the judgers left because they knew they were not blameless...they could not cast stones. he was not only good to children, and those who have broken moral laws, he was kind to others who had their religion off, were worshipping God in a wrong manner, and treated women with unusual equality to men. he taught them, and men in that place thought teaching a dog was more worth time than a woman! the Samaritan woman at the well was not only not respectable for being a woman, having her religion mixed up, and being a half-breed mix of races, she was living with a man she was not married to, and there had been plenty of other men before him! but Jesus did not tell her she was living in sin and to repent, he told her to bring her "current husband" with her to meet him. because of all of these things, not only is He worthy for being my God, he is a great role model to me how to treat others with dignity, and how to be a good man.

5. iBlakexo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My Inspirations:

Lady Gaga because she is so unique and not afraid to be herself. Also, she is an activist and stands up for the minorities especially LGBT youth :thumbsup:

RuPaul because he/she is so strong and proud to be an individual. He/she has written a very inspiring autobiography and has given great advice on how to ignore haters and live life to the fullest.

6. Van

Van

She's a big inspiration to me, too. I love her.

7. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

My mum and my grandma :slight_smile: Theyre just both so positive and happy! I wanto be like them

8. leer

Mum&Dad both really good role models .

9. Hexagon

My role models have a tendency to let me down/betray me/turn out to be faking it/lie to me/steal from me. I decided to be a good person without role models.

10. Kay

Kay Guest

Ann Bannon, Lesley Gore, Janis Ian Gertrude Stein and Alice B Toklas not necessarily in this order. These are some our sisters who lead the way and belong to our heritage as lesbian and LGBTQ by extension. They changed the landscape in their way and field that we could reap some of the harvest. Hus to all of them for stepping up and fighting for the cause.

11. aconite

Leonardo da Vinci... being an artist, inventor and scientist at once, I've always wanted to be like that.

12. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

13. Deaf Not Blind

^^ Yeah he was quite remarkable in all he did. Ahead of his time, and sadly not fully understood.

14. My martial arts instructors and Doctor Who.

15. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

Ellen is amazing!

My mother - most beautiful woman in my life <3

My best friend - For 21, she completely has her life together and totally knows exactly what she wants. She is almost done with school, has straight A's, a fiance, and her goals mapped out. I respect that so much. I hope to be that level headed one day.

16. TheBookReader

Lana Del Rey - Proof that perserverance and persistance can, indeed, have a positive outcome. Also, the fact she has battled alcoholism I find very inspiring.

Casey Hudson - A person I admire along with the entire Mass Effect production team. Believe it or not, the relatioonship between various lesbian and gay couples (Femshep and Liara and Manshep and Kaidan) helped me come to the realization that homosexuality isn't wrong. Love is love

17. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Ellen DeGeneres- She is such an amazing woman! To have come out on her sitcom the way that she did in the 90's was so brave of her!! To hear the stories about how nobody would hire her after she came out, so she made her own comedy show and went on tour, is inspirational! She has helped pave the way for us and she is such a positive role model! She is kind, caring, and giving, she's passionate and compassionate about other people. And on top of all of that, she's funny!!

My parents and my sister- I really do mean it when I say I have the best parents in the world. They have been with me through some tough times and have never left my side. My sister is one of the most helpful and nicest people I have ever met. My family is amazing. I feel so grateful to have a family as amazing as they are. :slight_smile:

My friend- She has helped me through a lot and when I came out to her she was so accepting of me, even though I had already knew that she would be. She nevers apologizes for who she is, and is so confident with herself. She's never afraid to make mistakes, always willing to try new things. She's always laughing and smiling and seems to look at things in a positive way. She doesn't let anything get into her way, or back her down.

18. IkeaMonkey

I never had a role model.

19. Aielar

- Mahatma Gandhi for his nonviolence resistance, his commitment to ending injustice in his country, and for his unwavering persistence to his cause.
    - Ellen Degeneres for her compassion towards other people, and for her strength as a celebrity icon for lgbtq people.
    - Sophia Bush for her strength as a public/inspirational speaker
    - Misha Collins for his charity (Random Acts of Kindness), his desire to change the world one random act of kindness at a time, and because he genuinely cares about people

20. IanGallagher

AMERICA'S FOUNDING FATHERS. Fighting for what you believe in when society at large says that you're wrong.

JAMES DEAN. He was really confident in who he is as a bi dude. Despite his agents trying to hold him back. He basically came out on a magazine and aimed for 'Rebel Without a Cause' to be the first bisexual film before the studios interfered.

HUGH JACKMAN. Back during the X-Men days I remember getting, somehow, e-mails from the cast of the film. One was Hugh Jackman and I think the other was Ian McKellan. It could have been from them or an agent. But I remember the words were to never give up on my dreams and to keep fighting because one day they'll become real. Well, I kept fighting and that day is rapidly approaching all thanks to that e-mail. It's part of the reason why I feel it's my duty to also pay-it-forward whenever I can.

BEN AFFLECK. A celebrity I actually communicated with directly. All the interns were hesitant to go up to him and say something so he came over to talk to us. I was the only one not too star-struck to reply back. Here was the big Hollywood actor and he was talking to us, the interns like we were on equal footing. Every time I think about selling in, I think about how awesome it was to see someone completely not effected by it and keep my head in the game.

MY DAD. He's flawed, but basically the greatest father a kid could ask for. Yeah, he had initial problems with me being bi. But throughout everything he's been there for me and serves as the role model of what I want to be someday to a kid of my own.

#20 IanGallagher, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013