1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is sexuality defining for a persons identity of prsonality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rainbow Panda, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Rainbow Panda

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have been in many crises through my life about sexuality where I've felt like my life could not go on till I found out, but once I became comfortable with my sexuality it didn't really seem to matter anymore because I found that I was still the same person.

How big of a difference do you think sexuality play in our lives? Do you feel like it has defined who you are or is it just a factor in the background of your lives?

I am just curious :grin:

2. Kay

Kay Guest

Sexuality if you mean Orientation defines my life as so much of my history is about the cause and revolution to see that LBGTQ people are treated equally. Being female I have fought for women's rights as well so in may ways being a lesbian female has defined me.
    These are not the only things that have defined me. Any Gay Rights have added to who I am.
    I am rooted to the LBGTQ Culture and Experience. (&&&)

#2 Kay, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  3. aconite

it doesn't affect personality... I think even if I'm straight I'll still fight for LGBT rights, and live the way I had always lived like. but it does give you a little different perspective, and maybe a little more passion about things you cared about.

4. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

I can't deny that it has affected my personality. If I was straight, I would probably refer to most homosexuals with slurs.

5. LiquidSwords

No, sexuality doesn't define who you are or who you should be. It only affects your personality in the way that you have a different experience of life being gay than if you were straight. Besides that you're just being who you are.

6. Eatthechildren

I would be a different person were I not Bisexual. I'd still be for gay rights, but probably no more than the people who think that Katy Perry has done more good than harm for LGBTQA people... I wouldn't know much about Trans people or Asexuality. And I doubt I would know I was gender fluid.

Thank god I like da pussay.

7. ForceAndVerve

I think being gay has given me the ability to be more empathetic and tolerant towards others.

So yes, I guess it can define parts of your personality.

8. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    Not for me. I honestly do not care what my sexual orientation is and I don't let it define me in anyway.

9. photoguy93

It did when I was unsure. I was just a little gay thing in middle school. I had no clue what was going on. I walked like a fricken super model because I just thought it was fabulous!

Once I realized what all was happening, and in the world, I became me! I'm feminine - but not crazy cray with it. I have my own way of doing things. I think that it's like everything else in the world with diversity - just because we are gay (or black, or purple, or disabled) doesn't mean we act the same or get along.

10. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

It basically controlled my life for years! I wanted to just sit down and think about it all the time to come to a conclusion. But now its just like another part of my life. I like girls, so what. But now its all starting up again with dealing with being trans, so the cycle continues! Only this time its nowhere near as intense. Its more of a journey rather than a joyride. Im not willing the answer to come to me instantly! I think its normal to obsess over your sexuality but it does work itself out and you do learn to just live life normally. But it does take time :slight_smile:

11. FruitFly

Sexuality can define the identity of some. For me it's just part of who I am and whilst it contributes to my identity it is not a defining aspect of it. The only thing my sexuality defines is my preference in sexual/romantic partners.

12. its part of who i am but not all of who i am.
    ive grown into it i guess. when i came out it was all too big, but now ive grown up and settled in its quite a comfy fit. idk if it affects my personality, well... it does because i can flirt with women more now than when i was 16 but ya. its part of who i am, but not all of me. i have so many layers gay is just one layer :slight_smile:

13. Zakky

Well... Although being gay didnt affect my personality that much, i did hold back many things that i really wanted to say or do but i didnt because i didnt want people to think that i was gay... Only recently when i have come out iv started acting and saying more of what i like such as having an opinion in things like clothes and commenting on my friends. My friends seem to like me more now and talk to me more. ^.^

14. kem

kem

I'm not very knowledgeable in the field of psychology so I don't know how a personality is formed for sure. That said, I believe our experiences shape our personalities to an extent. Homosexuality in a heteronormative society means having different experiences in life. I wouldn't be the person I am now if I were straight.

15. Naomilly92

Being gay has taught me tolerance, and has allowed me to be more open with myself, and less self-conscious on whether I'm being feminine or not. Even though I'm quite masculine

16. Lux

Lux

I honestly try not to let my sexuality define me. As a women I am absolutely an advocate for women's rights, but as someone with a history of same-sex relationships I believe that my sexual preferences should be as a big a deal as a heterosexual's--I therefore don't go to great lengths to tell people the intricacies of my personal life, since I wouldn't do that with a relationship with a man, besides the fact that I wouldn't go to great lengths to hide it, either.

I think my personality is the exact same, regardless of what I choose to do with my private parts.

(or who I fall in love with).

17. stupidIvan

i think it depends on the person, and how easily affected they are. for like me, personally, it hasn't defined my personality at all but it has given me a different outlook; demisexual and having a low libido, i will probably never have sex with another person willingly. so i've been able to relate to people on the asexuality spectrum and people with low libidos. sex is part of our society and a lot of us wonder "what the big deal is" so to speak. it doesn't really affect my personality but it makes me wonder about some things, which might affect my opinions and outlook at stuff

18. Kay

Kay Guest

I posted before and felt I needed to clarify. I was defined by the cause. It was a time of change and so yes I was known as the lesbian and defined as such. It does not need to be this way. In fact it is better to allow your sexuality be defined by your life. I think this is where I am today. Hugs

19. Lux

Lux

Yeah Kay that definitely makes sense to me. I think that our lifestyle can certainly be affected by our sexuality although it does not have to be.

20. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I think that being gay has changed me, in the way that I'm a lot more aware of LGBT people. I always thought that gay people should be treated equally and that there should be nothing wrong with them marrying each other, or being together. It's their life let them do what they want.

With coming out, and realizing that I'm gay as well. I'm much more interested in fighting for gay rights, and trying to make a difference in some way. I think it's made me more passionate about equal rights for LGBT people.