1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benefits of having a bf

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IanGallagher, Jan 10, 2013.

1. IanGallagher

Just thought I'd start a list showing the positives of a bf to neglect the stigma of it.

These are some cool things I've noticed as a bi guy:

- more security, a knight in shining armor
    - able to relax more, with girls you're always watching yourself - I'd be nervous about accidentally burping in front of a girl whereas with a guy it's no problem it happens (if that makes sense?)
    - you understand each other more, whole Venus vs Mars thing. Just being guys with a little extra.

2. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, that's why despite being bisexual, I'm fairly certain I'm only going to pursue relationships with guys. Things are so much more relaxed. Dating a guy would be fun, since you can combine romance with casually having a good time. With girls, in my experience it's usually more of a "test", where you're expected to perform your best to impress them.

3. ForceAndVerve

As Daniel Sloss said in one of his jokes:

"I wish I was gay, coz then I'd beable to hang out with my mates all day and get blow jobs."

:eusa_clap

In all seriousness though, the chances of me finding a guy who has similar interests to me are much higher than finding a girl who does.

#3 ForceAndVerve, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  4. IanGallagher

Yeah, def. Although I love the maternal side girls provide, kind of hard to explain, and will probably marry a girl (really because more girls catch my eye in that way). When I just really want a casual relationship (not meaning open, just a lot less pressure lol) guys are the safest bet since there are really no expectations other than just being together and seeing where things go from there. So despite leaning towards girls and more chances of having a gf, whenever I want a relaxed thing - dudes are that. So while there's stigma, there's a really awesome comfortableness that seems to come with it due to forming a relationship and finding out what that means from scratch. Overall, guys are just easier to be with.

#4 IanGallagher, Jan 11, 2013
  5. ForceAndVerve

I know girls are more likley to exhibit maternalism but guys can be paternalistic just as much! :grin:

Oh and also, sharing things like clothes, aftershave/deoderant etc

6. IanGallagher

Lol. Yeah. Just have no idea what else to call it.

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

So many gender roles being thrown around xD

You guys will find out how dramatic, complicated and confusing guys can also be. And in many cases, you will find out just how complicated, confusing and dramatic you guys can be :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Jim

Jim

I don't really like maternal natures in girls. I guess it's because I've grown up with a controlling mother, I want to get away from that... And I don't like people who play games in relationships because I can't understand them, so I'd never go for a girl or a guy who did that. I generally prefer going out with girls because I find guys my age very immature and just not very interesting (though maybe it's just my college, I'm sure there are lovely guys out there somewhere my age!) though I usually like older men anyway.

9. Iamthewalrus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not bisexual but one advantage I have found is that we can wear each other's clothes. This can also be a disadvantage if I wake up and find that he's already up and has chosen something I wanted to wear, but otherwise it doubles the size of my wardrobe without doubling the expense.

10. Mogget

Very much this.

11. MixedNutz

This is the truth.

12. IanGallagher

I really don't see how guys can be more complicated than girls. In all of my experiences the girl has always been more challenging to grasp and to understand. In that guys have always tended to be more straight forward with everything than girls.

13. castle walls

But that is based on YOUR personal experience and doesn't hold true for everyone. For example, I've had issues with guys that I've dated not being as mature as I am or not being the best partner on an emotional level but I'm not overgeneralizing and saying that all men are like that. That only holds true for those specific gentlemen that I dated.

If you continuously have trouble with the women you're dating perhaps you should pick other women. There are straight forward woman that are not complicated. It just seems that you haven't found one. There are even women that don't mind if you burp in front of them.

Can you prove that men are less complicated than women? Also, if you're going to attempt to use anecdotal evidence to prove your point, you should know that chances are you haven't dated enough women to make a statement on how ALL women act.

I realize that this is a light hearted thread. I'm sure that there are many benefits for a guy took have a bf such as sharing clothes (as previously mentioned in this thread). I'm not offended at all and I hope that I don't come off as hostile. My issue is that you're using gender roles to place all women in a certain box. A box that I and many other women do not fit into.

14. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not that girls are more dramatic or complicated, it's that it's easier (at least for me) to understand another guy. Most guys, shy or charismatic, share similar behavioral patterns, and the same applies to girls. It's just usually easier to understand the mind of another guy, if you are one yourself.

15. IanGallagher

Exactly. This. As said it's the whole classic Venus and Mars thing. Not saying that in a bad way either since what draws me to a girl is that whole foreign unknown. That whole mystery factor.

#15 IanGallagher, Jan 11, 2013
  16. Mogget

Speaking as a guy, not really. I've always gotten along better with girls than boys, throughout my life most of my friends have been female, and I think most of the intersexual communication differences people experience are a result of being socialized to treat the opposite sex as something alien, rather than something human.

17. 341

341 Guest

There is a lot of gender role stereotyping going on here, in my opinion. I myself develop friendships with the opposite sex quite easily; the majority of my friends have always been female. I would also argue that guys are more 'complicated', because as a culture, men tend to hide emotions. Also the stuff regarding things like 'burping' being comfortable around them, I would honestly feel disgusted if they burped in front of me. lol

18. silkfrog1292

^ This- the majority of my friends are girls, and I find them infinitely easier to relate than boys, they confuse me to no end! :slight_smile:

19. IanGallagher

Possibly. On the other hand though, as a guy with mostly guy friends, none of us have ever thought that way- granted speaking about all of my friends who are straight. Perhaps, somehow, the gender you are primarily attracted to becomes confusing due to that ever level presence of attraction. And without that that sexual tension fades away making it easier to communicate. Just a question as to the observation that most gay guys seem to have primarily girls as friends rather than guys, whereas most straight guys seem to have primarily guys as friends rather than girls, and bi guys are probably somewhere in-between.

#19 IanGallagher, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  20. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree. I don't think the OP meant to do so in any way, but initially it did come off slightly as stereotyping.

I also agree with this, too. In actuality, I find that "men" and "women" (at least in my perspective of a great majority, and how society overall tends to portray each gender [thus the quotation marks]) both have a distinct 'well of emotions', so to speak, yet the way in which each gender pulls from that well can be different. Keep in mind that different does not always mean unequally in a negative way, especially along the lines of the often held belief that men are less emotional and complicated than women, whereas that's not necessarily true...

As an example, women can be more open about their actual emotions, yes, and that may seem more complicated to a lot of men, but I fail see why that should fall as a fault on the shoulders of the women. But thankfully for many of us, there are several exceptions to these type of views -- so much that, honestly, it's hard to say without a fault that there's even a real majority either way. However, I do believe that because certain people in society, many people at that, are somewhat conditioned to believe that one gender behaves mostly in one way or another, we tend to focus more on those who stick close to these preconceived 'rules' rather than actually recognizing the many exceptions we may come across.

I find that women or men aren't that hard to understand, though, once you begin to really see people as individuals above all, rather than part of a specific gender (and therefore, subjected to said gender's behaviorial rules.) I've met many straightforward women who were very easy to understand and ones who were "drama queens", and I've also met men who I could barely understand at all on an emotional level (drama kings), along with ones who I could understand very well and were really quite simple.

#20 Thieves, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013